Reaction score
XVSnXmM.jpg
[/IMG]
jj7u0Ii.jpg
[/IMG]

rest of guitar is superb-o

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
From the pictures, it looks like the heal is lifting.
You may be headed for a neck reset.
Not at all fatal though.

beecee

Reaction score
It's a D-70. My ears are telling me stupid things....ignore that fault!!

Neck joint is super tight, can't find a void, looks more like impact damage, which can be scary as well.

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
I would guess that chipping is from an impact, and possibly the heel cap shrinking.

Better that you not take a chance. Just send me the contact info for that seller in a PM . . . :victorious:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Neck joint is super tight, can't find a void, looks more like impact damage, which can be scary as well.
Yet another vote for that, but if there's no sign of collateral issue like fretboard separation from top, and it's not recent damage (like within the last couple of months), then it's fine.
I'd even expect a pretty easy repair job except for recent comments about how the evolution of NCL formulations has made formerly easy repairs a little dicey.

beecee

Reaction score
Best shot of fret board/top. Note the brown stripe

BDJ00cU.jpg
[/IMG]

, not a void.

No way to know age of damage.

beecee

Reaction score
Anyone recognize the S/N?

aJ5f4eu.jpg
[/IMG]

beecee

Reaction score
Would you believe it walked into a Guitar Center?????

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've come to believe that very little is fatal.(except in humans) It may cost a few bucks to address the issue but who cares? If it's a guitar you like just get it taken care of and enjoy the hell out of it. I can tell you from personal experience (twice) that the D 70 is a superb Guild model and likely well worth the repair cost. You just don't see them often. Or, better yet, if it makes you nervous, just sell it to me.

bobouz

Reaction score
Looks like the neck heel began pulling away from the body, while the heelcap stayed in place - thus causing distress to the finish at the junction point.

It would seem best to not just leave things alone, since this region of the instrument has apparently now been weakened by some sort of impact. Imho, a qualified luthier's assessment is in order.

Hope it all works out well.

beecee

Reaction score
Thanks all, I'll have it in my local luthier's hands by the end of the week.

I would have probably passed on a lesser instrument...but a D-70? Sure is hard to let it slip away without a real good look from someone smarter than me.

Who knows when I'd see another.

Thanks for answering my "alarm"!

looks like the neck heel began pulling away from the body, while the heelcap stayed in place

pretty darn strong glue for that heel cap. Wish they had used it on my previous D-4's. I've never owned one w/an intact heel cap!!!!!

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
Remelt that lacquer. With Cellosolve. Brush on with a small hobby brush, it will melt and flow. Then wet sand etc.

docfishr

Reaction score
And while your luthier has it, have the frets checked out. It looks like they have been milled but not properly crowned and polished. They look flat and a bit in the pic.

beecee

Reaction score
Docfishr, can you repeat the second part of the question?

regardless, perhaps if I stop playing it I will let him look at it.:pig:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Docfishr, can you repeat the second part of the question?

regardless, perhaps if I stop playing it I will let him look at it.:pig:
Please excuse the butt-inski, but he's repeating what I thought, and realize I never posted:
Frets don't look in optimum condition.
He's even probably more correct than I was: I thought they'd been "dressed", meaning milled and crowned and polished
But Doc thinks they've only been milled ("ground flat" to remove notches.)and now I think he's right.
"Crowned and polished" means adding a curve back to the top of the frets and polishing 'em for smoothness.
The missing word after "a bit" could be "rough".
I also notice now that some of 'em look like they've got a sharp edge like a saddle on one side, and they're not all even on the same side.
I think now that's why he says they look milled but not crowned.
those edges should have at the very least a slight bevel.
Also, Guild did use a fairly "beefy" gauge of fret wire at one time and Hans has confirmed its use on an F50 seen here a while ago (I think it was a mid '70's but that's not too important here)
What I'm really leading up to is that if those beefy frets were "flattened" a little bit they wound up feeling a lot like electrics and being a little easier to bend, so I remember it being kind of popular when I was kid.
So I'd bet those are original frets and have been "worked on" for whatever reason, but look like they could benefit from a bit more finishing.
Whenever you can pull yourself away from it.
:friendly_wink:

beecee

Reaction score
What I'm really leading up to is that if those beefy frets were "flattened" a little bit they wound up feeling a lot like electrics and being a little easier to bend, so I remember it being kind of popular when I was kid.

Well, I kind of like that in an acoustic, especially with my aching hands, not that I can really bend anything anymore.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Well, I kind of like that in an acoustic, especially with my aching hands, not that I can really bend anything anymore.
Right, but if those "edges" on the "Crowns" aren't rounded off a tiny bit you might experience difficulty executing smooth bends or at least premature notching of strings (from the sharp fret edges) on those frets.
Assuming the pics are showing what I think Grassdog (and I) are trying to advise about.

beecee

Reaction score
ok, Now I understand.

Thanks!!!

Still new to the "new to me" old guitars.

Most of my original stable (including 2 other Guilds), were new to me from 30-40 + years ago.

Sold them off recently save for the Songbird and the killer Madeira, before I got crazy and spent more on guitars than my first 3 cars.

I'll get some better pictures up soon.

Otherwise a pretty nice guitar