The all hog hunt

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Has it ended ? Heck I don’t know . So after looking around hearing what samples I can, deciding on body size and last not least the price . I decided to give the Westerly OM120 a try .

This time around I’m not keen on spending a kings ransom on a guitar . Yeah I’d love a all Honduras hog but unfortunately for me being the good dedicated Guild lover you all made me into there’s not one in a Triple O size or is it OO I this case ?

I’m not put off by the Sapele as it’s discribe as having just bit more brightness then Honduras .

Biggest factors when it comes in would be how thick is the Poly finish and it’s impact on the guitars tone .

A few samples I listened to were the Martins OO 15 , is that right I forget and a Collings and another which I also forget haha . The Martin was the cheapest used I seen one for 900 new I think 1,500 or so for get the Collings haha .

So I ordered it from Sweetwater , just for the candy of coarse well no not really they just do a good job of inspecting and picking out the guitar closet to what you want and they send you pictures to confirm add their 55 point inspection and youcamt go wrong with that .

I’ve seen some new members here ( to me ) that have one . I’d like to hear your view of the guitar or anyone else that has played one .😬

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Don't have one just wanted to say congratulations and looking forward to your report.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't have one just wanted to say congratulations and looking forward to your report.

I think I forgot to say their out of stock it will 2 months before it comes so they say .

leehop71

Reaction score
tDe3Pk6.jpg

I got this from Sweetwater. Very nice and easy to play. I've always preferred the all hog tone and would love to be able to afford a Taylor 322, but it is what it is!

Liked it so much, I decided to get an M-140 a little smaller body but with the spruce top.

jbsyUTN.jpg

Neal

Reaction score
Once you have gone whole hog, you will realize why Wood and I love our '71 D-25's.

Warm, sweet tone.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, is this a hog hunt or a sapele hunt? :courage:

"Haha" indeed,
Joe
Yeah I should change the title to Hog sound hunt via Sapele lol

tDe3Pk6.jpg

I got this from Sweetwater. Very nice and easy to play. I've always preferred the all hog tone and would love to be able to afford a Taylor 322, but it is what it is!
How do you like the om120 sound ?

Once you have gone whole hog, you will realize why Wood and I love our '71 D-25's.

Warm, sweet tone.

Wish I could find one . :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just like described above, warm and sweet/smooth.

That’s good but I had ask . I bought a Gad F30 nice guitar build wise but the notes went dull the farther up the neck I went so I returned it . I always ask questions lol

I can’t remember if that was the guitar that lead me hear but I think so .

I’m pretty sure this is the song wrote with it , I was using the under saddle pickup . I wrote the song quickly knowing I had to take it back.

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/vapor-trails

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
there is a OM-240E near me for sale on CL, 300 asking price, looks brand new.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Dear Ray. I'm not saying this is the best vid or audio recording but give Breedlove a chance. If you can find one near you play it because they're making the best of the new guitars today (in my humble opinion)..... I'm going for the ALL MYRTLEWOOD one because it's just effing amazing, but ....... sometimes you have to buy outside the box. The box will limit you. I love Guild guitars. So much. But they don't always make the BEST guitar of something I'm looking for, so.... I branch out..... it's just a consideration. And if you don't consider it, I don't really care why..... just consider.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Dear Ray. I'm not saying this is the best vid or audio recording but give Breedlove a chance. If you can find one near you play it because they're making the best of the new guitars today (in my humble opinion)..... I'm going for the ALL MYRTLEWOOD one because it's just effing amazing, but ....... sometimes you have to buy outside the box. The box will limit you. I love Guild guitars. So much. But they don't always make the BEST guitar of something I'm looking for, so.... I branch out..... it's just a consideration. And if you don't consider it, I don't really care why..... just consider.

This is good advice, Ray. Climb out of the box and breathe. :victorious:

Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is good advice, Ray. Climb out of the box and breathe. :victorious:

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the support. Good guitars are good guitars and they come in all brands and styles and colors and shapes and..... if you're open to the sound and the possibilities..... you can find what you're looking for. Use your ears, not your eyes or preconceptions, to shop and buy!!

I hate dreadnought cutaways. I just HATE them. They look stupid. Dreadnought shape is odd and awkward anyway (I have two, shut up) and then I walk into GC one day and they have a Gibson (HORROR) dread cutaway (DOUBLE HORROR) and I grabbed it off the wall and.... guess what? If I'd had the money right then, that guitar would've been mine!! But I didn't and it didn't and so ...... and so it goes......

So the point is.... broaden your horizons..... (not with the tranny hooker on the corner or anything) but with respect to these wood things we love so much!! Search, amigo!!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I’ll check that out , I actually like Breedlove just forgot about them .
As for my choice for the Guild Om 120 , the decision was based on price , sound , all solid wood construction , wood type and body shape .
I’m not stuck in a box by any means . I’ve had many guitars before Guild came into the picture .

The thing is I’m very happy with the tone I get from my guilds and they are easily equal to or better then any within their price range at least that I played and compared .

You’ve heard me talk about Blueridge and that’s my choice of the keeper between my BR180A and my Guild D55 . If Blueridge had a all Sapele model it would be on its way to my house. !

Ironically Tom the best sounding guitars in the acoustic room vault beating out the Big three and Yamaha was a Breedlove so thanks for reminding me about them 😉

Ok just looked at the guitar it’s nice Solid Honduras top laminated back and sides . One price 1500 another 1999. The Guild looks quite nice at 649 :) lol
Don’t forget my skill at returns if the Guild fails my ear test ! 😁

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, you do returns very well!! LOL!! :encouragement:

Hey another thing I find interesting is lots of shops are out of stock on this model and you see a lot used for sale . Maybe that says something ? IDK .

Last edited: