Vintage CE100D Capri Headstock Inlay Shrinkage

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I was wondering if any of you would have a suitable home solution to a rising inlay on a vintage Guild Capri 100D. The guitar is in great condition and plays beautifully other than this issue and, given that the guitar was very expensive to buy in the first place, I don't feel like shelling out hundreds more for a luthier repair. I've inserted a picture of the issue in the hope that one of you might have had success of fixing this issue 'on the cheap' so to speak. Any advice would be most appreciated.

all

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Your picture did not show up. I think you tried to link to https://lamonp.imgur.com/all/ but when I go there in a browser i am directed to https://lamonp.imgur.com/ and there is a "nothing to see" message.

Headstock veneer shrinkage is a known problem with some 60's vintage Guilds. There is no good fix that I can recall. If your 'rising inlay' is due to this then we can tell you what others have reported trying. But we should wait for pictures ;-)

Reaction score
ehfAjbX

Really sorry guys. New to imgur. I hope this uploads ok for you. Again, many thanks for the replies and any advice or experience other owners might have with this issue.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someday we will figure out imgur.

HaRbmNm.jpg

I think one trick is that I kept messing with the image URL (copy link, etc.) until I got something that ended with jpg and that is what I used above.

Now to the problem at hand...

Sadly, to me, that looks like the classic headstock veener shrinkage.

I have seen some repairs that essentially stripped off the overlay, refinished the face and reset the inlays. I have seen some that used white glue or something similar to try and hold down the edge to the wood and keep things from curling. I saw one repair that made it look like there was binding around the headstock. If I cared more about the guitar than the cost I would definitely consult Tom Jacobs (fixit on LTG, http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/) for an opinion. Tom used to work for Guild and the worst thing I have ever heard anyone say about his work was "Excellent!!!!".

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unfortunately, Guilderama, I agree with frono. Since these overlays are made of plastic they're prone to heat shrinkage. And the only way to truly flatten them back into shape is, well, heat. This won't help with shrinkage, though. My CE-100D overlay had slight warping only and lifting on the edges, but I was able to clamp it down and reglue. This won't work for shrinkage, though.

The only thing I can think of for optimal results is to rescue the inlays and make a new overlay from a thin ebony veneer, micarta, or some other thin composite fiberboard material. This is, of course, work intensive and expensive. I'm sure a luthier will have a craftier solution.

Reaction score
Thanks so much frono and jp for your advice. You have confirmed my fears that this would be an expensive fix if I were to go down that route and a local luthier agrees with your views. Luckily, it's a new purchase so I will be sending it back to the store for a refund - it wasn't mentioned in their description which I was peeved about. I'm very grateful for the advice and feedback. The search begins for a new Guild!!!!

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a suggestion that most won't like but it is reversable and might look good. I haven't tried it yet but will one of these days.

The idea is to go to an auto parts store and buy a roll of pin-stripe material. They come in a variety of styles and widths. Then carefully apply it around the edge of the headstock. It can be applied on top, on the side or a wide piece folded over to cover top edge and side edge.
M

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater so to speak, maybe you can negotiate a partial refund with the seller and get it repaired. You'll save the trouble of return shipping and still have a nice guitar. If you are located in the NJ area, check with Curt Wilson at Old School Guitars: http://oldschoolguitar.net/

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since these overlays are made of plastic they're prone to heat shrinkage.
Actually they are made of celluloid. Celluloid is prone to significant changes with age. It can be flattened using heat, but you need the right temperature in order to not burn it. As it shrunk over time it will never have the 100% correct size afterwards. Celluloid can be glued using cyanoacrylates and traditional animal glues.

The one in the ebay link looks like the later fiber/laminated paper version.

Ralf

geoguy

Reaction score
Actually, Ralf, the seller says it is "plastic", and that it has cupped a bit at the edges due to the passage of time.

Maybe it could be considered to be a pre-shrunk Westerly headstock overlay!