Reverb Interview with Dan Smith (Fender)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The writer Tony Bacon has been recently providing Reverb with some previously unpublished (in full, at least) interviews. The latest is one with the late Dan Smith from 1992 concerning the end of CBS-era Fender and the early days of the current company. IMO it's good stuff.

https://reverb.com/news/interview-f...n-how-to-turn-around-a-faltering-guitar-brand

Concerning my own recent (and excellent) experiences with early Fender Japan instruments:

Bacon: Why did you hold off introducing those [Fender Japan guitars] to the U.S. market?

Smith: Because we were trying to solve the problems in the factory. We thought that would be the kiss of death if we started bringing in product that was already better than what we could make. In fact I’ll never forget when the first samples came in and everybody came up to inspect it, and these guys almost cried, because the product was what we were trying to do and having a hell of a time trying to do.

-Dave-

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very interesting article! Being an old manufacturing quality guy I share in the frustration of how people and their attitudes can drive the manufacturing process straight into the ground.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I was going to post if no one else had. I note the "inside" view of building guitars differs from what we often think it is. I note the possible parallel to Guild - for a while after the sale by CBS, the only money coming in came from the MIJ product.

Dondoh

Reaction score
Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing!