Lindsay Buckingham fired from the Mac, Mike Campbell to replace

PittPastor

Reaction score
https://uproxx.com/music/lindsey-buckingham-quit-fleetwood-mac/

I listened to Rumors for like a year, senior year of high school. Loved that album. I do not really listen anymore, but I always liked Buckingham's playing, especially on Never Going Back and the solo on Chain. Just great stuff.

Weird. Headline says fired... story says quit. "You can't quit -- you're fired!"

Still, when you leave the band and it takes 2 new members to replace you, it must feel pretty good...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Weird. Headline says fired... story says quit. "You can't quit -- you're fired!"

Still, when you leave the band and it takes 2 new members to replace you, it must feel pretty good...

right, some say fired, some say quit. hard to know, i just find it interesting that Mike Campbell took the gig.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Lindsey can be a bit of a jerk, but he's a profoundly good musician and songwriter. Takes two guys to replace him, even when one of the is Mike Campbell!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution."

I find it amusing when a band thinks of themselves as "historic". And a "creative evolution". Really? When the last new album you put out was in 2003?

Sorry for the negativity. Too many of the bands I loved have become karaoke bands with a revolving cast of players. Yes, Journey, Chicago, Deep Purple, The Who, and many more. I guess the Stones are in there, too, although I hate to say it. It makes me sad....

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution."

I find it amusing when a band thinks of themselves as "historic". And a "creative evolution". Really? When the last new album you put out was in 2003?

Sorry for the negativity. Too many of the bands I loved have become karaoke bands with a revolving cast of players. Yes, Journey, Chicago, Deep Purple, The Who, and many more. I guess the Stones are in there, too, although I hate to say it. It makes me sad....

walrus

and they are all selling their songs to tv commercials, products, stuff they would have never done in 60s or 70s, "selling out". now it is common place :)

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The inclusion of Neil Finn just strikes me as bizarre. Finn enjoys collaborating with a variety of musicians (see, for example, his two "Seven Worlds Collide" projects). But he has his own extensive musical catalog spanning four decades. I can't see him joining Fleetwood Mac just to play the band's songs, and I also have trouble seeing Fleetwood Mac including Finn's music on a tour.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have an old double album of Mac with Peter Green when they were doing "The Blues."

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The inclusion of Neil Finn just strikes me as bizarre. Finn enjoys collaborating with a variety of musicians (see, for example, his two "Seven Worlds Collide" projects). But he has his own extensive musical catalog spanning four decades. I can't see him joining Fleetwood Mac just to play the band's songs, and I also have trouble seeing Fleetwood Mac including Finn's music on a tour.

I don't get that either Jeff. I'm a huge fan of the Finn brothers and all their projects, and I can only guess that the $$$ was pretty compelling. I certainly can't see FM covering Crowded House songs.

I have an old double album of Mac with Peter Green when they were doing "The Blues."

That's the iteration of FM that I like best!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's the iteration of FM that I like best!

Me, too, although I also enjoyed the Bob Welch iteration...

But I must say if you wanted to impress a girl in the late '70's, you played a cassette of "Rumours" in your car!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
and they are all selling their songs to tv commercials, products, stuff they would have never done in 60s or 70s, "selling out". now it is common place :)
Well the cynical take is that back then "they" (any underground rock band big enough to warrant an advertising licensing offer) would have wanted too much to preserve their artistic control and "integrity" anyway.
IF they actually got any offers.
I understand the Stones still turn down offers worth many thousands of dollars for a Depends endorsement.
And the medical equipment supply market seems to do pretty well without needing to advertise except in trade journals, so who needs endorsements for complete transfusion devices?
The last great "hip endorsements" were from the Jefferson Airplane for Levis.
Then they got kinda political and nobody wanted to touch 'em anymore.
And we all know what happened to Levis:
Dockers.

My personal take these days is:
"After all the f----ng b---s--t bands have to endure from their record companies, and while touring, and from the bloodsucking media, and just paying their dues in general, they're entitled to every last f----ing penny of royalties they can get"
Even the guys I don't like.

If Fleetwood and McVie wanna have another go with yet another iteration of the band, that's all right by me.
That takes a real pair, so to speak.
highres-fleetwood-mac-rumours_sq-bd15e71f50b6fbd94288a16014a69c8092ad9ff5-s900-c85.jpg

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score

Perhaps someone already made this point in this post, but I would like to add the 2-guitarist lineup's that were very memorable.

Fleetwood Mac states that the new lineup will add more of their classic material (from 1970 to 1974) when they featured 2 lead guitar players such as at first Peter Green & Danny Kirwin, and then Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin. This all took place after the original Fleetwood Mac had 3 guitarists: Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwin.

Last edited:

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
Perhaps someone already made this point in this post, but I like to add the 2-guitarist lineup's that were very memorable.

Fleetwood Mac states that the new lineup will add more of their classic material from 1970 to 1974 when they featured 2 lead guitar players such as at first Peter Green & Danny Kirwin, and then Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin. This all took place after the original Fleetwood Mac had 3 guitarists: Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwin.
Just to clarify, the original lineup was two guitarists, Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer, with Danny Kirwin joining later. They went back to two guitarists when Peter Green left. Peter Green briefly rejoined the band, to complete a tour, when Jeremy Spencer suddenly left to join a religious cult (The Children of God), before Bob Welch was brought in as a permanent replacement.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Back in MY day, if you wanted to impress a girl, you had an eight-track copy of a Peter Greene version of the band...or better yet, a John Mayall tape with the namesakes as the rhythm section...
Who the hell is Bob Welch? Now, pardon me while I go rub some linament on my Lubago...:neglected:

BTW, I had neither, at least in the car, though did have The Blues Project Live at Cafe a Go Go...I am glad my pretty had a more (umph?) refined taste (Dave Van Ronk! :biggrin-new:)

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
What was that album where they played with the Chicago blues players? Jeremy Spencer is on it pictured with a big Gibson ES-something. He looks about four feet tall!

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
What was that album where they played with the Chicago blues players? Jeremy Spencer is on it pictured with a big Gibson ES-something. He looks about four feet tall!

Blues Jam At Chess (later re-released as Blues Jam In Chicago). Some absolute legends on that. Jeremy Spencer is tiny, Fleetwood Mac must have had the biggest height differential of any all male band; Mick Fleetwood 6'6" and Jeremy Spencer, who was not much over 5'!

Last edited:

Dondoh

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if Fleetwood Mac totally reinvented itself yet again.
All their iterations are interesting, but they were so successful in the Buckingham/Nicks period that they've been doing that material/vibe forever.
New blood might be just what they need.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if Fleetwood Mac totally reinvented itself yet again.
All their iterations are interesting, but they were so successful in the Buckingham/Nicks period that they've been doing that material/vibe forever.
New blood might be just what they need.
That was the biggest take-away I got from Fleetwood's bio.
At one point I think it was during the Welch period, he and McVie decided that they would do whatever it took to maintain Fleetwood Mac as an ongoing enterprise: new blood would be assimilated as needed.
So this is simply ""business as usual" for them.

Just to clarify, the original lineup was two guitarists, Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer, with Danny Kirwan joining later. They went back to two guitarists when Peter Green left. Peter Green briefly rejoined the band, to complete a tour, when Jeremy Spencer suddenly left to join a religious cult (The Children of God), before Bob Welch was brought in as a permanent replacement.
Yes, although Fleetwood describes it as more akin to an abduction of an extremely psychically vulnerable Spencer.
Went out for a walk one afternoon and never showed up for that night's gig in LA, IIRC.
When he was finally located the cult actually tried to hide him.
This was eerily similar to the scenario which led to Green leaving the band earlier that year in Germany.
Fleetwood's bio is a treasure trove of info about their very early days and that poorly documented early '70's period, and even busts some myths about the "Big Mac" period.
Tellingly though, he gives very short shrift to the Welch period.
There was a royalties law suit brought by Welch, detailed on his Wiki page.
Who the hell is Bob Welch?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Welch_(musician)

My personal favorite period was the one that spawned "Oh Well" and "Green Manalishi", the late Peter Green period.
Paul McCartney even cops to having lifted the introductory riff to "Sun King" on Abbey Road from Green's "Albatross".
And although Fleetwood and McVie have been the band's continuous backbone since day one (well, a little bit after in McVie's case), let's not forget their original name was Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.
Hardcore Green fans might be interested in his little-known and severely overlooked solo album, The End of the Game.
Fans of that late Green period should look up the Boston Tea Party concerts available on CD in the last few years, it was manna from heaven when I first stumbled across it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Boston_(Fleetwood_Mac_album).

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But I must say if you wanted to impress a girl in the late '70's, you played a cassette of "Rumours" in your car!

walrus

same goes for 2018, and yes, cassettes are making a comeback!

but if u really want to impress her, play the bonus cd from the double-disc rumours package in the early 2000's. it is called "rough cuts and outtakes", or something of that nature. also "the Dance" from around the same time, is the live reunion show. those 2 cds and the original rumours are the goods!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also Mike Campell is major league, he is all over this, and Stevie Nicks played w The Heartbreakers a bunch (but I thought she was out of FM now?). Anyway, there is no replacing Lindsey Buckingham. maybe Steve Lukither from Toto could give it a shot with no second partner, but theres only one Lindsey.