Here I sit, broken-hearted

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
This is one reason why I prefer older guitars that've been played a lot and knocked around a bit. If I ding/dent/crack a clean instrument it's super annoying. But if I buy one already dinged/dented/cracked it's character. :)

-Dave-

beecee

Reaction score
I feel the same way Quantum,

If I dare to pick up the Orph I feel like I need to dress like George Castanza, (all velvet).

EA4Qo7A.jpg
[/IMG]

jedzep

Reaction score
Never worry about cosmetic flaws, always worry about structural ones. Walrus had it right.

Shiny new guitars are very stressy. I just stripped Minwax Polyshades off the top of a pawn shop find '49 Gibson J50. Wanna' see gnarly?

I'm looking for a rescue Hoboken F30.

Neal

Reaction score
I no longer own an acoustic guitar made after 1981, in part because they were too pretty, and I couldn't take the stress.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
since it's your girlfriend's fault, just tell her to buy u a new one, ha!

seriously though, a dinged up guitar should be our worst problem. now every time u look at it, u can think about how much u love your lady...and how insignificant the guitar really is...hey maybe u will figure out a song on it?

Reaction score
since it's your girlfriend's fault, just tell her to buy u a new one, ha!

seriously though, a dinged up guitar should be our worst problem. now every time u look at it, u can think about how much u love your lady...and how insignificant the guitar really is...hey maybe u will figure out a song on it?

She felt so bad, she offered to pay for whatever repairs are necessary! Of course, I can’t let her pay... more than half. LOL!

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
if it doesen't change the tone, just go on playing the hell out of it. thats what they are made for. in the end a guitar is just a tool for joy, and joy doesn't need "the look" because it goes deeper. be happy that you now have a guitar with character.

edit: I bought my new M-20 B-stock, because I don't have to be afraid any more...more scars...more signs of love...

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Exactly why my guitars stay in their cases when not being played.
Plenty of people are like this but life is uncertain and accidents happen. If I had to go to the closet, get the case out, lay it out on a table or bed, open the case, and take it out before playing it.... I'd never play it!! AND I like to see them.... ALL of them. I've not had anything that sever but a bump and ding now and then. Sorry that it happened! But don't lock it away forever because in that case, it's' useless.

It'll be okay. Life and it's bumps and bruises. Sorry, RR!! :dejection:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Plenty of people are like this but life is uncertain and accidents happen. If I had to go to the closet, get the case out, lay it out on a table or bed, open the case, and take it out before playing it.... I'd never play it!!
Consider it to be a little extra exercise to make up for when it's too hot or cold to ride your bike.
:tongue-new:

OR:
To paraphrase my favorite line from Lonesome Dove:

"A man who wouldn't do a little extra work to play his guitar must not want to play it bad enough"

71YNgPOYDkL._SX463_.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My buddy owns a Martin HD-35. We were getting ready to jam, and he wanted to avoid belt-buckle rash on the back of his guitar so he whipped off his belt. Problem is, his belt buckle swung around and dinged the top of my D-25...urge to kill...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My buddy owns a Martin HD-35. We were getting ready to jam, and he wanted to avoid belt-buckle rash on the back of his guitar so he whipped off his belt. Problem is, his belt buckle swung around and dinged the top of my D-25...urge to kill...
ca565d2d6955111cdced4536026874de--lonesome-dove-quotes-james-jones.jpg

PS:
images

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Retro,

If you want to keep the girlfriend (note: I'm not questioning whether you want to keep the guitar :) :) ), make sure she doesn't feel guilty about it and definitely don't let her pay. That kind of s**t can actually damage a relationship for no real reason. The trick, since most of us I suspect have done some damage of one form or another to our axes (mine was humidity-related), is to make sure you protect yourself from having it happen again. I.e., learn a lesson. If you're leaving your guitars out on a stand, make sure nothing is near them that can fall. Cool beans. :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, boys and girls, the other extreme is to put the guitar inside a glass enclosure never to be played again like some collectors do. As Mr. Bill used to say: OH NOOOOOOOOOO!

Guild. Made to be played.