NOGD... 1973 F48 Navarre

Reaction score
It has cracks, much of the finish is worn through, and... it is perfect.

Smooth, open, balanced, powerful. And that's with 12s... looking forward to trying 13s as well.

Best of all, I was able to re-attach to the bridge a pickup sensor that was literally rattling around inside the body. It was like a K&K but with one larger sensor rather than a group of three.

The guitar came with a beat-up old case and a couple of nice straps.

Woot!

Antney

Reaction score
Sweet. But as the mantra goes “pics or it didn’t happen”.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, we need to see it. Congratulations!

Reaction score
Howdy - many thanks, sorry for the delay, I'm working on pics. Totally loving this danged guitar!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Here are two photos of Scratch plate's F-48; love the striped mahogany on the back!

F48_front1.jpg

F48_back1.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scratch plate, what is that plastic piece on the back of the headstock? Is that some sort of hanger?

Anyway, that looks like a great axe. Is this your first Guild? Welcome aboard, by the way, if I haven't already done so! :)

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That guitar has some serious "mojo" going on! It looks like it could play tunes all by itself at this point. :barbershop_quartet_

Nice score! And great looking axe.

beecee

Reaction score
I LOVE perfectly imperfect guitars.

I see that and I turn a cold eye to some of my case queens.

Good luck, looks like a beauty

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! I had been jonesing for a mahogany jumbo Guild for a long time, and had been looking in vain for one of these. As you know, they're not easy to come by, and most of the ones I did see were at or very near the neck reset stage. Happily, the Orpheum Jumbo came along eventually and scratched that itch!

Reaction score
The action is a smidge high and the saddle has been lowered. I am just going to play it for a few months and eventually look into maintenance. For now I can’t make myself care. It is soooo open sounding and robust at the same time.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Scratch...how much did you pay for it? I had one and sold it after some time, but have seller's remorse. Mine was in very good condition...paid $1,400.
Rich

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had owned 3 of these at different times in the past, all exceptional. For a variety of reasons (some not very good) I'd sold them all.

Recently one came up for sale on Ebay but he was pretty overpriced in my opinion. He finally accepted an offer I made and the guitar is here with me now. I believe it has light gauge strings on it which is a travesty in my opinion so I need to swap those out. I want my Luthier to go over it and set it up to my liking and I'll have him slap on a set of medium gauge strings at that time. It had a neck reset and it was done pretty well in my opinion.

I actually sold my Orpheum Jumbo which was an exceptional guitar. That sale paid for my F 48 and put $1,200 or so in my pocket to be used to pay down my guitar debt. Thankfully, I'm almost there now and hope to stay gear debt free for the for a long time. (but knowing me that likely won't happen)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had owned 3 of these at different times in the past, all exceptional. For a variety of reasons (some not very good) I'd sold them all.

Recently one came up for sale on Ebay but he was pretty overpriced in my opinion. He finally accepted an offer I made and the guitar is here with me now. I believe it has light gauge strings on it which is a travesty in my opinion so I need to swap those out. I want my Luthier to go over it and set it up to my liking and I'll have him slap on a set of medium gauge strings at that time. It had a neck reset and it was done pretty well in my opinion.

I actually sold my Orpheum Jumbo which was an exceptional guitar. That sale paid for my F 48 and put $1,200 or so in my pocket to be used to pay down my guitar debt. Thankfully, I'm almost there now and hope to stay gear debt free for the for a long time. (but knowing me that likely won't happen)

Wow Richard, I don't think I'll ever sell my Orpheum Jumbo, as I definitely learned my lesson sending the Orpheum 14 fret mahogany OM with the bad top back thinking it would be easy to get another. Orpheums (other than the 12 and 14 fret slope shoulders, which they seem to have made more of) are basically unobtanium these days, and the chance of CMG making more (and them being as good) are slim to none. It's also hard to imagine a rather heavily built F48 being as resonant, either. the two that I've played (both with little saddle in all fairness) certainly weren't.

Reaction score
I paid $800, although there will be some more $$. It was a local sale; I was not in the market but knew right away I had something special. I negotiated but didn’t really haggle.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow Richard, I don't think I'll ever sell my Orpheum Jumbo, as I definitely learned my lesson sending the Orpheum 14 fret mahogany OM with the bad top back thinking it would be easy to get another. Orpheums (other than the 12 and 14 fret slope shoulders, which they seem to have made more of) are basically unobtanium these days, and the chance of CMG making more (and them being as good) are slim to none. It's also hard to imagine a rather heavily built F48 being as resonant, either. the two that I've played (both with little saddle in all fairness) certainly weren't.

Well Sandy, I've never really been considered the sharpest knife in the drawer. The F 48 sounds really good although I won't say as good or better than the Orph Jumbo. But sometimes it's about more than that and the financial side comes into play. I did what I needed to do at the time and although I do miss the Orpheum Jumbo I can't say that I regret the decision. There's plenty of pretty nice guitars in this house to play. No argument with your love for the Orpheum Jumbo though. It is very well deserved.