Guild GMA-CE Ukelele

akumaninja

Reaction score
Can anybody shed some light on what I've got here? I can't find any information about it, where/when it was made, what it's made of, anything. What kind of uke is this, and when/why did Guild produce it? So many questions! Thanks for your help. ^_^

PNG%20image.png

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No info that I can find about a new line of Ukeleles by Guild.
Looks like what an MIC Guild might look like if they built one though.
Did stumble on to some more pics of what might be the same instrument listed on OfferUp
several months ago in the Glendale CA area
https://offerup.com/item/detail/393454952/
c6625bd94ec94c8e9729794b5adcca07.jpg

8064dfc44c1144358bdfb53cd2147ce8.jpg

5efccebd66ed4cfebad5b9cf906526eb.jpg

akumaninja

Reaction score
I think this might be the same exact one. I traded a Kala U-Bass with someone in/near the Glendale area, thinking if it's a Guild, it's got to be good. I went home, wasn't able to find any info, and so...here I am.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Córdoba does have their own line of ukes. With no history of Guild ukes, other than the baritone to use up some small mahogany, that would just compete with the parent instruments. Plus, they would’ve made a big announcement.

Smells iffy.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed.
Did not know Cordoba had such an extensive line of ukes - pretty cool.
But no resemblance to any of the models on the Cordoba site.

Imo this uke is trying hard to look like miniature MIC D120 or M120.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Guild had Baritone Ukes in the 60's...with a script logo and not likely with electronics...the CE designation usually indicates Cutaway with Electronics/Electric...obviously no cutaway...suppose the C could be for the color Cherry...pics aren't very red, though...tiny possibility it was a fairly recent one off/prototype for something not put into production...or a complete fake...leave it to the expert...Hans.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And it looks too well built to be a cheap, "made-to-deceive" knockoff.
Yeah, that’s the puzzle. Everything looks totally legit, the label, the logo, etc. But there’s nothing on Guild’s site, or in their news releases about it. And if it were a prototype, wouldn’t it be marked some way?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
And if it were a prototype, wouldn’t it be marked some way?

Not necessarily. At least some of the "prototypes" I saw in New Hartford had no marking whatsoever to indicate they were not regular production models intended for sale. (Some did, but not all).

I wonder if this was made by a factory on speculation and Cordoba decided not to go ahead with the project?

merlin6666

Reaction score
The label looks interesting "Designed in California" ... are there any other Guilds with a label that looks like this?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think this might be the same exact one. I traded a Kala U-Bass with someone in/near the Glendale area, thinking if it's a Guild, it's got to be good. I went home, wasn't able to find any info, and so...here I am.
You might want to contact Guild to see if they can confirm anything.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can anybody shed some light on what I've got here? I can't find any information about it, where/when it was made, what it's made of, anything. What kind of uke is this, and when/why did Guild produce it? So many questions! Thanks for your help. ^_^

HI Akuma, welcome aboard!
Looks like Mahogany but guessing it'll be one of the African varities as opposed to "true" Mahogany.
Guild had Baritone Ukes in the 60's...with a script logo and not likely with electronics...the CE designation usually indicates Cutaway with Electronics/Electric...obviously no cutaway...suppose the C could be for the color Cherry...pics aren't very red, though...tiny possibility it was a fairly recent one off/prototype for something not put into production...or a complete fake...leave it to the expert...Hans.

I'm in agreement with the folks suspecting a CMG prototype from the factory that makes the Westerly Collection, so the old labeling conventions don't necessarily carry over.
And if it's a "first article" prototype (as opposed to a "feasibility" build) it would be intended to look just like a production instrument, but might explain why the label's actually incorrect, since I'd interpret it as GMA=uke and "ce" cutaway electric since they still do use that code..
Also if not actually scheduled for production it makes sense they wouldn't have announced it ("yet?").
I bet it lacks an s/n, though.
We've seen other prototypes of WC's like that flamed mahogany item that made a splash here a couple of months ago, and which eventually did become a production model:
http://guildguitars.com/g/d-240e-flamed-mahogany/
See post #1 here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192688-Happy-Days
Thread mentioning the OM240e and the D240e (which made production) in flamed 'hog:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...Edition-model/page2&highlight=flamed+mahogany

Last edited: