Real tortoise?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree! I actually like changing my strings and making any necessary set up tweaks (...within my skill -set anyway!). It kinda bonds me with the guitar even more. I WISH I had the courage to attempt nut and saddle making, but I’d need about 20 blanks of each before I got a couple of them right! LOL.

And just the idea of “ genuine tortoise” boils my bunny!

Oh I know. A couple of years ago someone heard me talking guitars to Don probably at a bar and they said, "Oh, yeah, I gotta take mine into the shop." I asked what was wrong with it. "Needs new strings." :confusion:

I said, "Do it yourself." "Wouldn't have a clue how." "Bring it over to my house and I'll change them and show you how."

Of course it never happened.

It's shocking!!

The first time I experienced this I was in a Sam Ash and a very nice woman who looked and acted like a pro brought in a high-end Taylor and told them that "it was time for new strings." I was flabbergasted. I can't imagine playing an instrument and not knowing how to change the consumables. Can you imagine someone playing the saxophone and needing to bring it in for service to get the reed changed?

I've done my own acoustic Saddles, but not nuts. You haven't lived until you've sanded down a bone saddle. Ew. I have a nut file kit and I've adjusted nuts, but just never had the need to do one from scratch.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a nut file kit and I've adjusted nuts, but just never had the need to do one from scratch.

Nurse Ratched could pro'lly give you some pointers.
ef899d8d729b9d15b1e9ffd75197e8ee.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also ..... NEVER trust a effing PARROT!! I came in from a lovely afternoon and said, "Oh look, it's a bird!" and reached out to PET HIM and he tore my hand up. The a$$hole.

So now I've got a band aid on my fretting finger!!

If anyone ever thinks a parrot is a good idea, tell them it's not. Plus, they live forever.

Imagine a really great cat or dog that you've love more than life? And Katie lasted 22 years!! And then you've got this HIDEOUS pet that you keep trying to befriend and all they do is HATE YOU. And he's 36 years old!!

I'm gonna try and play some music with a tight bandaid on my left hand.......

Sometimes life ain't fair......

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also ..... NEVER trust a effing PARROT!! . . . . .So now I've got a band aid on my fretting finger!! ......

Time to recall all the tricks with slide that have been forgotten :courage:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Also ..... NEVER trust a effing PARROT!! I came in from a lovely afternoon and said, "Oh look, it's a bird!" and reached out to PET HIM and he tore my hand up. The a$$hole.

My candidate for the best veer of 2018. So far...

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You shoulda said "please".
You're always so imperious, bossing people around.
I wouldn't let you change my srtings either, unless you promised to loop the ends into cute little curls instead of cutting 'em off all butch.
I know, Al..... me and my imperious tone. I said it with a smile on my face, though......

cutrofiano

Reaction score
...I gotta take mine into the shop." I asked what was wrong with it. "Needs new strings." :confusion:
Just the other day I heard my office collegue (throgh the wall) talking to someone on the phone to fix a date for changing the tires on his racing bike.
I havent't been aware until then: What a putz...

Moritz

Last edited:

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
Just the other day I heard my office collegue (throgh the wall) talking to someone on the phone to fix a date for changing the tires on his racing bike.
I havent't been aware until then: What a putz...Moritz

Actually...uh..not to digress...but racing bikes use glue to hold on the tires...and taking off the old glue (with paint stripper) can be pretty messy and toxic. But, your point is well taken. Rich people can get pretty lazy...:chargrined:...Sooooooo, back to tortoise shells...

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The tortoises are not my problem..... bleeding open wounds are.....[/QUOTE

Now that's funny.
I actually have a pet tortoise that has been in our home for over 30 years.
And no I won't be using any of his parts for picks or pick guards if and when he dies.