Another Guild D4 question

Reaction score
Hello, forum members
I have a '92 D4NT I picked up at a pawnshop a few years ago for a nominal sum. It is straight-braced and I guess sounds so. Not a lot of overtones, not really shimmery or anything like that. A bit plain-Jane in sound and appearance. Yet it is an honest guitar in that it is balanced, intonates well, is responsive, and doesn't break down under heavy strumming. Above all it plays well. I'm wondering how the D-4 sounds to others. Would the sound I'm hearing just be the nature of a straight braced Guild of that period? I kind of struggle with defining sound.
Thank You.

geoguy

Reaction score
The D-4 is a good, straight-up spruce/mahogany dread, in my experience. Essentially a D-25M, minus the bling. Not that a D-25M has much bling to give up.

I've played a couple of D-4 examples. One was sort of "average" in tone, & the other was remarkable. Probably no different from multiple examples of other guitar models.

By "straight-braced", do you mean that the braces are not scalloped?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello, forum members
I have a '92 D4NT I picked up at a pawnshop a few years ago for a nominal sum. It is straight-braced and I guess sounds so. Not a lot of overtones, not really shimmery or anything like that. A bit plain-Jane in sound and appearance. Yet it is an honest guitar in that it is balanced, intonates well, is responsive, and doesn't break down under heavy strumming. Above all it plays well. I'm wondering how the D-4 sounds to others. Would the sound I'm hearing just be the nature of a straight braced Guild of that period? I kind of struggle with defining sound.
Thank You.
HI Traveler, welcome aboard:
Like Geoguy said a D4 was essentially a D25 minus a few build details, it was intended o be Guild's absolute lowest cost dreadnought by eliminating things like back binding, Gloss NCL finish, andheadstock overlays, and price didn't include a case like it did with the D25.
'91 was first year.
And yes bracing was "standard" (not shaved or scalloped) on both D25 and D4 (A D25M by the way only means a D25 with a mahogany-stained spruce top)
Assuming the guitar's ID'd correctly it should have the Mahogany arched back whose purpose IS to enhance sustain and overtones and give a more "shimmery" sound, especially when strumming chords.
So let's assume you do have a D4, then I'm guessing you may actually have a "dud" (fairly uncommon but not unheard of with Guild); or it needs some playing time to open up (what kind of shape is it in? Does it seem to be unplayed?); or, it may just need better strings.
Those were shipped with PB lights, .012-.053, made by D'Addario for Guild, and still available as their "EJ-16" set.
If you really want to duplicate Guild's 1992 string set, sub in a single PB025 from them for the .024 "G" that the EJ-16's come with.
I'm notorious for suggesting using what Guild built 'em with and have had several folks come back to confirm that surprise, they actually made a guitar s0und great.
A least you'll have a baseline to experiment with from there.
Another caution is that contrary to popular opinion, putting mediums on a guitar designed for lights can be counterproductive. The extra tension can actually make top too tight to resonate at its best, and I got a suspicion that might be the problem right there.
A D4 oughta keep right up with that 12-er you told us about.
If somebody played rhythm on it you oughta be able to hear that D4 playing scales right alongside it.
In fact, if the roles were reversed, it might well give the 12-er a hard time keeping up.
I oughta know, I got a D25 and a buddy with a JF30-12.
:friendly_wink:

Reaction score
The D-4 is a good, straight-up spruce/mahogany dread, in my experience. Essentially a D-25M, minus the bling. Not that a D-25M has much bling to give up.

I've played a couple of D-4 examples. One was sort of "average" in tone, & the other was remarkable. Probably no different from multiple examples of other guitar models.

By "straight-braced", do you mean that the braces are not scalloped?

Yes, sir, that is what I mean. Thanks for asking, Geoguy.

Since I've owned it I've kept it strung with Martin SP PB lights (.12-.54) It's been well-played upon, but is in quite good condition. The neck is in no need of reset although the first four frets will need replaced in the near future. Right now, no problems whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if my ears are playing tricks on me and perhaps the guitar actually sounds just fine. Interesting to hear a bit of history on things. Thanks, Adorshki

Last edited: