How High the Lava, Mama?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, once, the lava cover something and cools, you ain't goin' back there. There is no re-building.

Reaction score
Today I heard that someone had tried taking a selfie with a wild bear somewhere locally. That person will not be available to accept his Darwin award.

Some people seriously make you scratch your head.

The bear selfie incident was in India.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe the car had a bad tranny, and the owner had a great volcano insurance rider on their policy.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, never seen anything quite like that before. This might be a candidate for the Darwin awards. I mean, the craziness of being that close to the flow is one thing, but the car might've exploded once that lava got to the gas tank... Anyway, I guess the photographer lived to tell about it.

Today I heard that someone had tried taking a selfie with a wild bear somewhere locally. That person will not be available to accept his Darwin award.

Some people seriously make you scratch your head.

Cars don't really explode in the real world like they do in movies. Gasoline isn't explosive or even flammable - the vapor is. Extreme car fires, though, are absolutely a thing and that's what happened in the video.

Unless... you know...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Our dream is retiring to Hawaii, and the Puna area is the one that has the most affordable properties. Now we know why they don't build houses to last there. Will have to revise the retirement dreams.

Big Island is among my favorite hangouts, but I tend to stick to the kona (drier, west) side. Every time I even go near Hilo it starts raining torrents. The lava flowing from Kilauea into the ocean does make for a spectacular sight, though not so spectacular if it's coming down your street!

-Dave-

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My ex-step mom (yeah, that's an actual thing... she's about 4 years older than me) moved there with her new guy. They bought a house near all the action. This is the second time that she's been on Facebook asking for "thoughts and prayers". I said, "You live on a volcano that's active and you want..... what? What do you want? Sympathy from me? This is the HELL that goes with paradise..... good luck." I got a thumbs up but I know she thinks I'm cold. But It's like me moving to Las Vegas and then getting upset because it gets hot.

Nature's gonna do what nature is gonna do. Not a damn thing we can do about it...... :black_eyed:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I said, "You live on a volcano that's active and you want..... what?..."

TOM - you are absolutely right - very similar to folks who buy a cheap house under the airport landing zone and then start whining about the noice. And the house was cheap because of the runaway...

I have a warehouse at an old factory - we used to have a caretaker years ago - a very nice elderly man. Then new apartment buildings were built across the street... he told me one fine day :

"There was this woman from these new buildings - she came to me while I was sweeping the sidewalk - bitching : this old factory building is so ugly and there is all kind of noice. Bickering about it for a while - I listened until she finished and then innocently asked her - "Whaddya think - which building was here first?" She got even angrier and walked away."

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I do love watching the tires BLOW and take over the Mustang though!! Molten rock wins again!!!
Yeah.
As it turns out Michelin doesn't consider hot lava to be an "insurable" road hazard, although Bridgestone does.
Gotta remember to give Pascal a hard time about that.
:glee:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"There was this woman from these new buildings - she came to me while I was sweeping the sidewalk - bitching : this old factory building is so ugly and there is all kind of noice. Bickering about it for a while - I listened until she finished and then innocently asked her - "Whaddya think - which building was here first?" She got even angrier and walked away."
People have been doing that here (West coast USA) for YEARS. Property gets more and more valuable and then they start building new homes and residences right by the airport!! And then they complain about the noise!! Like people who bought homes near the huge PIG FARM in North Las Vegas and then complained about the smell. ???? Really? FINALLY the pig farm people relented and relocated and got a $hit ton of money for the property. People are funny animals, you know?? LOL!! :encouragement:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I kind of wondered why someone would stand by and film the destruction. I read an interview elsewhere that said the owner of the Mustang ran a small car rental business. The Mustang was where it was because it had a dead battery. By the time the other cars, plus household and personal goods had been evacuated, there was not time to safely save the Mustang. So people watched. The owner supposedly regrets the loss of the R2D2 mailbox which was apparently handcrafted by a family member.