You could put your eye out with those strings!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's good to know that here at LTG we have a healthy mix of coilers and cutters, and we seem to get along just fine. :victorious:

Joe

I'm a coiler.
The habit started when I got my first flat-top, "Stringeater", whose sharply angled adjustable metal saddle liked to chomp G strings about ever 10 hours or so, when the rest of the set was just getting broken in.
Leaving a coil on the peg end of the string ensured that I could always perform field repairs by just looping the broken end through the ball-end and restringing inside of 5 minutes, because a good 3/4 of that guitar's playing time was busking.
When I got the Fender the problem went away but I still like my girls to have curls.
Like the ones on the treble side of Jimi's 12-er.
:friendly_wink:

matsickma

Reaction score
When I was in my late teens and twenties I never trimmed the strings. Didn't know anyone who did at that time. Now that I'm older I always trim them.
M

Sal

Reaction score
This is a good time to repost the photo I took in Nevis a couple of months ago.

Wow guild-1979-d40, that Cortez headstock is shocking! What is that, a "C" shield looking very much like a Guild "G" shield? That's one for the archives!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow guild-1979-d40, that Cortez headstock is shocking! What is that, a "C" shield looking very much like a Guild "G" shield? That's one for the archives!

Yup, that is definitely a shameless copy. At least they made the name well-differentiated from the real deal.

geoguy

Reaction score
I nip the strings off as close as to the tuner as I can muster.

Awhile ago I played a guitar that had strings cut off perfectly flush with the tuner hole, & wondered how that was accomplished. Possibly with the "flex the string until it breaks" technique??

matsickma

Reaction score
I really like the tuners with the slot inlieu of the hole. They are so easy to restring and since the string us bent to go inside the tuner they always are neat and clean at the head and lock in place like a modern locking tuner. Can't believe they are not more common.
M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The best design is how it's done on a bass guitar!

The tuning machines have holes in the bottom of the capstans to "plug-in" the end of the string.

bass-guitar-with-custom-headstock-decal-860x484.jpg

Once it's wound there is no visible end!

Fender_Jazz_Bass_Headstock.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since I use the Taylor method, I cut my strings to length FIRST, then I put a 90 degree bend in the end just big enough to go through the hole in the tuning machine. Then I wind away! Easy peasy. If I accidentally bend too much over, I snip with the nippers I posted earlier.

matsickma

Reaction score
How does that lock the string? I thought you had to have extra string for st lesst a turn to cross over the string on the side of the hole you slid it into.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Another guitar with slot and center hole tuner is a Mex Voodoo Strat I have. Not sure if all Fenders come with these tuners but the only one I own has them.
M