New Strat

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good Morning,
I've been thinking, dreaming, of that single coil bliss. A maple fretboard bolted to a alder body and a five way switch. Well....I bought it! I saw a 60th anniversary 50s Classic Player Strat on Reverb. Desert Sand nitro finish, nitro neck, gold hardware, gold anodized scratchplate, and other bling. Used, but in good shape...a few edge chips, but otherwise excellent. Made in Mexico, but has American hardware and Fender classic Pups. A beauty! And the price was fair, better than fair maybe.
She's shipping out of Savage, MN...which sounds pretty, well, savage. I should get it by Thursday. The S25 I just purchased should arrive the same day. Maybe TOO much excitement and anticipation to cram into one day.....but fate decided this would be. I mean maybe shipping will be a tad faster for one or the other....or maybe even slower.....you know I'll be tracking on a daily basis. But until then, sugar plums dance in my head.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Nice!...congrats. I'd given up on electrics...just never could get any tones that I wanted with a Std strat or tele. Recently got re-interested and picked up a couple including a P-90 driven hollow body....then another Tele but this time an AVRI. Really enjoying getting back to electrics a bit...super fun. I hope the guitar is everything that you are expecting.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Was it perhaps LaVonne Music store - Peter Wagner was there back when I was at Jim Berns - I have been trying to contact him lately without success. Pete used to have fantastic collection of Gibson Archbacks ( Gibson Quasimodos )

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've got one of those…picked it up when they came out (in 2014). Very well made, plays great. I like the desert sand finish too. Reminds me of a friend's '50s Duo-Sonic I used to enjoy playing. I did end up replacing the anodised pickguard with a plain parchment one 'cuz I wasn't crazy about how the metal guard darkened the sound. But I tend to like my Strats on the bright side so YMMV. With the plastic guard it sits sonically in-between my warmer Fender Japan '62 Reissue and wiry & scooped '78 Fernandes. Oh, I also like the neck + bridge pickup option. Gives the guitar more of a Tele vibe.

-Dave-

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nuuska, it was indeed LaVonne. I spoke with a few people there. I google the phone number. I got a fantastic deal from them and they were super helpful.
Quantum Strummer, thank you for the information. I have had several strats and got the itch once again. I've been looking at the Japan strats as I owned one years ago and it was pretty nice. I've also heard some great sounding Fernandes. I just bought a S25 on EBAY on whim, while browsing mostly single coil guitars. But this one just jumped out at me due to several nice features. Color, maple neck, nitro, hardware and electronics, to name a few. And they are normally up there in price, mine was basically Mexican standard in price. And as you said, it's a great vehicle for customization if desired. I cannot wait to try it out!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Bowenite60 - I have their website and phone number - I do not want to call overseas. Might well be Peter is no more there or he does not care to answer. Reason I was asking is that waaayyy back when I was young i wanted a certain kind guitar. I designed it and had Matti Nevalainen - the maker of Flying Finn Guitars - http://www.flyingfinnguitars.fi/f_guitars.html - make it for me. At that time he was at beginning of his career. Anyway - it was a solidbody 12-string with 24 frets free of body. Single coil pick-ups. I have written to Peter if he still has it or if he knows where it might be - no answer.

It could well be that LaVonne is completely new people - and if nobody knows Peter - that´s why I never got answer. In the end it is not THAT important. Old things just pop up and one wishes to know etc...