ren ferguson leaving guild in oxnard?

muscmp

Reaction score
forum members on the acoustic guitar forum indicate that ren is leaving guild. i did a search here and couldn't find anything but figured you would know about it.

thanks,
mikeB

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Yes, he left Guild some time ago, and is now working with a guitar firm in China called Shadow Guitars.
Rich

Last edited:

muscmp

Reaction score
Yes, he left Guild some time ago, and is now working with a guitar firm in China called Shadow Guitars.
Rich

wow, doesn't seem like there was much public knowledge about this. did he and cordoba/guild not get along? seemed like it would have been a great match for a long time. who is running guild now?
a lot of people on the AGF complaining about not being able to find guilds.
thanks,

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
wow, doesn't seem like there was much public knowledge about this. did he and cordoba/guild not get along?
My recollection is that he never really wanted to live in CA in the first place and Cordoba had to offer him some significant incentives like designing the actual plant, for one thing.
Those guys over on AGF just ain't readin' the right newspapers.
We first heard of it back in September of 2016:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...eaving-Guild/page7&highlight=ferguson+leaving
I didn't re-read that whole thing just now so apologies if my memory wasn't accurate.
And here's the one about Shadow, from almost a year ago already:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...uson-s-new-job-in-China/page2&highlight=CHINA

seemed like it would have been a great match for a long time. who is running guild now?
Oh, I don't remember, but I think they've posted it on Facebook.
thanks,
OK, no personal snark intended but I can't help but say: "I bet we've been complaining a LOT longer than anybody over there".
Except for our guys with dual citizenships...:friendly_wink:
BTW< they DO know about the Gibson bankruptcy filing over there, right?
:glee:

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
wow, doesn't seem like there was much public knowledge about this. did he and cordoba/guild not get along? seemed like it would have been a great match for a long time. who is running guild now?
thanks,

Drew Haines is now the head luthier at Guild. He was the finish manager at New Hartford and worked under Ren.
There’s an interesting article about Drew here: http://www.acousticmagazine.com/features/workshop-special-cordoba-vs-guild/

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
thanks,

*snicker*

People from AGF who want information about Guilds come to LTG.

From various sources, including meeting him in New Hartford, my personal belief is that Ren's motivation is not just making guitars, but making the factories that build good guitars, Because that's what he wants to do now I am sure that he went to Oxnard to do a job and left when it was done. The fact that he went from Guild to another production line start up consulting job makes me believe I am right :)

A lot of people here complain about not being able to find Guilds as well. I would presume that the AGF complaint is about made in Oxnard Guilds since the Westerly series seems to be readily available. The complainers would do well to remember that Oxnard has not actually been building guitars for that long. They are being built but it takes time to make them and get them into the stores.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, and I think even that was only a consulting deal.
Seem to recall Ralf (SFIV1967) clarifying that.
No, the consulting/advising deal is for "German Vintage Guitar" since early 2017. For "Shadow Guitars" (Shadow is a German company as well) he is Head of Development and Manufacturing in their new factory in China since early 2017 as well.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No, the consulting/advising deal is for "German Vintage Guitar" since early 2017. For "Shadow Guitars" (Shadow is a German company as well) he is Head of Development and Manufacturing in their new factory in China since early 2017 as well.
Ralf
Yeah saw that in "the other Ren thread", but thanks!
Sure do miss you when you're gone.
:friendly_wink: