NGD !966 Hoboken Guild F212-XL 12-String

wileypickett

Reaction score
This was for sale near me, the price was right, and I bought it.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507479

(The link is to a picture posted by the original owner some time ago, which is the only photo I have right now, as the guitar is being repaired.)

At first I thought this was an F212-XL with an F612 neck replacement, but apparently not? There are photos on the John Denver site of what are identified as his F212-XLs, and they (or it) have (has) the ornate fingerboard inlay, though not the Chesterfield headstock that this one has:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FbsxfisWnLk/maxresdefault.jpg

http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2015/08/john-denvers-guitars.html

In his book, Hans' page on the F212XL doesn't say anything about the model ever coming with an inlaid fingerboard. I've written him, but haven't heard back yet.

Both the pickguard and headstock overlay have shrunk, and I removed both. Underneath, I discovered several features I've never seen before. (I only have one other Hoboken 12-string to compare this with, an F212, so my experience is pretty limited!)

The soundhole rosette is tortoiseshell material, especially evident on the area that was under the pickguard.

There is a layer of Formica (!) under the headstock overlay. (You can see the edge of it around the headstock overlay in the photo -- it's that white edge.) I don't believe this was added later, as it fits the headstock perfectly and is so bonded to the headstock as to be unremovable, save via sanding. Also the thickness of the Formica makes the headstock just proud of the truss rod bolts. They'd be high enough without it that the TRC wouldn't lay flat.)

I have no idea whether the TRC MOP inlay decoration was done by Guild, or is a mod made by the previous owner.

Thoughts anyone?!

Work it needs:

The pickguard shrinkage caused three cracks in the top, one especially bad. After removing the pickguard and hydrating the top, it flattened out nicely. Cleating them should be an easy job. I'm going to try to reattach the original pickguard -- I'd like to keep as much of this as original as possible -- even though it may mean the crack repairs will be more visible.

The back of the neck had been sanded and relacquered, a done-at-home job so far as I can tell. I removed the tuners, which were replacements for the original pair of six-on-a-planks that would have come on this. (The replacements were decent quality Grover six-on-a-planks, not quite a perfect fit.) I'll have the old screw holes filled (all 18 of them!) and the neck re-lacquered. The area on the sides of the headstock weren't sanded so we should be able to do a pretty good color match.

Even with the ancient strings on the guitar, it sounded great, and the action was fine.

So far as I can tell, everything is original except the tuners.

Fingers crossed! Will update when repairs are done.

Serial number AE220.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, sounds like a cool guitar and a good score on something interesting!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a beautiful guitar Glenn. Good luck bringing it back!