NUCGD F55E burst ,Well Al the all seeing eye has ....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ya know the burst is not that even and it’s kind of ugly and since that technically was not discribed I should have the right to return it .
Just saying . 

It must have been the one listed on Reverb that had the uneven burst where the dark color almost touched the soundhole on the bass side of it. Did you get it yet or is that just something you noticed in the photos after you purchased it? It is definitely not out of the ordinary as we have seen several examples of burst finishes out of Oxnard going all the way back to the first satin finished M20's/D20's being off centered on not only the top but really off centered on the back as well by as much as 2 inches. At least you don't have to worry about the back on the F55 as the burst finish is only on the top of the guitar. So did you get it yet or are you still waiting on it to show up?

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Seriously guys, are we back to this again?

TX: Since I actually own an Oxnard, I can say my F55 burst looks perfect to me, no issues whatsoever. I will say this: having shopped around and seen quite a few F50 bursts, none of them were exactly the same, the burst on some were uneven or quite different from one another in hue, gradient width, shape, etc. across different eras and within the same era. I’m sure you can find ugly ducklings in every era if you look for it...

Ray: if you had doubts about this particular F55, why buy it in the first place?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It must have been the one listed on Reverb that had the uneven burst where the dark color almost touched the soundhole on the bass side of it. Did you get it yet or is that just something you noticed in the photos after you purchased it? It is definitely not out of the ordinary as we have seen several examples of burst finishes out of Oxnard going all the way back to the first satin finished M20's/D20's being off centered on not only the top but really off centered on the back as well by as much as 2 inches. At least you don't have to worry about the back on the F55 as the burst finish is only on the top of the guitar. So did you get it yet or are you still waiting on it to show up?

TX

Gee weez Tx you have way to much time on your hands lmao
Still waiting .

Seriously guys, are we back to this again?

TX: Since I actually own an Oxnard, I can say my F55 burst looks perfect to me, no issues whatsoever. I will say this: having shopped around and seen quite a few F50 bursts, none of them were exactly the same, the burst on some were uneven or quite different from one another in hue, gradient width, shape, etc. across different eras and within the same era. I’m sure you can find ugly ducklings in every era if you look for it...

Ray: if you had doubts about this particular F55, why buy it in the first place?

Clyde my possible new friend lol please understand me and Tx have a illness called onepickyass syndrome.

Some might say it’s a gift others say it’s a curse ! We have the ability to see hairline cracks from a thousand paces out of plumb walls from 2,000 paces and color patterns from a mile .

See your guitar is a tad better the black spray line around the edge only reaches in about 2 1/2 inches in around the upper bout but it gets a little wider around the lower bout . It’s not bad but if you look at the application just off the neck it’s a little misshapen not uniform.

See that’s our curse we see stuff like that .
The burst on the one I’m getting has a lot thicker boarders where the black touches the Rosetta of the sound hole . Less Sun more Space , maybe I could some stars and planets air brushed in ? Lol

Ok so now you have to take into it account my crazy sarcastic sense of humor. Lol

The burst does not really bother me that much as far as the pics go now I do hope they have a transition color ? Or is just yellow to black if so that’s cheap 😠 but again if this sounds good plays good then I’m not gunna complain especially at the price . 😁

3 more weeks and I’ll know ! 😜

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Still waiting .

Clyde my possible new friend lol please understand me and Tx have a illness called onepickyass syndrome.

Some might say it’s a gift others say it’s a curse ! We have the ability to see hairline cracks from a thousand paces out of plumb walls from 2,000 paces and color patterns from a mile .

See your guitar is a tad better the black spray line around the edge only reaches in about 2 1/2 inches in around the upper bout but it gets a little wider around the lower bout . It’s not bad but if you look at the application just off the neck it’s a little misshapen not uniform.

See that’s our curse we see stuff like that .
The burst on the one I’m getting has a lot thicker boarders where the black touches the Rosetta of the sound hole . Less Sun more Space , maybe I could some stars and planets air brushed in ? Lol

Ok so now you have to take into it account my crazy sarcastic sense of humor. Lol

The burst does not really bother me that much as far as the pics go now I do hope they have a transition color ? Or is just yellow to black if so that’s cheap �� but again if this sounds good plays good then I’m not gunna complain especially at the price . ��

3 more weeks and I’ll know ! ��

They also had a natural finish F55. Why not go for that if the burst on this one is not to your liking?

Onepickyass syndrome: Gotta put that in my guitar dictionary :emmersed:

Regarding bursts in general: I wasn’t aware there was a standard spec for bursts. I am definitely not an expert, you and TX probably know a lot more than I do, however… From what I’ve seen, Guild bursts can vary a lot from guitar to guitar and from era to era. I don’t think it’s fair to single out Oxnard on this. Has Oxnard produced some less than stellar bursts? Probably… just like every Guild era before it has probably produced its share of less than perfect guitars. Case in point: You had the opportunity to purchase a NH F50R, but you didn’t buy it, in part because of a bad inlay job on the neck. Funny, I didn’t see anybody here on this forum call out New Hartford on shoddy inlay work… had it been an Oxnard, some of you would have been all over that

Here’s a F50 burst from New Hartford. Like I said, I’m no expert, but to my eye, this burst looks uneven, thicker on the right side and wider on the lower bout. But in my opinion, this is what gives it its charm. You might like it or you may not. I think part of it comes down to personal preference.

2_Body_Straight_Front_NA_ae3519f8885eae09769c41323afc8d59.jpg

Here's the NH F50R on Reverb you were considering: To me, the burst width and gradient is much narrower than the burst on the previous New Hartford... same era, different bursts...

jn7dv0mwkd3hlnwlraci.jpg

I also have an SJ200 burst, and the burst pattern around the sound hole towards the neck is much wider than on the lower bout, in fact it’s just “space”, and the gradient width is much wider in general than any Guild I’ve ever seen. To me, the burst on my SJ200 is simply spectacular. Like I said, in my opinion, whatever floats your boat :)

IMG_3297_2.jpg

In closing, I find it sad that some of you find a way to criticize even before Ray has even actually received his guitar or we've even seen a picture of it. I mean come on guys, at least try to seem like you’re giving it a fair shot. You’ll have all the time in the world after he gets it to say how s***** the burst looks or how crappy it sounds. Cause you know, an Oxnard ain’t no Guild…

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Still waiting .

First off Ray let me say I am not knocking your new Guild and that was not my intentions at all. I was just asking if that was the one based on our shared affliction of "one pickyass syndrome", LOL. I am really pulling for you on this one and hope it is everything you want it to be because I know how long you have waited for a Burst Rosewood Guild Jumbo. That and like I mentioned earlier there is something extremely special to me about being the first and only owner of a Guitar. It is an experience like no other.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They also had a natural finish F55. Why not go for that if the burst on this one is not to your liking?

Onepickyass syndrome: Gotta put that in my guitar dictionary :emmersed:

Regarding bursts in general: I wasn’t aware there was a standard spec for bursts. I am definitely not an expert, you and TX probably know a lot more than I do, however… From what I’ve seen, Guild bursts can vary a lot from guitar to guitar and from era to era. I don’t think it’s fair to single out Oxnard on this. Has Oxnard produced some less than stellar bursts? Probably… just like every Guild era before it has probably produced its share of less than perfect guitars. Case in point: You had the opportunity to purchase a NH F50R, but you didn’t buy it, in part because of a bad inlay job on the neck. Funny, I didn’t see anybody here on this forum call out New Hartford on shoddy inlay work… had it been an Oxnard, some of you would have been all over that

Here’s a F50 burst from New Hartford. Like I said, I’m no expert, but to my eye, this burst looks uneven, thicker on the right side and wider on the lower bout. But in my opinion, this is what gives it its charm. You might like it or you may not. I think part of it comes down to personal preference.

2_Body_Straight_Front_NA_ae3519f8885eae09769c41323afc8d59.jpg

Here's the NH F50R on Reverb you were considering: To me, the burst width and gradient is much narrower than the burst on the previous New Hartford... same era, different bursts...

jn7dv0mwkd3hlnwlraci.jpg

I also have an SJ200 burst, and the burst pattern around the sound hole towards the neck is much wider than on the lower bout, in fact it’s just “space”, and the gradient width is much wider in general than any Guild I’ve ever seen. To me, the burst on my SJ200 is simply spectacular. Like I said, in my opinion, whatever floats your boat :)

IMG_3297_2.jpg

In closing, I find it sad that some of you find a way to criticize even before Ray has even actually received his guitar or we've even seen a picture of it. I mean come on guys, at least try to seem like you’re giving it a fair shot. You’ll have all the time in the world after he gets it to say how s***** the burst looks or how crappy it sounds. Cause you know, an Oxnard ain’t no Guild…

Loving the Bold Type Clyde, Your making me laugh this morning. Have a good one man!:biggrin-new:

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray,

Looking forward to seeing the new guitar!

Already posted this elsewhere, but man I love me some Guild bursts in all their
glorious and infinite - and "by hand" - variety! Just wish I had more room
on the wall to get 'em all in one photo :proud:

aTTxud3.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Clyde:) yeah I’m assuming that the difference in spray pattern is due to a different employee but the spray pattern itself is uniform .

The Gib looks nice and the first NH one looks more attractive to me because of transition they have that lighter ( over spray ) look that blends in the yellow to black .

The one I’m getting looks less over spay and a bit more concentrated.

But I’m not really put off by it . I have to see it when it gets here .

Why I got over the plain Jane is because I want a dang burst ! Lol

Tx hugs buddy ;) I never took your comment as any type of bashing ya all to sensitive around here lol

As my take and words always keep in mind Sarcastic Humor!!!!

If I’m ever ticked off everyone will clearly know and it could very well be my last day here ( Blocked) hahaha :)

Hugs to everyone . 😁

ClydeTower

Reaction score
If I’m ever ticked off everyone will clearly know and it could very well be my last day here ( Blocked) hahaha :)

Yeah, maybe that's my cue...

Good luck with the guitar brotha, hope it turns out well for ya!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe that's my cue...

Good luck with the guitar brotha, hope it turns out well for ya!

You folks will never see that side of me :)
I called up yesterday to see if they shipped they should have and they were busy and didn’t get time to upload the tracking info. I still don’t see it lol

I have to check the Verb but I did not get a notice .

I hope it doesn’t come when I’m working , boooooo ! Haha

Ok it shipped I’ll have it by end of day Wednesday .

I feel tingly all over :)

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok it shipped I’ll have it by end of day Wednesday .

I feel tingly all over :)

All you got to do now is hold on for 24 more hours give or take. The question now is will you be doing like the rest of us on a NGD and be sitting by the window listening for a delivery truck tomorrow? LOL. It was always a contest with my previous two Great Danes to see who heard the truck first! My new Dane puppies aren't quite there yet, They just think bully sticks and play toys magically appear behind the front door when Daddy wants them to.:biggrin-new: I'm excited for you man and look forward to your impressions when it arrives!

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All you got to do now is hold on for 24 more hours give or take. The question now is will you be doing like the rest of us on a NGD and be sitting by the window listening for a delivery truck tomorrow? LOL. It was always a contest with my previous two Great Danes to see who heard the truck first! My new Dane puppies aren't quite there yet, They just think bully sticks and play toys magically appear behind the front door when Daddy wants them to.:biggrin-new: I'm excited for you man and look forward to your impressions when it arrives!

TX

I’ll let you know all right you know me , pull no punches kind of guy lmao .

It’s suppose to rain and teachers go on strike so my boy will home maybe me as well Hmmmmm ... what time will come by this time ?

Ironically every time I took a day off ups would come by after my work hours .

So then I go to work and come home to a “ so terribley sorry we missed you we’ll try again when your at work . “

Hahaha 😆

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well since my boy had a day off from school and it’s raining I’m home to .

Per Tx’s advice I’m watching the window for that brown truck and shaking my fist all others that drive by , well no I’m not nobody drives by here much lol

1 1/2 hours into the delivery window 2 1/2 to go .
Thankfully BattleBots is on 😎

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What the heck !!!! Oh what a cruel world !!!

I can’t see inside the freaking case is locked !!!

For real !? Lol

Yaaaaaaay for the paper clip theives would never think of that !!!

Ok since it’s not a New up coming gear day I’ll start a NGD thread , with the moderators permission of coarse :)

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
New UpComing Guitar Day?

I thought NUCGD was the acronym for New/Used Canadian Guitar Day.

Good luck, Ray . . . I hope this one passes QA/QC inspection.