Home of Lynyrd Skynyrd, .38 Special is official history

CA-35

Reaction score
Historical_Van_Zant_House_18635.jpg

Property owner Todd Smith and Charles Harding who lives in a mobile home behind the house and is helping with the renovation and restoration project with the historic marker to be put up on the Jacksonville, Florida property Tuesday, May 8, 2018. Todd Smith has bought the old 1970's Van Zant family home where Ronnie and Johnny Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Donnie Van Zant of .38 Special all grew up. Their parents both remained in the home until they died and now after it was chopped up into apartments and then left empty and neglected by another owner, Smith is renovating and restoring the historic site. Smith plans to turn it into an AirBnB for Skynyrd fans and will be installing a historic marker at the property that already draws fans of the iconic Southern Rock band

Somewhere Ronnie is up there right now with a big 'ol southern grin...................RIP my brother.

gilded

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals,

I sent this link to my Brother in Law, who grew up about 5 miles from this house.

Bro in Law said that some 'early version' of Lynyrd Skynyrd played at a dance he went to in 7th grade (circa '67-68). I asked him what type of music they played. He said mostly covers, but he recalled, "shuffling awkwardly to a long, slow 'jam'."

He had friends that went to the same high school as the Van Zants. He said that none of his friends liked Coach Skinner any better than the band did!