GAD-c3 Truss Rod?

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Guild GAD-C3 has a truss rod? I found one that I liked but the neck looks like it has a lot of relief in it and I don't see an obvious truss rod and didn't bring a mirror with me.

Found an old SW ad for the same guitar here and it doesn't say there if there is or isn't, but neither do their Cordoba ads which all have them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...gad-c3-natural

Thanks!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Dunno but I thought every Guild had a truss rod. I do recall that the GAD series had a truss rod that was accessed through the soundhole.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a classical (even though named for flamenco, it it apparently more classical), it might not have a truss rod. But, as a classical, the action would normally be higher than a steel string acoustic.

Hopefully someone has one and can verify one way or another.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Guild GAD-C3 has a truss rod? I found one that I liked but the neck looks like it has a lot of relief in it and I don't see an obvious truss rod and didn't bring a mirror with me.

Found an old SW ad for the same guitar here and it doesn't say there if there is or isn't, but neither do their Cordoba ads which all have them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...gad-c3-natural

Thanks!

I see a first post, welcome aboard flipguitar!
Classical with a truss rod?
News to me, never heard of such a thing.
Also be aware that GAD's were made under Fender ownership of Guild, so the current Cordoba practice may not be a good comparison.
Welcome.

Dunno but I thought every Guild had a truss rod.
Not the Mark VI, at least (not sure about the other Marks):
e.jpg

From here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...uild-Mark-VI-Artist-Special-Restoration/page6

Otherwise I'd say "yes" for steel flattops.
I do recall that the GAD series had a truss rod that was accessed through the soundhole.
Yes, but still don't think the classicals got them.
Truss rod is really an invention designed to deal with tension of steel strings affecting relief/straightness.
Seems like massive overkill in a classical where the string tension is exponentially lower.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The GAD classicals, like the lower Marks, did not use a Spanish heel; dovetail joinery, so its possible. But, traditionally, classicals don’t have truss rods. Definitely needs a view from the soundhole to be sure.

If if you don’t have a mirror, you can probably use the camera on your phone.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I stand corrected, not that I will remember and avoid generalizations in the future, that Guild classicals do not have truss rods.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I bought it anyway.

The reason I was hoping for a truss rod is the neck is bowed. I lowered the saddle as much as I could without sacrificing too much sound/tone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

The reason I was hoping for a truss rod is the neck is bowed. I lowered the saddle as much as I could without sacrificing too much sound/tone.
Appreciate the feedback.
Hate to hear that about one of the imports, one has to wonder, "why?" (did it bow).
Adding to that question:
Fender actually procured the wood for those and had it shipped in to "the factory", officially so they could maintain their QC standards, and not worry about whatever the factory used.
So what happened to that neck?
Offered so you won't be tempted judge a whole line or model's production by what's hopefully an isolated issue and maybe even a sign of having been strung up with something not suitable for it.
In case another comes along that you'd like to switch to...
:friendly_wink:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Sometimes a luthier is able to remove a bow with heat. Not something to try yourself, but if you have a guy near you, it might be worth a try.