Your favorite guitar and why ?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's really the thing. I won't play the "good, better, best" game because if there was a "best" that was consistent, you would only need one guitar, right? Depends on the mood, depends on the style, depends on the tuning and it just all DEPENDS and my mood and tastes change over time and sometimes they come full circle. So this is a pointless conversation. I own six guitars. I love them all for different reasons. That's like asking which child is your best one. How do you answer a question like that? So Ray, I say it's a silly question. I know you really love your new guitar. I'm sure I'd love it too. But I have my own new guitar. And they're very different. Let me rephrase..... it's not a silly question, it's a pointless question. Fair enough?? :encouragement:

I feel that same way Tom. I am very fortunate to own so many wonderful guitars. Whenever I think of thinning the herd, there's no way I can come up with one to sell because they're all so good. Now that's a first world problem if there ever was one!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There are several players whose "favorite" instrument is now selected from the collection of instruments that they can play without pain. Between injuries and age related degeneration there are people who report that they cannot play a jumbo or a dread anymore.

True and that’s unfortunate if they do like the big girls . I may have to reduce in body size as well one day but as long as can play the F30’s I’ll be good .

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the only Guild acoustic I still have - "Louise," my trusty old '76 D-25M, 'hog archback and solid spruce top. And yes, Braz rosewood bridge and fingerboard.

UbmDQlc.jpg

1kzIwAL.jpg

To frono's point, I sold my '81 F-512 because it caused me pain in the left hand. And I just gave the DV-52 to my son, so that leaves me with Louise. She's still leading sing-alongs at least twice a week and in great playing shape after 42 years of me banging on it, just nicely broke in LOL.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's the only Guild acoustic I still have - "Louise," my trusty old '76 D-25M, 'hog archback and solid spruce top. And yes, Braz rosewood bridge and fingerboard.

UbmDQlc.jpg

1kzIwAL.jpg

To frono's point, I sold my '81 F-512 because it caused me pain in the left hand. And I just gave the DV-52 to my son, so that leaves me with Louise. She's still leading sing-alongs at least twice a week and in great playing shape after 42 years of me banging on it, just nicely broke in LOL.

That’s cool ;)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the only Guild acoustic I still have - "Louise," ... ... so that leaves me with Louise. ...

"They said - that Louise - was not half bad
It was written on the walls - and window shades"

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My favorite acoustic guitar is almost always the one I'm currently playing. Guitars that can't measure up to that tend not to stick around long. (I'm much more tolerant with electrics, but they're more like toppings on the pizza or spices in the dish whereas the acoustics are the main ingredients.)

-Dave-

Br1ck

Reaction score
Meant to quote request for sound example of my Epiphone Texan.........

Paul McCartney recorded Yesterday on a '64. The Texan came into existence when Gibson bought Epiphone. They had a bunch of Epiphone necks they needed to use, so they started off putting them on J 50 bodies. Sold them all so kept it in production. It was a long neck J 50 in essence.

My guitar tech told me the Doobie Brothers bought a few when he was a dealer. Mine has the much maligned adj bridge and skinny little 1 5/8 neck, but my hands are small and everyone raves over the tone.

I was Gibson shopping and it was in the Sylvan (Santa Cruz) vintage room. Killed four hours playing it, which hasn't happened to me in forty years, so I figured it was a sign not to be ignored. Not to be confused with the MIC reissue in any way.

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
There are several players whose "favorite" instrument is now selected from the collection of instruments that they can play without pain. Between injuries and age related degeneration there are people who report that they cannot play a jumbo or a dread anymore.

That's pretty much where I am at in my life. My Guild NH F-30R Standard is pretty much the only guitar I play anymore. But I am looking at the glass as being half full, rather than half empty, as this has allowed me re-focus on actually playing guitar rather than cleaning and maintaining guitars I no longer can play. This has allowed me to also simplified my string selection to one brand / one type of string too...:encouragement:

As I'm culling my guitar collection, I'm feeling more and more freedom and room to breath as my collection has become a stumbling block for me, and no longer an asset. It's hard for many of us to come to terms with as we age. Ultimately, I'm looking at downsizing to one guitar; an OM sized guitar like my Guild NH F-30R Standard.

Tommy

bobouz

Reaction score
Gibson J-185.
Super comfy small jumbo size, 24.75" scale, & punchy maple tone for fingerpicking.

Lots of other good stuff, too, but if it had to be pared down to one.....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, that's where the name came from, Nuuska! (I capo 3 and play it in "G."

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I feel that same way Tom. I am very fortunate to own so many wonderful guitars. Whenever I think of thinning the herd, there's no way I can come up with one to sell because they're all so good. Now that's a first world problem if there ever was one!
So true, Sandy! If I had to give up one, it would be the Washburn and it's pretty and sounds decent plugged in and in a lowered tuning it's awesome and I could only get maybe $200 (if I'm lucky) for it so..... why would I worry about that? Nope. I'm keeping them. One day I know they'll have to go. And at THAT time I'll do some serious thinking. Until then, my favorite guitar is all of them!! :victorious:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Split between Guild DD-6RCE and Martin 000-28EC. Two very different guitars that shine in different situations.

The good old D-25 comes in close behind, however.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I generally have favorite guitar of the week :biggrin-new:

But for the last two weeks or so, this well-worn '68 Hobo D35 has been
knocking my socks off and I can't put her down for long.
May be the lightest Guild dread I've ever owned, 4.3 lbs of sunburst sweetness...

iKnEcSz.jpg

LOVE that 'burst, (only kind I really like, that type, and cherry. In fact it almost is like a very light cherry 'burst)
But that "68 Hoboken" thing caught me up. We know Westerly was already open in '67 and started with M20's.
We know there was production overlap between Hoboken and Westerly but I thought all the acoustic production was mover to Westerly first, and that Hoboken was largely only electrics at the end**, and that in any case "All production had moved to Westerly by 1969" if I'm quoting the Guild Guitar Book correctly.
So we know a '68 will still have a Hoboken label because thy kept on using 'em in Westerly until they ran out ('70, "IIRC") but is there any other reason you believe it's actually a Hoboken?
I also find it interesting that you're citing the lightness of the build which has been noted as a Hoboken characteristic that was carried over in early Westerlys.

** And I have to admit that I can't cite the source for that but am looking for confirmation.
I think Hans does mention in the GGB that some repair and storage was going on in Hoboken after "the move", but don't think he specified the electric only thing when I was looking for confirmation of that a while back..think I picked it up here several years ago.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Primary reason the F65ce became my favorite, but there's still a certain "punch" to the D40 and overall versatility to the D25 (best "stand-up bass mimic" capability) that means I love 'em all about the same, sound-wise.
I admit I'm hoping that a nice full-depth F40 might be the one guitar to rule them all, even thinking F47R would get some rosewood into the collection and get the punch of the D40 and the bass of the D25 with ergonomic comfort of a Grand Auditorium body.
And as long as I want to buy new and Oxnard ain't makin' 'em I'm safe from worrying about how I'm gonna afford it!
:glee:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I just bought an '87 D50 NT through Reverb 6 weeks ago and I've been comparing the sound to my other guitars. For open strumming, I think I give the edge to my '84 D40. It just has a warm, robust sound that's hard to beat, whether strumming loud or softly. It just always projects. For picking, I have to give the edge to the D50. That rosewood just seems to be perfect for picking single notes. However, for live gigs, it's tough to beat my Taylor 414ce. It has a Fishman Prefix pickup system that sounds amazing live. But I love the way all my other guitars sound as well. Each has it's own personality.
Tony
'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 (basically a D25 12 string)
'00 Taylor 414ce

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I understand our love for all the guitars we have if we didn’t we wouldn’t have them so in that I feel the same .
I honestly don’t get to play all of mine fairly maybe it’s because my home is in disarray lol and the fact that I don’t have a dedicated room for music . I have a more open floor plan so any activity is audibly heard especially my son in his room with the door closed play Fortnight on . Lol
You wouldn’t believe the comments and rage I hear lmao .

Anyway my Cv-1 just took a back seat the new F55e and I feel guilty when I look at her all alone by my recording desk :( . Maybe I just got to get past the new thing ?

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It's a no brainer for me. I don't have them in my signature, but have probably owned 20 or so guitars over the years. Those include a very nice Santa Cruz D model, along with a Collings CJ I presently own. Without a doubt, if I could keep only one, it would be my DV72 for a combination of reasons, not the least of which are it's incredible playability and ever so sweet tone. So far, to me, it's the best fingerstyle guitar I've played. The Collings also has an awesome tone and it's a louder guitar than the 72, but it's my only true short scale guitar, and I find myself stepping on the frets from time to time.

West

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 1970 Guild F-20, which was re-topped and refinished by Guild in 1980. So it is a short scale Hoboken design with all top cosmetics and under-the-hood bracing of the heavier designed (typically long scale) Westerly design. so in it's current state it is a one-off in that regard, for sure.

but that is not the reason she is my favorite. For an acoustic, the tone and playability for me is true perfection. the feel is of an electric guitar, and with the help of LTG in finding the right strings (Ralf on the other side of the pond!), this guitar simply put is pure gold. I also really like the M-20, mainly for the same reasons, however the M-20 is a more specifc (mahogany top) tone, a phenomenal one no question...but for a spruce top guitar to sound so refined/contained and not so brashingly loud, and still sound like the best mahogany back/spruce top tone I've ever heard, and to feel like an electric, even the weight is perfect, everything about it is just perfect.