NGD, finally bought a Gibson J200

Reaction score
So, now I have the 3 G's again...Guild, Gretsch and Gibson! (A few years back I had a D-25M, a Tennesseean and a J-160E)

I've always wanted a J-200. Partly because most of my iconic "heroes" had at least one, a bunch of the guys I play with (guys who LOVE my Guilds, by the way!) have one or two...and I've always liked them in black! I've played a few recently at a couple of stores...new ones, natural finish...some sounded pretty good, some not good at all*. None sounded better than my Guilds...some close, but none better! Still. the idea of someday having a J-200 stayed with me. But I could never justify the $$$ it takes to own one. Until now.

Saw this 2012 Gibson J-200 Standard Ebony on reverb and had it on my watch list. Funny, but black ones hardly EVER pop up, but there were two at the same time...a trans black custom shop and this Ebony Standard. I was most interested in this Standard. The guy took it down a couple of times, but a day or so later it would be back up! So I asked him why. Said he was having problems parting with it, but needed the cash more than the guitar, so he'd post it again! I made him an offer that he politely refused.

We talked back and forth a few more days, while I was doing as much research as I could. Then I remembered I had a pile of "Reverb bucks" that I had never used, and found out I could use them towards the purchase! Finally we agreed on a price and it was mine. Only took a few days to get here from Nashville.

Man, this thing was hardly ever played! Excellent condition! I inspected it, did a set up, put new D'Addario 12's on it, and this baby sings!
(*Perhaps I judged the other store units too harshly...every guitar benefits from a good set up, fresh strings and a thorough cleaning)
It's even got that "new guitar smell". Case is perfect too!

So... I think I got lucky! Got a very nice guitar at a very decent price! This guitar was specially ordered by Wildwood. I'm the 3rd owner.
It has the Fishman Ellipse Aura system in it, overly complex, but I know Fishman, so it's all good! Works great with my Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I.

Took it to the gig Friday night and the band, the soundman, and the musician audience members really liked the way it sounds and looks Plays easy and I had a ball!

Its a great addition to my "arsenal"! Doesn't sound better than my best Guilds, just different. Neck feels very different too. I especially notice it when going from the Gibson to the Guild. The Guild neck feels slimmer.

More later.

6Ox1RTF.jpg
NUI67Bh.jpg

TH8hEXy.jpg
C8pQQmL.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm super jealous over that one, Retro! Gorgeous x 10. Major Congrats!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another nice grab well done sir .
I myself can’t get past the pick guard and bridge so all the power to ya ! Lol

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The bridge and PG are just a couple of many reasons why this is considered an iconic guitar. I like the guitar and it's appointments really well. Some players don't though. I guess it's all just a personal preference type of thing.

Congrats by the way on a super cool piece.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice grab Retro and that is a great looking guitar! Hope you enjoy it for a long time to come. Really digging the ebony finish on this one.

TX

bobouz

Reaction score
Nice one Retro!

Seems to me like 2012 was a very good year for Gibson acoustics. I've got a natural finish 2012 J-185 with the same pickup as yours. Build quality is super clean throughout, and the tone is just what I want out of a 16" maple body.

On the other hand, the rumble of a 17" maple jumbo can be uniquely addicting. Luckily, I've got that covered, too, with both a Gibson and a Guild. As you mentioned, it's not a matter of one sounding better than the other. It's more about having a variety of appealing sounds to choose from.

Congrats & Enjoy!