Big stars playing guild guitars ?

Bernie

Reaction score
That's one of those Gibson Starburst models!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl
Thanks Hans : didn't know that guitar...The amplified sound didn't sound too good anyway...I remember watching videos of Suzanne Vega within her Guild days, and others from her Taylor ones, and thought that the Guild sounded more realistic and acoustic...
Don't know what kind of preamp and pickup she had, but I'm willing to get one and I'm looking around...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just now seeing this thread as I have been rather busy the last few months. Let me say a belated Welcome to LTG Bernie! There are and were several American Country Artists that play or played Guilds. Just a few off the top of my head are George Strait played a D100-CRV carved heel dread for awhile and had Advertisements for it as well. Chris Ledoux had several Guild's (mainly Jumbos) including a JF100-CRV Carved heel, F50 Maple, F50R and a few others. Deana Carter played an X170 Manhattan and had advertisements with her and her guitar. Gary Allan played an Artist Award Full Hollowbody and had it in his video for "Smoke Rings In The Dark" back in the day.

You of course can't forget John Denver with his several F612, F512, F212XL, and F50R models. Jonathon Edwards of "Sunshine" fame and Peter Cetera also played F612s. Paul Simon played a few F30R's. Buddy Guy played a Starfire IV and later on a Nightbird. Duane Eddy of course had his own signature models listed as the DE400 and DE500 back in the 60's that were in production for years.

Some 80's Rock Artists that played Guilds include Mick Mars and Nikki Six from Motley Crue, Joe Perry from Aerosmith, Twisted Sister, Richard Marx, etc... Hope this helps!

I am sure there are several others but these are just off the top of my head right now and some I have listed are probably mentioned in the other listed threads.

TX

Eric P.

Reaction score
John Renbourn used a D-55 for a while and recorded "The Black Balloon" with it. Maybe not as big a star as some, but for English folk music and fingerpicking about as big as any.

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
Sheryl crow plays a guild bass. That patience video is what made me fall in love with guilds when I was like 10 years old. Thought if I got one I could play like that lol. Keller Williams used to play a guild 12 string, with the e strings not doubled up, so a 10 string

Bernie

Reaction score
Waouu.., there's been a lot going on on this thread since I've been here...Thank you all : John Renbourn, and Ralph Towner are among my most admired and respected guitar players (I love Ralph playing in Dis, an Ecm album with Jan Garbarek - outstanding 12 strings and nylon strings playing there...I wonder if the 12 strings is a Guild -quite likely I'd bet...). John too is someone very unique.
David Gilmour playing "Wish you were here", yes thought I could do better than him (but not right)... Guild 12 strings are usually considered as among the very very best.
Pete Townshend too ? anybody would know what acoustic guitar is being used in Tommy's studio recordings (I've always considered it was to be some Gibson Jumbo for some reason) ?
Great list Graytness, I'll go through it in detail later (have watched some Cat, Paul and someone else already forgot who).

Let me add Muddy Waters to the great bluesmen list such as Mississippi John Hurt and Buddy Guy...(many off you probably saw it on Guild's newsletter some days ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=Z1gpDcc3FBI

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
and Ralph Towner are among my most admired and respected guitar players (I love Ralph playing in Dis, an Ecm album with Jan Garbarek - outstanding 12 strings and nylon strings playing there...I wonder if the 12 strings is a Guild -quite likely I'd bet...)
As I understand it, that's the only brand Towner ever played:
http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-and-its-tools-ralph-towners-guild.html
Pete Townshend too ? anybody would know what acoustic guitar is being used in Tommy's studio recordings (I've always considered it was to be some Gibson Jumbo for some reason) ?
Yes, Gibson, on Tommy.
Don't think he had the Guild, yet.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As I understand it, that's the only brand Towner ever played:
http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/10/music-and-its-tools-ralph-towners-guild.html

Yes, Gibson, on Tommy.
Don't think he had the Guild, yet.

Tommy LP (1969; recorded 1968–69) and related singles
1968 Gibson J-200, sunburst finish;
Harmony Sovereign H-1270 12-string with trapeze tailpiece or other misc. 12-string.
Miscellaneous electrics, including:

1968 Gibson SG Special;
Gibson ES-355;
Fender Jazzmaster;
Fender Electric XII 12-string.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/history.html#stage70

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton on twin Songbirds:

Bernie

Reaction score
Thank you Adorshki and Westerly Wood for this very interesting information about these guitars being used by Ralph Towner and Peter Townshend...Did I get that P. Townshend was using some kind of J200 from the sound as it seems : interesting question...
If I ever get a good 12 stings, I will definitely have to check out some Guilds (if I can find any where I live)...I don't use them much though, and right now I have an acoustic electric Lag which is okay and that has interesting electronics. Got it at a bargain price and it seems good enough for me so far.

Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler both on Guilds.., I am less convinced by their choice, as I don't find the amplified sound they get truly outstanding. One would expect more from them, ain't it ? But maybe I'm asking for too much
But thanks for the video Jeff

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bernie,

i do think Pete was using his fave acoustic (the J200) on a lot of his recordings from 1968 and on. He wrote a song about his guitar even off one of his later solo albums. i forget the name of that album.

"I am sitting in a Sheraton Gibson playing by Gibson"...is like the first verse of the song :)

But he was all over the map with electrics. I bought and owned for years a Pete Townshend Schecter guitar. It was awesome!

oh, i need to correct myself, Sheraton Gibson was off Who Came First album: https://youtu.be/dzSlEOFzGOk

the tone of that guitar sounds to me like a J200 :)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thank you Adorshki and Westerly Wood for this very interesting information about these guitars being used by Ralph Towner and Peter Townshend...Did I get that P. Townshend was using some kind of J200 from the sound as it seems : interesting question...
Westerly's a much bigger fan than I am, so I'm sure that source he cited is a more complete recap, but I always remembered that the intro to "Pinball Wizard" was a Gibson, just couldn't remember the model.

Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler both on Guilds.., I am less convinced by their choice, as I don't find the amplified sound they get truly outstanding.
Well that was their "real" mission, to give genuine acoustic sound when amplified.
I don't think ANYbody expected 'em to perform a purely acoustic role, except maybe to practice.

One would expect more from them, ain't it ? But maybe I'm asking for too much
I'm wondering if you were aware of just how long Clapton's relationship with Guilds had been going on.
When he wanted a real acoustic instrument, he knew what to select:
4834592694_b1fa040f7d.jpg

Claptom-Guild.jpg

But it all started here, in '68:
4a74b60eda322bc0769b97198bf11010.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My next string purchase will be the Martin Eric Clapton strings, interestingly enough. I am not sure what the difference between them and the regular Martin acoustic PB strings. I doubt there is much of a diff at all, save for his name. For whatever reason, Martin PB sounds great on the Br, jangly too.

If anyone knows the difference, I would really like to know. Both made in mexico, all martin strings i think are now manufactured there. I cannot imagine what they can do to their basic $4 "Acoustic" traditional set to make it now $6 outside of his name and endorsement. Sweetwater is free shipping and they throw in a $1 worth of candy so not too shabby.

however, when i read the reviews, everyone seems to think they are different. LOL

Pete Townshend probably plays D'Addarios...

Bernie

Reaction score
"Simply the best guitar I've ever had" (Berne and his Martin)...

"Nothing is good enough but a Gibson" (Bernie and his Gibson)...

"I thought I had what was best : then came Guild..."(Bernie and his Guild guitar)...

(I don't have a Gibson, but for a free L-00, what would I say ?). These guys get the best big makes can build and these makers all have people very good at building great guitars...

When it comes to "Clapton's choice", I have tried his strings once, and I didn't find them a,ytho,g special : I like the regular SP...
Couldn't say what's the difference, or if there is a difference even - I couldn't be too sure -, but there seem to be some. The SP are definitely more reliable than their ordinary sets, and seem to sound better too (not only longer...).

Last edited: