How High the Lava, Mama?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Me in that situation: "Where the hell is my car?" after which I'd spend the better part of a day retracing my steps, convinced that I'd just forgotten where I parked it.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a future Farmers Insurance commercial if I ever saw one.

Saw Kilauea pahoehoe lava in the early aughts, and it was truly spectacular. That's a'a lava, supposedly named for the sound you make walking across it barefoot after it cools.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, they saw the lava flow across the road, saw the car, and just stood there filming it?

******s!

tommym

Reaction score
Sad thing is if the lava covers your property with sufficient height, you not only lose your home, you lose your property too. Typically no one has insurance to cover this type of catastrophe. You roll the dice when you live on the Big Island.....

Tommy

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sad thing is if the lava covers your property with sufficient height, you not only lose your home, you lose your property too. Typically no one has insurance to cover this type of catastrophe. You roll the dice when you live on the Big Island.....

Tommy

I did not know this until now (I just looked it up), but direct damage from a volcanic eruption (lava, ash, etc.) is covered, but damage from volcanic eruption-related earthquakes (there was a M6.9 on Friday) is not, at least if you have State Farm.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Tommy
I wonder how big their premiums are, to get insurance when they’re next to an active volcano.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I wonder how big their premiums are, to get insurance when they’re next to an active volcano.

They're not near an active volcano ... they're right ON TOP of it!

Our dream is retiring to Hawaii, and the Puna area is the one that has the most affordable properties. Now we know why they don't build houses to last there. Will have to revise the retirement dreams.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They're not near an active volcano ... they're right ON TOP of it!

Our dream is retiring to Hawaii, and the Puna area is the one that has the most affordable properties. Now we know why they don't build houses to last there. Will have to revise the retirement dreams.
You just gotta learn to surf on lava.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did not know this until now (I just looked it up), but direct damage from a volcanic eruption (lava, ash, etc.) is covered, but damage from volcanic eruption-related earthquakes (there was a M6.9 on Friday) is not, at least if you have State Farm.
Makes me wonder if it's only because earthquake/ flood insurance is sold as a separate product, as it is here in CA?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You just gotta learn to surf on lava.

'at's the spirit!

3261863.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, never seen anything quite like that before. This might be a candidate for the Darwin awards. I mean, the craziness of being that close to the flow is one thing, but the car might've exploded once that lava got to the gas tank... Anyway, I guess the photographer lived to tell about it.

Today I heard that someone had tried taking a selfie with a wild bear somewhere locally. That person will not be available to accept his Darwin award.

Some people seriously make you scratch your head.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow, never seen anything quite like that before. This might be a candidate for the Darwin awards. I mean, the craziness of being that close to the flow is one thing, but the car might've exploded once that lava got to the gas tank... Anyway, I guess the photographer lived to tell about it.

Today I heard that someone had tried taking a selfie with a wild bear somewhere locally. That person will not be available to accept his Darwin award.

Some people seriously make you scratch your head.

Having a hard time deciding whether or not that's a "bear" joke.
:emmersed: