Thought you folks might want to see this

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Allegedly the only Explorer bass ever made. 1959. It’s real, short scale and kinda great.

image1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Are the tuning pegs banjo-style?

more pics !! PLEASE

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Allegedly, they made only one.

Nice, thanks for sharing!
I take it that is the only one made in the early days then? I know Gibson has made a few different explorer bass variations since.
I had an Epiphone Korina Explorer bass briefly during my psych-rocking Bold Folly days a couple years ago. Way back in 6th grade when I started out on bass, it was THE ONE that I wanted, but it turned out that it wasn't really my thing... though it set up very well, the neck was very shallow from front to back, not really comfy to hold in any position (the Epis are long scale), and it wasn't very even in terms of resonance (certain notes were extra boomy and some had no sustain what so ever). Maybe the one I got was a dud and I can imagine a short-scale one would be more comfortable. In any case, I had to give it a go to humor my 12 year old self. Also, it sure looked cool!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm assuming it has a significant value, but the guy is just sitting there on his bed with it! Very cool!

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very cool. how does its sound compare to the 50s EB-1? similar?

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I didn’t plug it in. But acoustically it’s a first rate bass.

As a prototype, it’s actually a guitar, with a bass neck glued on and bass hardware. Under the ill-fitting pickguard, a hole peeks out, drilled for the bridge-post of a guitar. The owner says there’s another pickup hole under there too.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Oh, also of interest:

The current owner traded out the Gibson suck-switch for a variable pot. So he has, in effect, a bass control on the thing. I could see that being pretty useful, actually.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited: