Guitar Strap--What Information Does Maker Need

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As a retired high school teacher, I have former students who have settled in all sorts of occupations. One is a very good leather "maker" and I want him to make me a guitar strap. I have no idea about measurements. Each of my three Guilds have two buttons for attachment. Are the demensions, pretty much, standard or owner specific? First few things which popped into my mind were length, width, buckle, adjustment, ease of installing, and is it legal to use the word "GUILD" stamped into leather for others to see? What do I tell him, beside color, when he ask, "what do you want and what do you want stamped on it?"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if there are standard dimensions. I'd measure from a strap that I have and like. I'd personally not go for any metal - I have stupidly thrown a strap with metal into a case and regretted the results - so I'd look for other ways of adjustment. My favorite strap has several holes in a strip of leather at one end and "adjustment" means putting the strap button in the right hole. There is also the ladder like method as shown below.

91pkaJ7tkEL._SL1500_.jpg

I would be careful about what gets stamped. Several things, such as the G Shield and the word "Guild" in some scripts are Copyrighted and/or Trademarked so using them without permission creates a liability. The safest thing would be to not use anything. If you and the maker can sleep at night knowing someone out there thinks you violated Copyright Law you can do what you want knowing there is very little chance of getting caught. You could ask for permission but whether you get it is obviously an unknown. You could also try and establish a smokescreen that the strap is a gift in hopes that the absence of payment means there is no violation. Note that the maker is usually the person charged with the violation so you might not want to put a former student at risk. You may have retired but you are still a teacher.

All the above is for the official "logos" You can certainly have the word "Guild" on the strap in whatever (non protected) script you want. But then people in the know will see the word but not "the look" and you will spend all your time explaining to people that the strap is not a cheap knockoff but an homage to the brand.

crank

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about putting the word Guild or even a log on a one of a kind strap. Cordoba isn't going to spend the money it would cost to sue you for that.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I wouldn't worry about putting the word Guild or even a log on a one of a kind strap. Cordoba isn't going to spend the money it would cost to sue you for that.

It's about being able to sleep at night, plus the honorable example of Mr. Cozad's shirts to follow.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Take a strap with which you are comfortable and measure the distance from hole to hole. Then make sure your new strap is consistent with that plus enough adjustment a bit plus and minus to accommodate other guitars if you want to use the same strap. The location of the end holes in relation to the end of the strap can be an issue. Several of my guitars have strap buttons on the side of the guitar very close to the neck. Too much leather past the hole will make it difficult or impossible to attach you strap to the guitar. If using heavier leather decide how you want to attach your strap to the guitar. If you use strap locks, they can be very difficult to attach to the strap if all here is is a typical strap button hole punched. I use Schaller and I have the strapmaker provide for the diameter of the lock shaft, the flat washer, and the length of the threads. It can be a real bear to attach the nut to one of these locks if the leather is thick. You may want to provide locks to the leather worker if that's the way you go. Decide who you want to be able to read the strap if you are doing words horizontally. It should read properly with the neck end of the strap in your left hand if you're right handed. That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck and have some fun with it.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Make sure he uses leather that's rough on the inside and smooth on the outside; the rough surface will keep it from sliding around on your shoulder. Enjoy!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was, correct, I knew very little about straps. Thanks for the great suggestions - so far.

Frono: I will not copy any of Guild's print style just wanted the uneducated observer to see the word "Guild." I have a couple patents and copyrights and understand, perfectly, your above statements.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was, correct, I knew very little about straps. Thanks for the great suggestions - so far.

Frono: I will not copy any of Guild's print style just wanted the uneducated observer to see the word "Guild." I have a couple patents and copyrights and understand, perfectly, your above statements.

Watch out for potential interaction of leather dye or treatment compounds interacting with NCL finish if stored in case and/or contacting instrument for extended periods (more than 24 hours).
We've seen cases of dye leaching into the finish, for example.
As for the "one-off" logo thing, my conscience would be ok in the knowledge I wasn't attempting to exploit the logo for commercial purposes.
If I was the actual brand/TM owner and was aware of that point I think I'd be proud somebody wanted to promote the brand for me.
As long as I didn't think it might be the sign of an impending commercial exploitation.
In fact I think to have a chance of winning a suit for an infringement, actual damages (loss of income or brand equity) have to be proven ("No damages, no case")
Otherwise all you ("they") can realistically try for is an injunction against use.
"I think".
Otherwise how about just a simple "Guild Guitar"?
:friendly_wink:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
If the student is local just give him a strap that you like to use as a model...and just saying 'My' Guild on the strap should solve your other problem...don't worry...be happy.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If the student is local just give him a strap that you like to use as a model...and just saying 'My' Guild on the strap should solve your other problem...don't worry...be happy.[/QUOTE
Fronobulax forwarded me some information I requested on the "ladder type" strap with no metal and I forwarded it on to the "maker."

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here are a couple of (gigantic) photos of the adjustable leather strap I made. I had contacted Fender back when they owned the brand, informed them of what I wished to do, and received explicit permission to do what I said I would. Were I to do it, again, I would contact Cordoba and start over.

Dimensions of the strap are as follows:

Overall length (current setting): 51"
Main body: 3 x 39"

Hope that helps,

Christopher

Guild_Strap_2.jpg

Guild_Strap_1.jpg

GuildWreath.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here are a couple of (gigantic) photos of the adjustable leather strap I made. I had contacted Fender back when they owned the brand, informed them of what I wished to do, and received explicit permission to do what I said I would. Were I to do it, again, I would contact Cordoba and start over.

Hope that helps,

Christopher

Guild_Strap_2.jpg

Guild_Strap_1.jpg

GuildWreath.jpg
Thanks and best closeup so far. Exactly, what I want and thank you for information on how you contacted Fender.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hello

This is not USA - but here it is ok to make one for your personal use as long you do not sell it or use it to market anything unauthorized - so if I make me a strap with Guild logo and use it with my Guild guitar in public, it is no issue.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
hello

This is not USA - but here it is ok to make one for your personal use as long you do not sell it or use it to market anything unauthorized - so if I make me a strap with Guild logo and use it with my Guild guitar in public, it is no issue.

One is a very good leather "maker" and I want him to make me a guitar strap.

One issue is that the maker and the user are two different people. So the strap is not being made for "personal use".

Generally though, the situation is the same in the USA, someone could make one for their own personal use, but that is not the situation being discussed ;-)

F312

Reaction score

Hope that helps,

Christopher

Guild_Strap_2.jpg

Guild_Strap_1.jpg

GuildWreath.jpg

That is a very classy strap Chris.

Ralph

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One issue is that the maker and the user are two different people. So the strap is not being made for "personal use".

Generally though, the situation is the same in the USA, someone could make one for their own personal use, but that is not the situation being discussed ;-)

Hello

I agree up to . . . There is difference between me asking someone to make me one - or - someone approaching me saying he can make me one. So right on the thin line.. .

BUT - what if Stuball just has it done - and if anybody happens to ask he can always say : "Found it in swappers meet the other summer." Sort of like I have an obviously legit JBL satin jacket, that I put on when there was a seminar in MPLS sometimes mid-eighties. The head designer of JBL was there and he came to me asking: "Where did YOU get that - I don´t have one!" - so as vague as all Guild product history is - who is going to tell that it was never made by Guild.

Of course this goes into grey area - but Stuball is not intending to profit on Guild´s reputation. On contrary - wearing a strap like that might even draw positive attention and so affect positively on sales of new Guild guitars.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Guild is not going to go to a Guild guitar consumer and complain about a logo on a strap. At least if they want you to continue buying Guild Guitars. If you were making them to sell, you might get a cease and desist if you sold a bunch.

Christopher Cozad, don't read the above paragraph until after you get and process my order.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Stuball, I would suggest going to this site: http://www.brookwoodleather.com/ and watching the five part video on making a strap. You may pick up some ideas. His straps are very well made and gorgeous (for which you pay a pretty penny). You may want to share it with your former student as well. If I needed a really quality strap and money was no object, that's where I would go. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Not sure what happened to my link but here it is again: http://www.brookwoodleather.com/

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guitar has the Guild name on it...my custom made strap has MY name on it.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Christopher... that is a beautiful leather guitar strap. Did you do the tooling yourself?

I like the Guild "shield" and the Chesterfield logo, along with the "old school" Guild lettering! And I almost overlooked the headstock shape at the adjustable end of the strap. :encouragement: