Morels in Michigan!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
These were in my woods today. Happy, happy, happy. The question is, pan fried in butter or baked on pizza?

PdQi98z.jpg

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Well, those aren't the FUN kind ;)
But I would always go with pizza... in fact I just did so myself, sans-morels though

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I put a bunch in a frying pan with fresh scallions from my herb garden. Whoops, ate 'em before I took a photo!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pizza?

Lightly floured and fried with a sprinkle of salt. Nuff said!

My dad could sure could find morels. I remember grocery sacks full in the good years. I probably stepped on more than I found.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
These were in my woods today. Happy, happy, happy. The question is, pan fried in butter or baked on pizza?

PdQi98z.jpg

Just think of all those poor Smurfs who no longer have homes. Oh the Travesty, LOL!:mushroom:

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, those aren't the FUN kind ;)
But I would always go with pizza... in fact I just did so myself, sans-morels though
Hey MG..... When we moved, we were cleaning out ..... well, EVERYTHING and when the freezer got cleaned out I said, "What the F**K is THIS??" Don told me it was what was leftover from an amazing batch of "fun" mushrooms from 1998 or so...... I had no idea how long those things last vacuum sealed and frozen but I wasn't willing to find out. Our crazy bartender friend KYLE, however, had no such qualms. They don't work after 20-something years, in case you're wondering. Sad cuz they were really good ones BITD.

So if you have some hanging around.... do 'em now and enjoy. They don't last for years and years.... aparently. Whoops!! :smiley_simmons:

The other types are good cooked, sauteed, or steamed or however you wanna cook them. Those look kinda small and fragile. I'd sautee them. But I'm no cook......

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had no idea how long those things last vacuum sealed and frozen but I wasn't willing to find out. Our crazy bartender friend KYLE, however, had no such qualms. They don't work after 20-something years, in case you're wondering. Sad cuz they were really good ones BITD.

Something went amiss with prep or storage.
Should be "cracker dry", any residual moisture will degrade active ingredients pretty quickly.
Samples found with mummified remains have test positive after several hundred years.
If your friend cooked 'em that'd destroy a.i. too.
NBD.
It's not like they're CITES listed or anything...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They look rather loose...
But, I’ve heard they’re like that in Michigan.:distracted:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Sautéed fresh morels are super yummy! One of my dad's childhood friends owned some woodland, and when I was young we went morel hunting there every spring. No magic effects that I can remember…though maybe not remembering is part of the deal. :)

-Dave-

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Huh. My folks fried them all the time. Like I said, lightly floured and fried, then some salt. But then again, they were just reprehensible country jakes.

Never got raided by the Morel Police.