String change from Light to Medium

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'd say slap a set of mediums on it and see she how she plays. I'd bet that the nut probably isn't cut that precisely and mediums would be fine. The picture you posted does look like you have some room.

I'd still upgrade the saddle!

Actually given what we've seen from Westerly I agree about the nut slots, except I'd go ahead and do the nut too.
It really does help on open strings.
And for example I went to mediums from the lights (.047 to .053 E) on my F65ce before I "learned how to play it", and never noticed any difference in how the strings seated.
It was just that I was used to the feel of the lights and I was bending the extralights right off the fretboard.
A couple of years in, though, when I went back to the factory spec xl's, I discovered a tiny bit of bridge lift and never have been sure if it was there when I bought it or it was caused by moving up the gauge.
I think the top is thinner and braced differently than the dreads, and kinda wish I'd known about that stuff when I bought it.....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry Rich but I am just now seeing this post, Been kinda busy chasing 65 lbs puppies around, LOL!

Just to clear up pages of speculation on the subject, Since I was the recent owner of these guitars I can honestly say that I have run mediums (.056-.013)on all of them with out any issues at all or need to widen the nut slots. The string slots will handle the medium gauge just fine.

The strings that they shipped to you with Rich are Elixir Light HD's (.053-.013) which consist of a light gauge low "E", "A", and "D" string and a Medium Gauge "G", "B", and High "E" string set so they all already have Medium string sets on the top end. I had to switch from the full medium set to the Light HD 1/2 & 1/2 set due to the weakness in my left hand from my ongoing shoulder issue but I kept pushing out the higher strings with a full light gauge set hence the .013 medium gauge higher string set.

The G41 was set up for Medium EXP17's (.056-.013) when I had the bone nut and saddle done on it so there should be no issues at all what so ever. No more than a 1/4 turn on the truss rod if it even needs it at all.

The JF100 will handle the mediums (.056-.013) just fine and it shouldn't take more than a 1/4 turn on the truss rod to dial the action back in at low and smooth with the full medium set. I ran mediums on this guitar for a long time until I started having left hand issues due to my shoulder. There was never any neck creep or change in the neck angle geometry at all and I monitored these things to make sure. No need to worry about the carved heel giving way, LOL!

The Orpheum 12 fret slope came from the factory with EXP17's (.056-.013) on it and I ran those on it for quite some time without issue. Being that the neck is so short and stout along with the short scale there should be no changes needed. I didn't have to change anything on it when I went to the light HD's.

Like I mentioned earlier the string slots are already setup for medium gauge string sets (.056-.013) so it should just be the act of changing the strings to what you like and a possible small truss rod adjustment on the G41 and JF100NT-CRV but that all comes down to your personal preference.

Hope you are enjoying my former babies Rich and if you need any more info just feel free to ask as I have all the info and either did the work myself or had my Luthier do the work on all three of those acoustics.

By the way, I have the Nashville Custom Shop JF65CE sounding and playing great! I really do love that guitar.:encouragement:

TX

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Sorry Rich but I am just now seeing this post, Been kinda busy chasing 65 lbs puppies around, LOL!

Just to clear up pages of speculation on the subject, Since I was the recent owner of these guitars I can honestly say that I have run mediums (.056-.013)on all of them with out any issues at all or need to widen the nut slots. The string slots will handle the medium gauge just fine.

The strings that they shipped to you with Rich are Elixir Light HD's (.053-.013) which consist of a light gauge low "E", "A", and "D" string and a Medium Gauge "G", "B", and High "E" string set so they all already have Medium string sets on the top end. I had to switch from the full medium set to the Light HD 1/2 & 1/2 set due to the weakness in my left hand from my ongoing shoulder issue but I kept pushing out the higher strings with a full light gauge set hence the .013 medium gauge higher string set.

The G41 was set up for Medium EXP17's (.056-.013) when I had the bone nut and saddle done on it so there should be no issues at all what so ever. No more than a 1/4 turn on the truss rod if it even needs it at all.

The JF100 will handle the mediums (.056-.013) just fine and it shouldn't take more than a 1/4 turn on the truss rod to dial the action back in at low and smooth with the full medium set. I ran mediums on this guitar for a long time until I started having left hand issues due to my shoulder. There was never any neck creep or change in the neck angle geometry at all and I monitored these things to make sure. No need to worry about the carved heel giving way, LOL!

The Orpheum 12 fret slope came from the factory with EXP17's (.056-.013) on it and I ran those on it for quite some time without issue. Being that the neck is so short and stout along with the short scale there should be no changes needed. I didn't have to change anything on it when I went to the light HD's.

Like I mentioned earlier the string slots are already setup for medium gauge string sets (.056-.013) so it should just be the act of changing the strings to what you like and a possible small truss rod adjustment on the G41 and JF100NT-CRV but that all comes down to your personal preference.

Hope you are enjoying my former babies Rich and if you need any more info just feel free to ask as I have all the info and either did the work myself or had my Luthier do the work on all three of those acoustics.

By the way, I have the Nashville Custom Shop JF65CE sounding and playing great! I really do love that guitar.:encouragement:

TX

TX,
Many, many thanks for weighing in on my question. I figured you would respond at some point. I hadn't thought that your puppies would be 65 pounders already, romping around challenging you endlessly! LOL! Obviously naive on my part! You have put to rest my questions and concerns with all that information about the three wonderful guitars I have received from you. I haven't developed a favorite yet. I just keep cycling through them one after another, totally enjoying their personalities, and figuring out which songs go best with each of them. I am also very pleased to hear that the Nashville C. S. JF-65CE is giving you a lot of pleasure, as it did for me as well. I must say it stacks up with the very best Guilds that I have owned. The JF-100NT CRV is of course right up there too. Of course, the 45th anniversary, courtesy of Richard Peterson, is no slouch!

Best,
Rich

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX,
Many, many thanks for weighing in on my question. I figured you would respond at some point. I hadn't thought that your puppies would be 65 pounders already, romping around challenging you endlessly! LOL! Obviously naive on my part! You have put to rest my questions and concerns with all that information about the three wonderful guitars I have received from you. I haven't developed a favorite yet. I just keep cycling through them one after another, totally enjoying their personalities, and figuring out which songs go best with each of them. I am also very pleased to hear that the Nashville C. S. JF-65CE is giving you a lot of pleasure, as it did for me as well. I must say it stacks up with the very best Guilds that I have owned. The JF-100NT CRV is of course right up there too. Of course, the 45th anniversary, courtesy of Richard Peterson, is no slouch!

Best,
Rich

No Problem Rich. Sorry I haven't been on the forum as much lately as I normally am. The pups are taking up a lot of time and growing into some awesome dogs! I barely have time to play guitar for any extended period of time because like newborn babies, when they sleep you sleep or there won't be any sleep, LOL! I still have to take pictures and post New Guitar Days for the JF-65CE and my New Hartford GSR X500D Stuart model that I picked up recently. I do really dig the Nashville CS JF-65CE. I put it right up there with my New Hartford F50 Maple in quality and performance. They both have different tones to them but the same Great Play ability and quality that I have come to expect from a High End Guild. Also I am not normally a fan of "Barndoor" style Preamp electronics but if I had to have that type of setup it would be the Fishman Blender that is in the JF65CE. That is one of my all time favorite pickup systems for tone.

As far as the pups they are a week over 4 months old and I would estimate between 60-65 pounds each and getting bigger every day. Here are a few pics from this past week of the rare occasion when they do sleep. LOL. I am glad you are enjoying the Guilds my friend and take care!

xKkPbK.jpg
u0yLcn.jpg

TX