Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guild Thunderstar Bass head

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Nice although I would not want to transport that speaker cabinet unless there are handles, wheels or both that are not visible.

What's going one with the patch cord in the upper left? Are you somehow "telling" the amp that you are only using one channel and so it "behaves" differently?
    The cab, though solid wood, is actually much lighter than it looks. I would say it is similar in weight to the Aguilar DB112 I used to own, if not a tad lighter... probably around 40 lbs. The nice thing is that it has about a 2" ledge around the top and the bottom, so it makes transport pretty easy. The cool thing about the cab is that my cousin built it in the late 80's. It came to America with my family in 1995 and recently my dad gave it to me to convert into a bass cab. I installed an Eminence Legend 12" speaker, a 1/4" jack, and made the name badge for it sporting our family name "Hutzenlaub" since I suppose we kind of co-engineered it (in the 4th dimension anyway). It was a bit of a crap-shoot since the cab wasn't designed with a bass guitar speaker in mind, but I figured that since it was just about the same size as my old Trace Elliott cab, it had potential. Happy to report that it sounds excellent!
    Though I'm not 100% sure on the exact intended output wattage of my Thunderbass... it is considerably louder than any dual 6L6 45-50watt tube head I have had. Can't wait to use it in a jam and properly put it through its paces.
    The patch cable allows me to blend both channels together. To my ear the "bass" channel is rather mid-heavy and the "normal" channel has more of a scooped mids tone. When running both channels via the patch cable, I can control the mids by favoring one or the other and makes it a far more versatile amp than my old Thunderstar Bass head was.
    Last edited by mellowgerman; 07-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks.

My college roommate had a 1x15 speaker cabinet that he built. He may have been using plans based on the Dead's Wall of Sound. I think he had a JBL in it and I seem to recall an Ampeg head, ('70's) B4 perhaps? Anyway it was a nice piece of wood work so it was moved with more care than cabinets covered in Tolex. He built a dolly and a piece of plywood that was screwed in for transit and covered the front and protected the speaker. He was the better bassist so I moved that cabinet a lot. Those days are long gone ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Thanks.

My college roommate had a 1x15 speaker cabinet that he built. He may have been using plans based on the Dead's Wall of Sound. I think he had a JBL in it and I seem to recall an Ampeg head, ('70's) B4 perhaps? Anyway it was a nice piece of wood work so it was moved with more care than cabinets covered in Tolex. He built a dolly and a piece of plywood that was screwed in for transit and covered the front and protected the speaker. He was the better bassist so I moved that cabinet a lot. Those days are long gone ;-)
    Yeah, once I had my Aguilar cab (which go for $600+ new) I developed some very gentle cabinet handling habits and I pretty much never let anybody else lug it around. Since I don't tour anymore these days and rarely get a chance to jam outside of the house, I'll be sure to be extra gentle on the rare occasion I move the Hutzenlaub cab... especially considering how sentimental it is!