Gibson files for Chapter 11......

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I’m glad this finally happened. Henry took a profitable, prestigious company and just about ruined it with his ‘vision’. On another forum, someone listed his disastrous business decisions and acquisitions. It’s pretty mind boggling they made it this long. If this results in Henry’s departure and a refocus on guitar building, then hallelujah!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kind of disappointing. I mean I am glad that Gibson will continue on as a Brand and hopefully get things together without Henry J, But when you are sitting in your Lawn chair with a cold drink next to the blast zone with your sunglasses on expecting a front row seat to the Mushroom Cloud and all you get is a backfire from a Mazda Miata as the driver misses a shift it is a bit of a let down, LOL!:tongue-new:

TX

That's funny TX!

Rick Turner just posted this on his Facebook page, and I'm sure he's not lying, either.

"I was the only other guy in the Hilton hotel room when Henry Juskiewicz offered to buy the C.F. Martin guitar company from Chris Martin. NAMM, January, 1989... Now do we have something to be happy for?"

We sure do.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....but I truly believe some of the Gibson acoustic gear I own can compete with any brand and any model anywhere.....

I need a Gibson, if not a few (J-45, J-15, SJ-200). Megamilllions. TONIGHT!

....I really hope they can start putting out a consistent, high quality acoustic guitar again....

I don't know that they've actually stopped, despite the financial woes. I imagine their 2018 SJ-200's are going to be pretty consistently high quality guitars!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Court papers call for a one-year consulting deal and compensation package for Juszkiewicz"

If this gets rid of Henry J in the long run, it can only be good news.
Honestly, how much will it take to get rid of this A$$hole?? It's worth it. Sad that he gets paid to RUIN an epic and iconic guitar brand, but...... he must go!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kind of disappointing. I mean I am glad that Gibson will continue on as a Brand and hopefully get things together without Henry J, But when you are sitting in your Lawn chair with a cold drink next to the blast zone with your sunglasses on expecting a front row seat to the Mushroom Cloud and all you get is a backfire from a Mazda Miata as the driver misses a shift it is a bit of a let down, LOL!:tongue-new:

TX
I'm DYING here!!! LMFAO!!!! :encouragement:

Like when you're waiting for an explosion and ...... it's an IMplosion...... bummer man!

DrumBob

Reaction score
The big thing is, ownership of Gibson has been taken away from Jerkowicz, which is a huge deal. From now on, you're going to see big changes at Gibson. My hope is, they will liquidate or sell off all the unprofitable electronics companies they bought, as well as Baldwin, Kramer, Tobias, Slingerland drums, etc, and hire salespeople who will go out and re-establish relationships with the smaller dealers who can no longer afford to stock Gibson instruments due to the current and unfair minimum order requirements that exist. And then, for heaven's sake, make great guitars that people can afford!

Henry has a one year consulting deal, but that's just posturing, really. They couldn't throw him out on his a$$ right away, so they'll ease him out with a nice compensation deal, and by this time next year, he should be sailing off into the sunset.

There is a God after all.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I personally never saw the quality issues with the new electrics that I saw on the new acoustics, the last 10 yrs or so. I love me some old Gibby's. I have 3 friends that own '60's Hummingbirds, I've played 2 of them and what a treat. Then there's my cousin's '58 LP Jr. Jr.

I really hope they can start putting out a consistent, high quality acoustic guitar again, as well as all their iconic electrics.

"

My SJ200 is one of the best guitars I own. Fit and finish is second to none. Tone is awesome. Oh, and it smells great.
Just sayin.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My LP Special needs most of the electronics to be ripped out, the robo tuners trashed and a bone nut instead of the brass zero fret. Then it will be a good $500 guitar.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My SJ200 is one of the best guitars I own. Fit and finish is second to none. Tone is awesome. Oh, and it smells great.
Just sayin.

I'm right there with ya!!! My SJ 200 and my J 45's are all really fine acoustics. I'm sure they put out some dogs just like every (or nearly every) manufacturer out there. I just don't think it's rational to assume all guitars made by any Manufacturer are either all superb or all duds. It's been my experience it just doesn't work that way.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's true Charlie, he should have said "old MG"!

And first gen RX-7's ('79-'81) were notorious for it on throttle lift after acceleration, because they had a "thermal reactor" to make sure unburned fuel ignited.
NO catalytic convertor.
It was one of weaknesses of the "12A" motor, poor fuel atomization/distribution due to the rotating combustion chamber so incomplete combustion at high revs.
And those suckers could hit 7000 no problem. 9000 redline!! :victorious:
Backfire sounded like gunshots, you could have a little fun with it even at a standstill....just rev it up and lift....but fixed by '82.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, always loved the rotary engine design. A great idea, but sadly intake/exhaust ports were never perfected to the level of the piston engine's valvetrain.

A lot of people have spun those engines faster than 9K. I can only imagine how destructive backfires are in those suckers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, always loved the rotary engine design. A great idea, but sadly intake/exhaust ports were never perfected to the level of the piston engine's valvetrain.
Right, they addressed that in the Rx-8's.
A lot of people have spun those engines faster than 9K.
Oh yeah, racing mods can get pretty insane, that's where a whole bunch of 'em spent their final days and why nice ones are so hard to find. I always kept mine stock though.

I can only imagine how destructive backfires are in those suckers.

Actually not very, it doesn't happen inside the engine or create damaging back pressure. The reactor took all the punishment, and it released pressure through the tailpipe anyway.
I had 5 of 'em over about 15 years (there was about a 5 year period when I had 2 and even 3 at time) and they were incredibly reliable in stock condition.
I spent less buying any given Rx-7 than I did on my D40 and my F65ce!
The thermal reactor's a $900.00 piece, though, and I did have one go bad in my '80 at about 120,000, but that could be chalked up to normal wear and tear.
I can imagine a lot of those early ones were simply dumped by first or second owners when that one hit, because by then it cost almost as much or more than the cars were going for.
I used to think of 'em as the D25 of cars: economical, performance out of all proportion to its cost (especially handling) and an underdog with an usual design feature.
Trying to get back on track, maybe Gibson could take a page from Mazda's book....
:friendly_wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) I was really just kidding. Sure, they'll backfire if you seriously screw up the engine electronics/sensors, but in stock form all Miatas (which have only existed since 1990) have (modern) electronic fuel injection with properly adjusting spark ignition timing, etc.... Backfires are a thing of the past, or should be anyway! :) :)

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Youse people may have never seen one of these before, but those Wankel equipped marvel of the 60's (NSU) were very popular in the streets of my childhood hometown:

image hosting over 5mb

I liked them because they sounded different. lol

So how many suicides on the Gibson forum btw?

Last edited: