Help ID an Artist Award?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msg/d/1970-guild-artist-award/6577130582.html
AFAIK All Artist Award variations are single floating pickup style yet this one has the Artist Award headstock with two pickups mounted in the body. So what is this?

Hello Rhodesworks,

Welcome! At first sight I thought we were looking at an X-500 Spec., but after looking a little more closely, it seems more likely that it is a converted Artist Award. You can see the ‘old’ screwholes for a floating DeArmond pickup on the side of the fingerboard extension, so the guitar probably started life with a DeArmond pickup. All the parts that were used look like legitimate Guild parts, except for the tune-o-matic style bridge, so it may have been done at the Guild factory or it was done by someone who had access to these parts.

And by the way, the guitar originally had Grover Imperial tuners, but those have been changed for more recent Super RotoMatics with Imperial handles.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses. It's always a good idea to ask the experts!

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I have a bridge like that on my Gibson L5. I like this guitar. If I were not short on coin I would consider it. I had even thought this would be a good setup before seeing this post.

Rockednrolled

Reaction score
Hi ya'll. That's my guitar posted on the Jacksonville CL. It was still my guitar when I posted in on the Orlando CL a couple of years back. I bought it in 1986 (30 years ago!) from the original owner ( a neighbor of mine) who told me that he sent the guitar back to Guild shortly after purchasing it in the early 1970's to have two humbuckings mounted in the style of his favorite Gibson L-5. Apparently he favored the L-5 humbucker sound to the DeArmond! I live in a small beach side town and have posted the guitar for sale in cities close to me with a larger musician base. I can count the musicians in my town on 2 hands! I'm not keen on shipping it and really prefer giving the buyer ample opportunity to casually check out and play the guitar before buying it...which I'm sure anyone playing it will! It's a great guitar...sort of a one-of (the only AA with humbuckings??)...and I think I've priced it right and reasonable? Feel free to ask questions.