Oasis Class Cruise Ships are Rudderless

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've heard stories about elderly that book cruise after cruise. They have maid service, regular meals, medical care avialable 24/7 and its cheaper than a rest home. Not sure if the stories are apocryphal but it makes some sense.
I've heard the same story! Guy was on a cruise and noticed the crew and staff were very kind and accommodating to this one old lady. They approached her one day later in the cruise to see if they could join her. They asked her if she cruised a lot. She said her kids put her in a home for elderly with full services and it was awful!! She said based on her constant cruising, she got discounts and shipboard compensations for constantly cruising which allowed her to continue cruising, roam the world, and tip the hell out of the staff for LESS than she was paying in "the home". I do wonder if it's true, but all her medical was covered by the cruise ship she said.

Azipods have been used for years now on new builds because the newer and BIGGER ships have to be far more maneuverable in small ports and spaces and Azipods allow for that. It's hardly new technology but it is kinda fun..... until they break or malfunction. Then it's back to Germany or wherever to get it repaired or replaced.

I love ships. But I love the old ones! I hate to see the SS United States,a retired luxury passenger liner built in 1950–51 for United States Lines at a cost of US$79.4 million ($749 million in 2017).[1] The ship is the largest ocean liner constructed entirely in the United States and the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction, retaining the Blue Riband for the highest average speed since her maiden voyage in 1952 still to this day!!

And she's sitting in Philadelphia rotting away ..... too sad. People keep trying to save her but every year that goes by..... she just rots and rusts and.... it'll be a sad day when she goes to the breakers. :sorrow:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love ships. But I love the old ones! I hate to see the SS United States,a retired luxury passenger liner built in 1950–51 for United States Lines at a cost of US$79.4 million ($749 million in 2017).[1] The ship is the largest ocean liner constructed entirely in the United States and the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction, retaining the Blue Riband for the highest average speed since her maiden voyage in 1952 still to this day!!

And she's sitting in Philadelphia rotting away ..... too sad. People keep trying to save her but every year that goes by..... she just rots and rusts and.... it'll be a sad day when she goes to the breakers. :sorrow:

I drive by her twice a day to and from work - her distinctive stacks are visible from the Walt Whitman bridge. Her interior's been stripped, and there are periodic attempts to do something, anything with her. Here's a nice little piece from WHYY in Philadelphia about her.

At the height of the cold war, her top speed was classified - we didn't want the Russkies to know how quickly we could reinforce troops in Europe.

beecee

Reaction score
I've heard the same story! Guy was on a cruise and noticed the crew and staff were very kind and accommodating to this one old lady. They approached her one day later in the cruise to see if they could join her. They asked her if she cruised a lot. She said her kids put her in a home for elderly with full services and it was awful!! She said based on her constant cruising, she got discounts and shipboard compensations for constantly cruising which allowed her to continue cruising, roam the world, and tip the hell out of the staff for LESS than she was paying in "the home". I do wonder if it's true, but all her medical was covered by the cruise ship she said.

I've toyed with the idea myself. My wife got me to take a few about 15 years ago. Prior to I'd never consider going on the water in anything bigger than my Old Town Canadienne. We have not been on any since but for two to live aboard, w/meals etc and just using a small cabin to sleep in, (there are some pretty good libraries on the ships I was on), I'd rather do that then a senior home. And like Tom said, repeat customers get discounts.

But I'd have to sell a few guitars, and dogs, and cats.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And before the SS United States, was the SS America..... an AMAZING ship with an incredible history in peace and wartime. Check it out if you like.......HERE

And I think it's mostly gone now. Being towed to the breakers she ran aground on Fuerteventura in 1994. The ocean had her way with her and now there's nothing left. Such a great ship with a rich history!!

rzuLbt.jpg

Last edited: