Lefty B-301A

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend Scott who recently passed away owned many guitars, all lefties. His wife asked me what I thought this one might be worth, it's the Ash version of the B-301, made in 1980 as far as I can tell. It has a little road rash, but no major problems. I'm thinking about 1,200 clams. What think ye? Here's a couple photos:

AFIVO3Y.jpg

3OQ0Y0n.jpg

N7Q7A09.jpg

Ce9Hoj0.jpg

7xXlUbX.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Since it's a lefty it can be tough to judge... this one might sell at that price if a lefty player sees the ad and it strikes a chord with him/her. However I'm inclined to say that used-market value, coming from a private seller, would probably be a little less. Righty B-301's in this normal used-but-not-abused condition seem to go for $700-900. The two pickup models get a little closer to $1k (or more if in exceptionally clean condition or a less common color).
Being lefty may make it a little more rare, but there are also far less lefty players out there.
That all being said, if there's no big urgency to sell, it can't hurt to post it on ebay and craigslist at $1200 and see if there's any interest.

For reference, here's a relatively recent sale of a lefty B-302 that sold for $850 on reverb https://reverb.com/item/7015515-1978-left-handed-guild-b-302-bass-all-original

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with you, mg, but this is a -301A which is the rarer ash body model with 3-ply maple-hog-maple neck, so I'm thinking it should be worth a few more shekels than a regular -301.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Good point, I did not take that variable into consideration... which is a bit ironic because I always used to rave about how much more "alive" my ash Precision bass sounded than all the other P's I had played. Is it headed for Reverb? That seems like it would be the best outlet for getting a full value sale. Also, I have been a member on talkbass.com for years and their classifieds section is a good place for sales of more unique basses (however they do have a policy that prevents middle-man/friend sales and requires the legal owner to make the sale)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I will be helping Scott's wife with the sale of at least some of his 29 lefty guitars (5 of which are Guilds, I believe.) I'm gonna try to move them locally first.