Check out Today's Score - SFIII

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw this listed on Reverb for $850 OBO. I offered $700 and they took it! The specs on the ad were for the NS SFIII, so I wonder if they didn't know what they had, though they plainly listed it as a 2001. It is freaking *mint*. I suspect it may be earlier than 2001 - I should email Hans.
This has a very low CPxxxxxx s/n and is from Corona with the Corona sticker and a fender mark on the back of the headstock. It also seems to have SD1 pickups in it! I haven't yet pulled them to confirm, though. If not for the sticker and Fender mark (and S/N), you'd probably think this was a Westerly guitar.

I used to have a Westerly SFIII and I sold it years ago. I was bummed that I've never had one to review and this one came along. I'm stoked!

IMG_5982_1600.jpg

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Shwweeeet!...and great deal. When you are done reviewing that one....just ring me up...I could be your buyer.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those are NOT SD1s!

That's the first time I've seen Fender HB1s in the SD-1-type rings! Looks like there is some overlap and the whole adjustment screw identification thing is not fool-proof. I'll have to update my HB1 page!

Here's the internal pic of the adapter being used.

IPC_2018-05-23.19.19.51.6150.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats GAD! Great Score on a Great Guild! Really Glad it wound up here on the forum and with someone who will take care of it. What I wouldn't give for those pickup rings and adapters.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to say that I'm not disgusted by the pickups in this guitar. Maybe it's the airy nature of the guitar since it's a full-hollow with a maple body, but having plugged it in after I discovered the discrepancy in my expectations, I may have well been fooled into thinking that this guitar had SD1s in it had I not first looked. I may end up using this guitar as a testbed for my (not multi-yearlong) pickup experiments since I should be able to put all three pickup types into the same guitar without modifications to anything except adding some wiring quick-disconnects. I actually had a Starfire IV set aside for those experiments, so that may free up a Starfire. :emmersed:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Go GAD go! You are my hero. What a sweet deal. Looking forward to your review.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'm actually liking the Fender "HB-1"s in my X-170T more over time. They work well with modulation effects like flangers & phasers and don't muddy up like lotsa HBs when run through a RAT. Think I'll probably just leave 'em in.

-Dave-

Reaction score
Congrats, GAD. What a great deal on a kickass Starfire! I also think the Fender HB-1s get an unfair bad rap. They sound pretty good in my Starfire IV.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
See, I would have believed the seller description. In fact, I probably saw this guitar and skipped over it. I don't need a NS guitar, as I already have one I like. Do tell me how to spot the difference ? ( If you tell me they had a picture of the label, I'm going to hit myself.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
See, I would have believed the seller description. In fact, I probably saw this guitar and skipped over it. I don't need a NS guitar, as I already have one I like. Do tell me how to spot the difference ? ( If you tell me they had a picture of the label, I'm going to hit myself.

It had a picture of the label.

gxirgqxbzdmkkndrugb5.jpg

Also, this:

ubzamzuyds5ygdiayjax.jpg

The big key from a distance (assuming stock parts) is the different pick guard and pickups.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do tell me how to spot the difference ?

In addition to what GAD said, the horrible orange tip on the PU toggle gives most Newark Street models away. I think the tip is ugly but wonder if it was done deliberately on several models so there is an obvious visual indicator?