Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidance sought

Guidance sought

I am wondering if I should ponder following our spiritual guide Hieronymus and think about putting one of the Alembic sets into a Guild.

Specifically a JS-II long scale or maybe one of those new M-85s or even a solid M-85 (which I recall our Monkey God favors).

Any opinions most welcome.

I've already decided to sell my Steinberger and Fender Performer bass (one of you should snap it up) to get down to four basses. But ...

I thought it was the hollow that MG liked, but I am easiky cofused.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Pretty much anything Alembicized would be awesome... if you're considering long-scale though, how bout the following? I've never been to drawn in by Pilot basses, but this is the one variation that really appeals to me: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gu...Bass-Guitar.gc

Blog Entries
    Hmmm.

A long scale JS is going to be hard to find.

I thought mgod preferred the hollow M85 and it was Ms. Crow who had the solid and apparently didn't notice the difference :-)

If long scale is the driver I agree you should check out the Pilot. They are cheaper and no one really gets upset about non-reversible mods to a Pilot. I really like the neck but I also recall it is much different from a P bass, in case that is a factor.

"set" suggests two PUs so I think there is a lot of work if you start with a Newark Street M-85 I.

Maybe it's time to see whether I can deal with the emotions of putting my JS II on the market ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Thanks folks. I find the Pilot neck to be too chunky, at least the one I actually held in my little hands.

Now & then long scale JS-IIs appear. In fact, one is for sale out in California.

We need Mgod to adjudicate on the M-85. He may prefer the sound of the hollow/semi-hollow M-85 but I recall he surprised me when he said he preferred the form of the solid body model.

POKING THE OLD GROUCH!!!

Meanwhile - did I put this link up before? Turning a lemon into lemonade. At quite a cost, but it plays so well ....
    http://kennebecinstrument.com/bringi...r-tuxedo-bass/
    Last edited by Happy Face; 05-24-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    Thanks folks. I find the Pilot neck to be too chunky, at least the one I actually held in my little hands.
    Chunky? Interesting. I spent decades avoiding 34" scale basses because because playing my college roomate's circa 1972 Precision gave my left hand pain and cramps. When I tried a Pilot and didn't have pain I realized it was not the scale but the neck profile and I would use "slim" not "chunky".

If you have a lead on a long scale JS then I think that is your answer ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Frono -

My sample size was one. So who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    When I tried a Pilot and didn't have pain I realized it was not the scale but the neck profile and I would use "slim" not "chunky".
    As I said in another thread, "Chunky is in the hand of the holder".
    Also don't forget all necks in Westerly were finished by hand although I wouldn't expect a huge variation in a given production run of a model, but possibly a more noticeable difference between different runs.
    And finally, over the last ten years I've noticed that my D40's neck, which is definitely thicker than the other 2 and which used to feel like it had a stiffer action due to that, has become "friendlier" to my fretting hand.
    I can only guess that my own aging is the variable there.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

The neck on my '84 pilot is one of the skinniest necks i ever played and very close to the '65 sf 1 i once had. The routing of the bridge pickup on these pickguard pilots also will perfectly fit for a soapbar size pickup. I know because now i have nordstrand pickups and electronic in it. If i was to alembifize a pilot, id go for one of this early ones.

Happy, I would maybe call about this one and have them measure the scale: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gu...Bass-Guitar.gc

I can't tell by the microscopic photos, but it looks like it might be long scale? I know that if it was a harp bridge it would be right to the back edge of the bass... but figuring in the extra length in comparison to the Muller bridge it's sporting, it might be back far enough? Also, can't tell if the pickups are farther apart on this one than the short scale spec

Also, how do you feel about these? https://www.musicgoround.com/p/89885...s-guitar-black
    Last edited by mellowgerman; 05-24-2018 at 09:03 PM.