Easy remedy for stained or discolored binding

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hello all!

Thought I would share my solution for an unfortunate situation I was having with my NH D55 and NH F512. The white binding along the fret board (1st to 4th fret) had become discolored, like a pinkish hue, on both guitars. It seemed as though the stain from the neck was bleeding into the binding, caused by the heat and/or sweat from my left hand.

Don’t know if this problem is specific to New Hartford builds, but it did not look good. Pink binding is not my idea of “patina” and certainly affects resale value. I tried “cleaning” the binding with Virtuoso, Player’s kit polish, tried lightly rubbing the surface with 0000 steel wool, etc. Nothing worked cause the discoloration seemed to be behind the nitro finish.

So I did some research a came across a simple solution: The sun

On a beautiful, cool spring day (60F), I sat my D55 out in the sun for 10 hours. I made sure to wrap the body in a blanket, only to expose the neck. I admit I was a bit skeptical but thought I had nothing to lose…
Wouldn’t you know it… it worked! My binding is back to its beautiful pure WHITE self!

Don’t know if this will work on all discolored binding situations, but at least it’s an option. Anyhow, thought I would share in case others have the same issue.

Claude

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
What color is the case fur?

Green.

The discoloration was limited to the stretch between the 1st and 4th frets on both sides of the fret board, on both New Hartfords. Its the area where my left hand spends the most time. Curious to see if my Oxnard F55 will develop the same issue over time...

At least there's an easy solution :)

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool have to remember that and they say holes in the ozone layer are bad but how else could we get solar radiation to rewhitetify our bindings.
I like pink but not if it clashes ! 😁

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Cool. Wonderful that you were able to solve it in a relatively easy way. Now you must repair your reputation among your neighbors who must think that you've lost your mind...you out wrapping inanimate objects in blankets and worshipping them for 10 hours per day :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The simplest solution is often the best one as well.

F312

Reaction score
I do have a guitar with the same thing going on, but forgot which one at this time, but I think it's my Guild Tacoma F47R.

Ralph

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Cool. Wonderful that you were able to solve it in a relatively easy way. Now you must repair your reputation among your neighbors who must think that you've lost your mind...you out wrapping inanimate objects in blankets and worshipping them for 10 hours per day :)

IMG_3612a.jpg

Yep, either my neighbors think its some kind of funky scarecrow or that I'm wacko! Wait till I bring out the F512... then they'll think I've totally lost it! :tongue-new:

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Its a good idea never to put it out in he front yard. The junk pickers might take it first and ask later (or never ask).

beecee

Reaction score
hmmm Maybe I should face the sun and smile...get rid of those pesky wine and coffee stains on my teeth :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hmmm Maybe I should face the sun and smile...get rid of those pesky wine and coffee stains on my teeth :)
I'd stick with Miracle White gel. It works and you don't get sun damage on your face. Plus I can't smile that big outside with the sun in my eyes. Yeah, Miracle White and some trays will help. I wonder if it's the ultra-violet rays that do the color change? You could do it with a bulb then......

Al, don't do that to me. It's just mean. Like a built in tank top you don't have to wear....... HELL yeah!! :smiley_simmons:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I wonder if it's the ultra-violet rays that do the color change? You could do it with a bulb then......

Yes I'm pretty sure it has something to do with UV light so a UV bulb might also work. A word of caution: From what I've read, UV light can also "yellow" abs plastic. In my case, the exposure time was 10 hours. I was ready to go 16 hours, but not more.
Initially, I found some info about this remedy on a Gibson thread. It has since dawned on me that Gibson binding color is "cream" not white. So yellowing would not be such an issue for them.

Anyhow, it worked for me. But for anyone else, I would do so cautiously and for a limited time span, checking regularly for color changes.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm pretty sure it has something to do with UV light so a UV bulb might also work.
Right, that was my first suspicion and I'm absolutely positive it's the UV.

A word of caution: From what I've read, UV light can also "yellow" abs plastic. In my case, the exposure time was 10 hours. I was ready to go 16 hours, but not more.
Initially, I found some info about this remedy on a Gibson thread. It has since dawned on me that Gibson binding color is "cream" not white. So yellowing would not be such an issue for them.
I think that applies to nitrate based plastic, just like NCL itself yellows in sunlight.
Didn't think ABS yellowed under UV but you got my curiosity up and sure enough it does, but that's not the only cause, in fact apparently it will eventually yellow even without the UV exposure.
From here:
"Your initial question was "What makes ABS plastic turn yellow." I should point out that the first few words of the second link read "Manufacturers add bromine to ABS plastic to act as flame retardant. Over time, those chemicals react to the plastic's basic polymers and turn yellow." Ergo, there is probably more to the yellowing of ABS plastic in particular than just photodegradation. "

Anyhow, it worked for me. But for anyone else, I would do so cautiously and for a limited time span, checking regularly for color changes.
To tell the truth my real question was how the heck come the finish dye only leaches into the binding in areas of heavy finger contact as you described?
Because I'm sure that's where the pinkish hue is coming from and why it so easily bleaches out with UV exposure.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
To tell the truth my real question was how the heck come the finish dye only leaches into the binding in areas of heavy finger contact as you described?
Because I'm sure that's where the pinkish hue is coming from and why it so easily bleaches out with UV exposure.

I don't know the answer that. What I can say is that its only happened on my 2 New Hartfords. Nothing on my F55, or the Gibson, or the Taylors, except the Taylors have maple bindings.
It's either caused by heat or sweat, or both.

F312 said he had the same issue with his Tacoma F47R. Maybe we both have battery acid for sweat...

Does nitro "breath" or is it impervious? If its the latter, that should rule out sweat and leave us with heat friction as the cause.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Does nitro "breath" or is it impervious? If its the latter, that should rule out sweat and leave us with heat friction as the cause.
Nitro continuously outgasses it's original solvents as it ages.
It's the primary reason for its reputation of improving with age, it continuously gets thinner and more brittle, supposedly allowing for better top movement and resonance. (Which theory I subscribe to)
So there must be some kind of porosity factor to allow the gasses to continue to vent even as the surface hardens.
Is this the one that you mentioned your surprise that the finish is still tacky?
I'm guessing perhaps yes your sweat may be soaking in a bit, and as it dries out it draws finish die into the finish over the binding by capillary action on a microscopic level?
That could apply even if the finish wasn't still tacky, but it also occurs to me that if it's still fairly "soft" that process could occur even more readily.
Final note:
The same UV that's whitening up the binding is also bleaching the finish color where it's exposed, to some degree.
But likely not as severely as the binding.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Put some guitar polish and some sunscreen in a blender and....