DV-52 for graduation present?

• yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

beecee

Reaction score
I just saw that video of him playing Going to California on a different guitar.

He's ready!!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Congrats and great idea! There's a big difference between proudly owning one of the greatest guitars of all time and borrowing it from dad ;)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
He graduates one week from tomorrow. My friend also made him a custom hand-tooled leather guitar strap with Matt's name on it.

Aristera

Reaction score
I've been there. My daughter originally got my JF-55 as a graduation/birthday gift. After playing my F-65ce which has a smaller profile I could tell a trade was in order. No regrets.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very cool gift indeed along with a never sell stipulation unless there’s no need 😁

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I doubt he would ever sell it. I'd be more concerned about it being stolen. But, when you give something to someone, it is theirs. Anyway, he owns several guitars but I have a feeling he'll guard this one with his life.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Our son is graduating from college. Should I give him the DV-52 for a graduation present?

Are you crazy? I don't care if I'm alone on this side, I vote "no"! That guitar is much, much too gorgeous to give up for this occasion. He gets it when you DIE. That's the right occasion for letting that guitar out of your cold, dead hands.

I didn't read through to the end. Maybe you've already given it up. I still vote no. :tiger:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Alright, good for you, Cougar! You are the only one who voted no! Everybody else is finding pretty easy to give my guitar away, aren't they? LOL

I will be giving it to him next week. We're proud of him for working 1-2 jobs all the way through college and being on the Dean's list. He stuck with it and got it done in 4 years, didn't take any time off.

Plus he's already a good guitar player.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you crazy? I don't care if I'm alone on this side, I vote "no"! That guitar is much, much too gorgeous to give up for this occasion. He gets it when you DIE. That's the right occasion for letting that guitar out of your cold, dead hands.

I didn't read through to the end. Maybe you've already given it up. I still vote no. :tiger:

Cougs,

I've been holding back on hitting the post button because I have some personal things to say here. I hope this doesn't offend... I'm giving you a serious, honest reply to your post because I totally understand that point of view and it makes me sad...

My perception of kids these days is that they entitled, selfish, and very loose with their moral codes (read that as lack of self-respect). It's also true that their respect for their elders is nigh non-existent. It's really disgusting. Meanwhile, they live their lives inundated with distractions and constantly in touch with hundreds of people at a time on one level or another. I think this is, in large part, why those problems exist.

It's a very different world from when I was a kid, Cougs. But, this is the world we are giving them and we have no one but ourselves to point fingers at. That fact bothers me on a daily basis.

As parents, it's our responsibility to try to steer our kids in the right direction. I'm not talking about generalities anymore, I'm talking about my / your children. Every kid is different, right, but this act of generosity is the seed of change which addresses the kinds of problems this generation faces. Some kids might be so lost that they wouldn't truly appreciate it (and learn from it), but I'm certain that dread's kid will be a better adult as a result of this.

I guess my parting thought on this subject is this... While giving treasured things to young kids is problematical, I think that as they become adults the opposite is true.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone for your input - done deal - see my new post "Graduation Day."