Inlay question and the another .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a replacement inlay for a NH F50 ?
Would the New F55’s inlay be the same size as the NH ?

I know interesting/ curious question but I’m thinking hard on buying one that either the block inlay is undersized or the router cut on the finger board is to large as the inlay is misaligned.

As to Guilds NH runs Im not sure when production hit the streets . This guitar was built/ finished April of 09 on the 9th being the third guitar of the day.

On a personal side along with my limited knowledge I assumed NH put out defect free guitars . Now I’m not sure how I the came to that conclusion most likely all the up talk.

But I have seen a few that make me wonder how they got by QC .

Last question , when did Ren join Guild and actually take the reins ? I once again assume QC improved when that happened but I need more info .

What ? I can’t help it you folks looked board . 😁

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a replacement inlay for a NH F50 ?
Would the New F55’s inlay be the same size as the NH ?

I know interesting/ curious question but I’m thinking hard on buying one that either the block inlay is undersized or the router cut on the finger board is to large as the inlay is misaligned.

As to Guilds NH runs Im not sure when production hit the streets . This guitar was built/ finished April of 09 on the 9th being the third guitar of the day.

On a personal side along with my limited knowledge I assumed NH put out defect free guitars . Now I’m not sure how I the came to that conclusion most likely all the up talk.

Last question , when did Ren join Guild and actually take the reins ? I once again assume QC improved when that happened but I need more info .

What ? I can’t help it you folks looked board . ��

Is this the F50 you saw on Reverb that's in Montreal?
Didn't Ren join Guild sometime in 2011-12? Al would know...

I'd measure the inlays on my F55 but its out to the luthier for a set-up. As soon as its back, I'll measure that for ya...
Do you think you could get Cordoba to sell you inlays?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

I think you need to revisit your assumption. Remember that New Hartford was a working guitar factory long before Ren showed up making Ovations, Hamers and Guilds.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any well stocked luthier should be able to make you a replacement inlay without too much trouble, especially a block type.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, kinda curious how that came to be. Is it just one of the fretboard inlays or all of them?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
A bit of veer but this 3 part interview with Ren is worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Kf6jyBuak

Bu sure to listen to minute 9.57 for a statement that I was quite surprised to hear.

This post would probably be more relevant in this thread: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196260-What-did-Ren-do-at-Guild
But I did note the passage you mentioned:
Ren: "Guilds are basically copies of Gibsons. Guild started in 53 and they patterned their guitars first off Epiphone and then after Gibson..."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know interesting/ curious question but I’m thinking hard on buying one that either the block inlay is undersized or the router cut on the finger board is to large as the inlay is misaligned....
Just for the sake of comparison, for all of Westerly's vaunted quality reputation, I've got a very slightly misaligned inlay in the neck of my F65ce. So slight I didn't notice it until a couple of months ago.
It might be a product of what I called "worker indifference" at end of Westerly when they already knew they were gonna be shut down, because it's the second highest serial number F65ce on record, finished in late '01.
But that's speculation on my part.
As to Guilds NH runs Im not sure when production hit the streets . This guitar was built/ finished April of 09 on the 9th being the third guitar of the day
That was first year of production and very early for them.
I think it was the second model produced because they started from "the top down" with D55's.

Be aware that when NH closed they did let some "B" stock out during a liquidation sale.

Anybody could buy 'em and we know some dealers did.
But they were excepted from warranty from Cordoba, who did assume warranty for New Hartford "A" stock.
We've had reports that frequently "B" stock is indistinguishable from "A" stock except for possible cosmetic blems.
Your eagle eye might have picked up on something that made it a "B" stock, although I'd be kind of surprised if it had been around since '09.
We've seen NH "B" stock ID'd with a very small red "B" on the label but I don't know if that was done with the liquidated stuff.
I do recall that there was a caveat mentioned here that Cordoba did get their s/ns.
Can you get pics of the label or get the s/n, possibly you could check with Cordoba.
Warranty's irrelevant if it's already being sold as "used" but it might answer the QC question.

Appreciate the vote of confidence but NH isn't actually one of my strong suits.
The first guy who comes to mind for overall NH expertise is TXbumper, and I believe he answered that in the same "What did Ren do at Guild" thread you've already linked.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This post would probably be more relevant in this thread: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196260-What-did-Ren-do-at-Guild
But I did note the passage you mentioned:
Ren: "Guilds are basically copies of Gibsons. Guild started in 53 and they patterned their guitars first off Epiphone and then after Gibson..."
That's a bit of a condensation to say "they patterned their guitars first off Epiphone...".
In fact we know that Guild was founded with several ex-Epiphone employees who didn't want to move to New Jersey when Epiphone left New York.
Al Dronge's partner George Mann was an ex-Epiphone executive himself.
As for patterning guitars after Gibsons, I kinda came to that realization myself when you recently prompted me to try out a J185:
When I looked up its history I saw the F40 inspiration, EXCEPT:
It looks to me like Guild was very innovative in adapting the arched back design to a maple jumbo body flat-top.
Not being a big Gibson fanboy I don't know if Gibson was actually there first.
That also ignores possible electric influences, another area I'm kinda weak in even though in fact it was Guild's original oeuvre, something often forgotten after the massive overshadowing of the electrics by the acoustics in the '60's.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I'd measure the inlays on my F55 but its out to the luthier for a set-up. As soon as its back, I'll measure that for ya...
Do you think you could get Cordoba to sell you inlays?
Yes that is the guitar .
Hold off on the measuring until or if needed , thank you :)
I think you need to revisit your assumption. Remember that New Hartford was a working guitar factory long before Ren showed up making Ovations, Hamers and Guilds.
Well Fro I’m scratching my head you referring to the letting bad ones out of the factory?

I returned 3 F30’s NH each had finger board issues , well in all honesty 2 can’t remember what was wrong with the 3rd one otherwise they were like new.

I’ve also seen bad inlays in fact that might be what was up with that 3rd guitar but I digress .

Any well stocked luthier should be able to make you a replacement inlay without too much trouble, especially a block type.

Good idea my local luthier is good and he’s back up months and very expensive but that’s a good idea as I did not consider that .

Yeah, kinda curious how that came to be. Is it just one of the fretboard inlays or all of them?

Just the one so he says and the only that said Hey ! Here I am !! lol

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had take a shot of the neck heal that white cap and likes like some discoloration Tx thought bubbling nitro I believe but it just runs the that bottom joint line .

What I did notice which could be a result of the angle of that same photo is that the lines of the upper bout on the back where it comes around and flattens out heading towards the neck , that flat line does not line up with the one on the other side . So me being me I just keep looking at it haha .

It also has finish checks so 3 issues in all and the whole the gentleman has been very nice considers it excellent condition . 😐.......

ClydeTower

Reaction score
That's a bit of a condensation to say "they patterned their guitars first off Epiphone...".
Ren's words, not mine, but agreed :)

As for patterning guitars after Gibsons, I kinda came to that realization myself when you recently prompted me to try out a J185:
When I looked up its history I saw the F40 inspiration

Still looking forward to that write up btw :emmersed:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ren's words, not mine, but agreed :)

Still looking forward to that write up btw :emmersed:

Was kinda hopin' you'd clue me in if Gib made maple archbacks before Guild did.
The J185's I see on the net are flatbacks.
Not that that's a deal-killer to me, since my appreciation for the virtues of my D40 in comparison to the D25 has only increased over the years.
And my F65ce's a maple archback.
But what I really need some is rosewood to round out the menu.........

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But what I really need some is rosewood to round out the menu.........
Get you a DV52.
Best rosewood bang for your buck.
By a mile.
Guaranteed.
Or your money back.
Buy with confidence.
Don't look back.
Stop procrastinating.
Did you buy it yet?!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Get you a DV52.
Best rosewood bang for your buck.
By a mile.
Guaranteed.
Or your money back.
Buy with confidence.
Don't look back.
Stop procrastinating.
Did you buy it yet?!!!
I'm sure you're right but I want an F40-sized body.
Which boils down to an F47R ...with a short scale...new...and a Guild logo on the headstock.
And vetted for build quality by RayK.
You see, by dreaming about something they never officially made I got something to hold Oxnard's feet to the fire with and can successfully refute all other suggestions, thus proudly preserving my famed Scots heritage reputation for never spending a buck you don't have. :eek:
You must remember this represents an upgrade from the F30R archback that was my pipe dream for several years.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right but I want an F40-sized body.
Which boils down to an F47R ...with a short scale...new...and a Guild logo on the headstock.
And vetted for build quality by RayK.
You see, by dreaming about something they never officially made I got something to hold Oxnard's feet to the fire with and can successfully refute all other suggestions, thus proudly preserving my famed Scots heritage reputation for never spending a buck you don't have. :eek:
You must remember this represents an upgrade from the F30R archback that was my pipe dream for several years.

Here's a Rosewood J185 :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Gib...961308?hash=item3f9a144cdc:g:ewIAAOSwVHdaqbf0

But I doubt you'd go for a pre-owned guitar sight unseen... Gibson no less!

Cordoba might revive the Guild custom shop down the road... patience is a virtue!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Going by Clyde’s F55 post Hmmmm , I think I want one . After seeing the prices of used F50R’s I’m trying to justify buying used but I can’t . I have my buying rules regardless of book values though in honesty I don’t have a book lol

So I have to think , do I want a scratched up guitar with possibly defects ? Well maybe if the price is right but for some reason I always consider the cost of fixing it up.
Since these guitars at the moment are running 2,000 up to 3,000 in various states of condition, add a repair cost to that and I find 3,500 for a brand new guitar is not that far fetched . a max difference of 1,500 or 1800 if need a pickup.

Yes that’s a lot to many including me , yes you can buy a whole other guitar with that . I just don’t see a reasonable price on used to justify the buying one . That’s just my take on it .

I well understand the mojo buying guitar folks or those who always wanted a certain year and model for untold years we’d all pay for the guitar of our dreams .

So unless a NH F50r in very good condition meaning very good and not the “broken neck with a crack in the back “ very good , becomes
Available for 1800 I’m buying new ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So unless a NH F50r in very good condition meaning very good and not the “broken neck with a crack in the back “ very good , becomes
Available for 1800 I’m buying new ;)

In less than 50 days?
I got a reputation to proteck here.