Almost first Guild Day... Making the leap, needing some help.

Dondoh

Reaction score
OK.
After reading an enormous amount of enabling prose on this site, I saw a guitar at a Guitar Center in Colorado (I'm in North Carolina) and bought it.
I figured that if it is terrible, I'm only out shipping and I will take advantage of their 45 day return policy.
They listed it as a JP55-12...
I'm assuming it is a JF55-12.

I'm really hoping that the collected wisdom on this site can help me make some decisions when it gets here. I will post some pics and see what everyone thinks.

It may turn out that it is in way worse shape than they claimed, and in that case it will go right back. This will be a player rather than a museum piece.

I figure I better get some strings before it gets here. I like an easy, soft, loose action generally so I am thinking of tuning in standard D (regular tuning one whole step flat) and possibly trying Newtone Heritage 12s.
Does that sound sensible? Any other suggestions?

I'll post pics whenever this enormous pile of wood and wire shows up.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Dondoh

Reaction score
Great suggestion. I use silk and steel on my main guitar.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats :)
Where in Nc are you ?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.....I saw a guitar at a Guitar Center in Colorado (I'm in North Carolina) and bought it.

That's the way to do it, Dondoh!

I figured that if it is terrible, I'm only out shipping

So no GC close by where you can just drop it off? If there's something visibly wrong with it that wasn't disclosed, you'll likely get a full refund, including GC's nominal shipping charge. :encouragement:

....This will be a player rather than a museum piece...

Here's hoping it's a kick butt player! What year/build location?

Dondoh

Reaction score
Westerly Label. Not sure of the year.We'll see when it gets here.
I didn't know they might refund the shipping, but it was only $25, so I figured if that is the worst case scenario, I get to play a lovely guitar for a week or so for $25. Best case I play it forever.
Cheers!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's a Steven Wright (comedian) quote, Ray. :laughing:

Who ? Never heard of him but the name is very common . I know lots of Stevens and lots of Wright’s there all over the phone book 😜

Dondoh

Reaction score
JF-55 12 eh. I need to watch GC used more. Unless it was well out of my comfort zone.
I just logged in on a whim, and there she was. Listed as a JP55-12 instead of a JF55-12... ... I hope it is in playable shape. I look forward to getting it in and tapping the collected wisdom here for advice.

UPS says Monday late delivery to my localish GC. I will likely pick it up on Tuesday.

Dondoh

Reaction score
Errr , yeah I guess, why would you want to ? I hate painting . ��

This reminds me of an old joke. I was travelling in Vegas and a beautiful prostitute approached me and whispered in my ear, "It's your lucky day! It's been slow for me, so I'll do anything you want for $100. But you have to describe it in three words or less." I gave it a minute of thought, handed her a hundred dollar bill and whispered, "Paint my house".

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of an old joke. I was travelling in Vegas and a beautiful prostitute approached me and whispered in my ear, "It's your lucky day! It's been slow for me, so I'll do anything you want for $100. But you have to describe it in three words or less." I gave it a minute of thought, handed her a hundred dollar bill and whispered, "Paint my house".

Lol 😂

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Veering wildly along that reminds me of the hobo who approached the mistress of an old southern mansion asking if she needed any handiwork performed.
Taking advantage of the opportunity she replied "Why yes, there's a can of pink paint in the garage and I've been saving it to paint the porch. You can have that job."
2 hours later the hobo returns to the house wiping the pink paint off his hands with a rag.
"Finished so soon?" the lady asks.
"Oh yes ma'am", he replies, "Weren't no big job, but I think you should know, that's not a Porch in there, it's a Ferrari."