Here I sit, broken-hearted

Reaction score
G/f came into the office/ music room looking for something. I stepped up to help and the base of a magnifying- glass stand fell off the desk and onto the soundboard of my ‘burst 05 F50R, which was in its stand in front of the desk. Just a freak accident, but oh man....a couple of dings on the way down and...
BIG gouge, and a fine, small crack in the soundboard right where it transitions from dark brown to light burst.

Took it to my guitar guy, he’ll stabilize the crack, and do his best with the gouge and finish... but it’ll never be the same! Breaks my heart, it was such a beautiful guitar!
Now it will have a battle scar, still sounds and plays great. But damn....

Coulda been worse.

Fingers crossed till I get it back next week.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A similar thing happened to my Martin 000-17SM, and the dark burst makes it a lot more apparent, so I feel your pain RR!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s like that new car in the way that the best thing to do with it is leave it a mall parking lot for week then you can truly enjoy it without worrying about the paint scratches and dings .

But I do feel your pain . :(

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
:sorrow:

I hate those moments, and feel your pain. You’ll go through the 5 stages of grief.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Now that you've "relic-ed" it, I'd call it "mojo"!

"Still sounds and plays great" is the most important thing!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed, TMG, but that's kinda water over the dam at this point...mine are almost always in their cases when I'm not playing them too, but I've managed to find other ways to ding them up.

That truly sucks RR; I'm sure your luthier will give it his best!

Like my buddy told me when I was obsessing over a scar I caused on the face of my mint 'burst DV-52: " It ain't no frickin' Stradivarius!" LOL, nothing like a good friend to put thing in perspective.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Have a friend with the imprint of an SM 58 ball screen on the top of his D 35.

I'll spare you the keep it in the case lecture.

I put a nasty two inch gash through to the wood a week after I got my '65 Epiphone Texan, but I was able to ask my luthier to try to match the new gash to the equally bad five or six already there. Olive oil and fine dust from under the couch did a credible job.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly why my guitars stay in their cases when not being played.

Sorry that this happened to your guitar.

I WAS playing it! I always keep my guitars clean, polished and in the cases when not playing them!
I had this out for about an hour, learning a new song . Had it on the stand for about 1 minute when the G/F walked in!
Shows you how fast things can go wrong even when you’re careful!

Reaction score
Have a friend with the imprint of an SM 58 ball screen on the top of his D 35.

I'll spare you the keep it in the case lecture.

I put a nasty two inch gash through to the wood a week after I got my '65 Epiphone Texan, but I was able to ask my luthier to try to match the new gash to the equally bad five or six already there. Olive oil and fine dust from under the couch did a credible job.

LOL... not laughing AT you... well, actually...LOL! Olive oil and couch dust!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the feeling. My D40C did a half-gainer when two dogs wrestling crashed into it. Cracked the side, gouged the front. Fixed it. Played it for 20 more years now. Still my favorite guitar bar none... But, it will never be the same. I know its scars like it knows mine, but I wish it hadn't happened.

As for leaving them in the case, I understand the logic. But my life is so busy, I find a guitar in a case is a guitar not played. Too easy to walk by a guitar in its case. Near impossible to walk past one in a stand. And, Lord, if I see dust on it, I have to take it down and play it.

"Made to be played" -- right?

I feel your pain...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
pr71SVk.jpg

beecee

Reaction score
Like my buddy told me when I was obsessing over a scar I caused on the face of my mint 'burst DV-52: " It ain't no frickin' Stradivarius!" LOL, nothing like a good friend to put thing in perspective.

A burst DV-52??? That ain't no buddy!