Gibson files for Chapter 11......

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
:hororr:
Funnily enough, the N.S.U. in the song did not refer to the car, but to Non-specific Urethritis. :hororr:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=18104

I wasn't buyin' it.. except now I see he's even quoted on Wikipedia.
I didn't think they'd even invented the term yet in '66.
I never heard of it 'til the mid '70's and lemme tell ya, I had plenty of opportunity to...
I'm crushed.
Got any ugly Gibsons to show?
:tongue-new:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got any ugly Gibsons to show?
:tongue-new:

<Ducking>

8792-02-gibson-j-20-j20-elvis-presley-signature-250.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
Folks, go to YouTube & check out > Gibson Acoustic Guitar Factory Tour (Bozeman, Mt).

It's from April 2016, and runs about 11.5 minutes. Interesting stuff (you can easily spot some of those locator/alignment holes we were talking about in another thread!).

Gibsons & Guilds are my favorite guitars for a whole host of reasons. I can't say enough good things about the 2015 J-50 custom shop model I recently acquired - built I'm sure by many of these fine folks. Makes me really hope they survive this stretch & keep the factory going.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Thanks Bobouz, you can tell, there are a lot of talented craftsmen working at Bozeman making quality acoustic guitars. Unfortunately, people tend to focus on the bad decisions Mr Juszkiewicz has made which overshadows all the good stuff coming out of Bozeman.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bobouz - that was quite interesting - thank you.

I got to think about fingerboard radius after seeing that nifty contraption where the man simply swings the neck over belt sander. Is the radius of fingerboard constant in it´s entire length despite them strings spreading out toward bridge? Or is the fingerboard flatter in body end ? The radius is fairly long anyway so it should not make big difference.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I got to think about fingerboard radius after seeing that nifty contraption where the man simply swings the neck over belt sander. Is the radius of fingerboard constant in it´s entire length despite them strings spreading out toward bridge? Or is the fingerboard flatter in body end ? The radius is fairly long anyway so it should not make big difference.
That's a great question. When I first heard of it (In Guild Gallery #1, when Jm Inman said all Guild necks now had a standard 12" fretboard radius) I assumed that yes it was constant for the entire length of the neck.
Then a while back, when it hit me that the fretboard got wider the closer it got to the soundhole, I thought, well, it just be graduated.
Thinking about it again just now, I'd bet it's actually the same radius for the entire length of the fretboard, but because it's narrower at the nut, that represents a smaller arc of the circle by which the radius is defined, so it "feels" a little flatter even though it isn't.
But I'd like to see some confirmation (or correction) of that.
I'm thinking if it wasn't constant we'd see specs that defined the fretboard's graduation instead of just a specific radius.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, they’re certainly doing their best to (not) keep their customer base. I contacted customer service about getting a pickguard for my SG. The current model SG Special has the pickguard that I need (which isn’t available aftermarket). I wasn’t asking to be given one, I wanted to purchase it.
After 3 days I finally got an email back that they didn’t have any to sell. Really? They don’t have boxes of them in the factory with no spares?

Ever so helpful.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, they’re certainly doing their best to (not) keep their customer base. I contacted customer service about getting a pickguard for my SG. The current model SG Special has the pickguard that I need (which isn’t available aftermarket). I wasn’t asking to be given one, I wanted to purchase it.
After 3 days I finally got an email back that they didn’t have any to sell. Really? They don’t have boxes of them in the factory with no spares?

Ever so helpful.

That might not be a Gibson thing. A side conversation at New Hartford years ago, about selling production parts at retail, boiled down to "too much work for people who have other jobs to do, and little to no gain". That said, Guild today does seem to have some parts that are for MIA instruments although most of the parts seem to be for overseas production models. The whole "boxes of them in the factory with no spares" conversation is different when you don't own the factory.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was able to get current production parts not listed in the online store from Guild, from overseas production models. The Gibson is a US factory. Should be easier.

ClydeTower

Reaction score

Ever so helpful.

I had a different experience with Gibson customer service. I noticed that 2 of the Grover Rotomatic tuners on my SJ200 had some "play" in them. They worked as intend but I didn't like that they felt loose. I called Gibson CS, explained the problem, and they sent me 6 brand new Grover Rotomatic gold tuners free of charge! I admit I'm not a fan of Grover tuners (I find Gotohs superiour in every way) but I appreciate the fact they sent me new tuners (4 extra ones to boot) with no fuss whatsoever.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a different experience with Gibson customer service. I noticed that 2 of the Grover Rotomatic tuners on my SJ200 had some "play" in them. They worked as intend but I didn't like that they felt loose. I called Gibson CS, explained the problem, and they sent me 6 brand new Grover Rotomatic gold tuners free of charge! I admit I'm not a fan of Grover tuners (I find Gotohs superiour in every way) but I appreciate the fact they sent me new tuners (4 extra ones to boot) with no fuss whatsoever.
CT that was great that Gibson did that, but just remember all Grover tuners are warrantied and you just contact them and they will repair or replace, no charge. That's printed on every package of tuners. Good to know when one goes out.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
What's with the Gibson bashing anyhow?

Ok, so there are some frankengibbys out there... I'm sure Guild has a couple of goolishly ugly axes also (A pink and yellow X-79 Skyhawk anyone?).

guild_x_79_skyhawk_3_dxwrhg.jpg

In all cases, I don't think that these butt ugly guitars represent what each brand is about.
I don't think we need to kick a man when he's down either. Doesn't make Guild guitars any better...

I make this point cause I think the world is a better place with Gibson guitars in it.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ok, so there are some frankengibbys out there... I'm sure Guild has a couple of goolishly ugly axes also (A pink and yellow X-79 Skyhawk anyone?).
In all cases, I don't think that these butt ugly guitars represent what each brand is about.
OK you got sucked in by a humor veer.
Remember that guitar was posted in a humorous attempt to get the whole thread back on Gibson....from a veer about ugly cars..(post #56)
:friendly_wink:

I don't think we need to kick a man when he's down. Doesn't make Guild guitars any better...
I make this point cause I think the world is a better place with Gibson guitars in it.

Awww, don't go thinkin' we're kickin' Gibson because we're blindly loyal to Guild.
We've done out fair share of Guild-bashing around here too.
Although I gotta say that even though the world may be a better place with Gibsons in it, I think it's an even betterer place with Guilds in it....
And I'm gonna keep agitating for a real F40 until they make it or I die.
Which they're probably hoping will come first.
:glee:

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I'm in violent agreement, I would even say that my house is a better place with Gibson guitars in it.
No bashing here. Nothing but good spirited fun at weird looking objects. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
guild_x_79_skyhawk_3_dxwrhg.jpg

Actually, with Guild they DO represent what the brand was all about.
Nobody else had the cojones to do that!
Or this:
GUE0194_bodft.jpg

With a built-in stand, no less!

and those headstocks, let's not forget the headstocks!:
p1_umggoog3c_so.jpg

Gibson musta been shakin' in their boots when these came out!!!
:glee:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

When I was at Berns Music - ( 8417 Pillsbury Ave S 55420 Bloomington - 1-612-884-5774 - see - I remember it all - the store is no more existent ) - we had one BUNKER guitar and one Gene Simmons Axe bass in stock. Now THOSE were downright ugly - but fun and well built - we did like them ugly ducklings.