Chicago Music Exchange

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone been to their store? I'll be in Chicago in a couple of weeks and plan on visiting, though I might have to leave my wallet at the hotel to be safe.

I love my Guilds, but I'm not sure I'll be able to leave the Les Paul Wall alone...

instrumentshop-chicagomusicexchange.jpg

F312

Reaction score
Don't forget a Portillo's Italian beef sandwich while in town.

Ralph

Neal

Reaction score
Super nice place. I spent the better part of an afternoon in there.

I bought a '59 Gretsch Clipper from them. A very nice experience.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Their website is a dangerous enough place as is. I don't think I'd survive an in-person encounter. I know my balance sheet wouldn't.

Antney

Reaction score
My son moved to Chicago this past January. I'm going out to visit him and see the city in June. He sent me a proposed itinerary and one afternoon is blocked out for Chicago Music Exchange. I told him I didn't want to spend an entire afternoon there. He replied "yes you do".

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Made it to CME today and took some pics. It's a very nice store with hundreds of nice guitars on display including maybe 7 Guilds. All the cool stuff that's on Reverb was nowhere to be found with a couple of exceptions.

The shop is very much mostly Gibson/Fender. And by mostly Gibson/Fender I mean mostly Gibson. Well, maybe not, but it seemed like the Gibsons were more out in front than the Fenders.

IMG_5642_1600.jpg

IMG_5643_1600.jpg

This is the majority of Guilds on display. The one in front is a '66.

IMG_5647_1600.jpg

This one was cooler than I expected, but the finish is still tacky so it felt kind if icky.

IMG_5648_1600.jpg

Same corner (all the way in the back of the store:

IMG_5649_1600.jpg

The acoustic room:

IMG_5651_1600.jpg

The basement is all bass:

IMG_5653_1600.jpg

One of the few things I really wanted, but it was almost $3k:

IMG_5655_1600.jpg

I will say that the store is very nice. There are little practice rooms where you can bring a guitar and each one is filled with a nice variety of nice amps (one had a Two Rock in it).

The people were all super nice and the entire store had a very relaxed and friendly vibe. It was 2PM on a Thursday, though, so very few people in there.

Believe it or not, I spent some time at the Les Paul wall and not a single one of them caught my eye. Go figure.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That looks like a store I would enjoy! Any Guilds in the acoustic room?

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
CME just recently bought from me, my NH built D 40C. They've bought at least 5 from me now. They are really great to deal with.

jcwu

Reaction score
The shop is very much mostly Gibson/Fender. And by mostly Gibson/Fender I mean mostly Gibson. Well, maybe not, but it seemed like the Gibsons were more out in front than the Fenders.

IMG_5642_1600.jpg

Hey, I'll be honest, I'm much more a strat guy, but nothing screams guitar lust to me like a wall of Les Pauls. They're just so pretty to look at. Maybe it's the shape and the curves. That belly. I've had a visual thing for Les Pauls ever since I saw Slash playing one.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, I'll be honest, I'm much more a strat guy, but nothing screams guitar lust to me like a wall of Les Pauls. They're just so pretty to look at. Maybe it's the shape and the curves. That belly. I've had a visual thing for Les Pauls ever since I saw Slash playing one.

I fully expected to walk in, see a few that knocked me out and have to fight not to buy one, but that didn't happen. I like a very specific look on a Les Paul and they just didn't have any I liked.

I agree, though, I think they're great looking.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not even that one that looks like blue on the top row just to the left of the chandelier?
Not that I was looking hard or anything.

I do like that Pelham blue look, but if I'm going to drop $5k on a Les Paul it's going to be *exactly* what I want. Honestly, though, what keeps me from buying (and when i do gets me selling it again) is that the perfect Les Paul for me is this:

5D3_7495-16x9_1600.jpg

This is about as close as I've come with a Les Paul:

_B0Z2022_800.jpg

The problem is, as much as I loved that Les Paul it was freaking $4k. I sold it and bought TWO Nightbirds with that money!

There's just something about an R9, though. I think it's the necks. I love me some fat neck Lesters.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW that beautiful Nightbird is in Fixit's hands and he just told me that he finished a fret job on it (the frets were really worn and apparently not original) and I cannot wait to get it back. I have a pair of NOS 4-wire gold HB1s for it (Thanks Hans!) that I may finally get around to installing.