Guild D4-NT

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Hi,

I think I found a '93 D4-NT that seems to be in good condition with OHSC. They're asking $375 for it. Recent setup 2 months ago, with bridge lowered. Some knicks on sides but nothing major.

Good price? I know it's the entry level for Guilds during the Westerly-era.

00s0s_iS2Z7N0OYeA_600x450.jpg

00808_gsRSXzDIsp8_600x450.jpg

00D0D_5fujgk4KXh_600x450.jpg

00T0T_5qre5DrlPFu_600x450.jpg

00q0q_enJJ3Nn6F2F_600x450.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you have played it and sound suites you don't think you will loose any money at that price.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I think I found a '93 D4-NT that seems to be in good condition with OHSC. They're asking $375 for it. Recent setup 2 months ago, with bridge lowered......

Looks pretty good, and the price seems quite reasonable. That may be because, as mentioned, it's soon to need a neck re-set, based on the lowered saddle. The question is, how much lowered? If it's pretty flat with little break angle on the strings, the volume/tone may be affected to some degree, requiring a reset to get back to the right neck angle. This can be temporarily addressed by ramping the pin holes... :torn:

sitka.bc

Reaction score
I decided to pass on it as per the above. You guys are great in terms of your knowledge! Thanks

bronzeback

Reaction score
You mean the saddle, or the bridge was lowered? I suspect you mean saddle. If the setup is acceptable and it plays well that's a deal I'd take. My D4 sounds and plays great! No you don't want to pay for a neck reset on a $400 guitar, but likely you would not need to. Impossible to say without looking at it, or better pics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You mean the saddle, or the bridge was lowered? I suspect you mean saddle. If the setup is acceptable and it plays well that's a deal I'd take. My D4 sounds and plays great! No you don't want to pay for a neck reset on a $400 guitar, but likely you would not need to. Impossible to say without looking at it, or better pics.

Yeah just going by shadow in one pic bridge actually looks ok, appears to have original contour from raised center section to the "wings".
And a lowered saddle is much more common than a shaved bridge.
@Sitka: in case you DO want to revisit this, or for later reference, the "ideal" combined height of the bridge and the saddle, measured at the side facing the soundhole and at the "crowns" approximately between the A & D string, should be real close to 1/2", of which bridge height should be about 5-6/16" and saddle should be about 2-3/16".
Tolerance of as much as +/-1/8" on that total wouldn't be out of line, (my Corona D40's that tall, 5/8" total, but both the Westerlys are virtually exactly there with less than 1/32 variation) but the bridge itself needs to be tall enough to withstand splitting pressure of the saddle in its slot.
If the bridge itself is "shorter" than 5/16" that'd raise a red flag to me, to inspect very closely for signs of shaving.
In Westerly the procedure was to set the neck and then select a bridge from pre-milled stock of various heights to best match the neck angle, so the variation in bridge height is due to the imprecise nature of neck-setting.
So a bridge lower than 5/16" is possible but might also indicate a neck that was set pretty "flat" in the first place, and might shift to unacceptably high action sooner that most.

beecee

Reaction score

Not disagreeing but how funny in that one of the best bang for your buck Guilds out there is not "worth" throwing a neck reset at. Even at, say $300* for the neck reset, can you find a better guitar for a combined $675?

*Price shown is for comparative purposes only. All facts presented are deemed acquired from reputable sources. Not valid in all states.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Not disagreeing but how funny in that one of the best bang for your buck Guilds out there is not "worth" throwing a neck reset at. Even at, say $300* for the neck reset, can you find a better guitar for a combined $675?

*Price shown is for comparative purposes only. All facts presented are deemed acquired from reputable sources. Not valid in all states.

I've seen decent, playable examples of D-15's, D-25's, D-35's, D-40's and D-6's go for that kind of money. I ended up with about $475 in the wife's D-4 after buying it, and having a setup done with bone nut and saddle, and felt like that was about as much as I should put into that guitar.