Is this floating bridge leaning?

Rialto1564

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/ttLUu

Hi folks,

I’ve been wondering if the bridge on my 90’s Starfire II is leaning forward a bit. Possible suspects are a case that’s a poor fit, though I though it was acceptable, or heavy strings (I had flatwound 12s on it for a while).

If so, should I try to disassemble and straighten the posts?

Hopefully the picture link will function

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

ttLUu

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't have an answe for you but here are a couple of your pics:

LCQOFKz.jpg

INtwxUG.jpg

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Thanks GAD.

I don’t think it’s serious, but it caused me to do a double take. It’s intonating all right.

If you have a minute, how did you get the pics in the post? I didn’t see an option for that, just for the links. Does the forum prefer links or images directly in the post?

Thanks again,

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I Went to your imgur page, right-clicked on an image and chose "copy image address" (this is in Safari, but most browsers have a similar feature). I then used that URL when choosing the "insert image" tool on this page.

We tend to like inline images. Clicking is hard. :biggrin-new:

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like the posts are leaning a bit -- not a huge deal, especially with a bridge you can freely move fore/aft, but also fixable. You may be able to simply bend the posts back straight, though I might just replace them. A lot of floating bases just use flathead machine screws for the posts and you can just unscrew and replace them from the backside (not sure what yours looks like underneath). I'd probably just do that and replace with some nice stainless equivalents. The thing with trying to bend them is that there's not a ton of wood in that bridge base and it may just deform or crack, rather than holding tight enough to bend the posts back. It's also possible that that's what's happened, rather than the posts themselves bending. Won't know 'til you take it apart.

bobouz

Reaction score
Yes it's leaning, but it's not a significant issue. Sometimes you can just grab hold of the saddle portion (without impacting the lower portion of the bridge), pull it towards the tailpiece, and see if it will rest & remain in a more upright position.

I've had this work many times, both with guitars & mandolins.