What does everyone think of this? Name strike a bell?

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
The neck is obviously Hoboken era. The writing in the guitar is dated 1996. This is about the time that Fender purchased Guild. Makes me wonder if this was a dumpster find. Alot of stuff was discarded during clean up..... interested what others think.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno. I don't think the headstock shape is right for any era. But if someone had started with an original and smoothed it out... I note that it is a decal on the headstock and am not sure what time, if any, that applies to. I think the price and shipping are optimistic.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The neck is obviously Hoboken era. The writing in the guitar is dated 1996. This is about the time that Fender purchased Guild. Makes me wonder if this was a dumpster find. Alot of stuff was discarded during clean up..... interested what others think.
Don't think Fender dumped anything until closing Westerly in '01.
In any case, I've had a pretty good eye for this stuff in past and thanks to Frono even took a second look.
Don't think any part of that's a Guild, except maybe neck as you said, but only if a "crown" had been modified to try to duplicate a "lips" style, from what I can see.
Other points:
Location of cover screw holes around truss rod slot/ access slot cut all the way to nut.
Frets don't look right, and something about board doesn't look right either, like it's been dyed.
Although heel is rounded and we know there was a "flatter and "rounder" profile depending on body neck was joined to, that one's just too round.
Interior bracing is way too sloppy for Guild (crooked center strip)
Guild only used herringbone rosette in a limited number of models like the DV52.
It might be a Guild top, but even bridge is wrong.
Finally, body shape looks a wee bit too flat on bottom.
Along with Frono's observation that the logo looks like a decal, I wouldn't even look any deeper into this one.
Now, if it had an s/n stamped on back of headstock then maybe I'd be tempted to look a little deeper.
Edit: I see Hans slipped in while I was composing...what took me about 5 minutes he probably eyeballed in about 10 seconds....LOL!!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just took some time to read seller's notes and to their credit it seems like they're trying to be as upfront about it as possible.
I was ready to make a snarky joke about "Wickedmessengermusic" and what's in a name?.
:friendly_wink:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just took some time to read seller's notes and to their credit it seems like they're trying to be as upfront about it as possible.
I was ready to make a snarky joke about "Wickedmessengermusic" and what's in a name?.
:friendly_wink:

Best me to it ,
Here it is .

This one is a bit of a mystery. Up for auction is this vintage acoustic guitar project. The guitar features all solid wood construction, NO LAMINATE. It resembles a Guild guitar but has not shop label or serial number. The guitar is hand signed and dated in the sound hole. It is more than likely that this was a vintage hand made guitar someone slapped a Guild sticker on. The guitar has a few cracks that appear glued. The braces all appear fine. The guitar needs hardware. There seems to be some neck separation so I'm assuming it needs a neck reset. Feels like it could use some fretwork. There's a nick on the back of the neck, which is NOT a headstock repair, but either a blemish or a tool mark. Please view the photos and bid accordingly, this is sold as-is.

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
I emailed the seller. He is selling some guitars he acquired from the estate of a luthier who passed away suddenly. He was in the process of starting his own business. The seller believes this may have been something that someone stuck a Guild sticker on sometime after the man passed. The inscription inside the guitar reads "Greg Roots second guitar 1996". Greg was the person who passed.
Interesting story, to me at least, and tragic. Godspeed to Greg. RIP.