are these warning signs?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
is this the beginning of a serious addiction? do i need to worry about them reproducing?

zvbx1jJ.png

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
That's good. Now if you smash one on stage during a show you have another ready to go!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nah - having two Guilds doesn't result in having so many that you lose count or are literally tripping over the cases in multiple rooms of your house. Nah. Never happens.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nah - having two Guilds doesn't result in having so many that you lose count or are literally tripping over the cases in multiple rooms of your house. Nah. Never happens.

What's really fun is before you get all organized and label the cases, is trying to remember what is in a case you don't recognize. Sort of like Guild roulette!

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Color-coded zip ties on the case handle D-rings: an unobtrusive way to flag what's in a one-of-too-many, identical case.

Don't ask why I know this...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's really fun is before you get all organized and label the cases, is trying to remember what is in a case you don't recognize. Sort of like Guild roulette!

Right? And then you pull out the "wrong" one and end up playing it for two hours and forget what you were looking for.

You know, hypothetically.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"And then you pull out the "wrong" one and end up playing it for two hours and forget what you were looking for."

Sir, are you trying to imply that there is such a thing as a "wrong" Guild bass? Oxymoron alert!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Luckily the "new" Starfire's case is significantly more worn than my other one, so at this point it's still easy to distinguish between Guild cases.

She's a 1967 SFB-II in satin natural mahogany. The previous owner bought it about 10 years ago from a guy in Berkeley, CA, who said it was alembic-modded in its past. At the point of that sale, the headstock face had already been stripped, it had a "big ugly brass bridge", and two low impedance single coil pickups in it, which were either dead or just didn't have the proper electronics on board to boost them up to normal output. Either way, they were lost and/or tossed along the way and replaced with two Lace Alumitone "Deathbuckers" which are technically designed for rock/metal guitar, so it was an interesting choice to say the least. They sound okay for bass, but I opted to put in a Schaller bass humbucker in the neck position that has the same footprint -- I had it in the parts drawer because I try to buy these up when they pop up for cheap; great beefy humbucker sound and nice single coil tone too when tapped. I tend to favor neck pickups, so the bridge pickup will remain for now as it does a decent job blending in extra highs and overtones when called for. Controls are factory configuration except that the pickup selector is where the tone-suck switch would have been and the switch on the horn is to tap the neck pickup to single coil. Overall, super happy to have this addition to the stable. The frets are original and in great shape. Set up beautifully and is a very comfy player and complements the 1970 Starfire nicely!

ZzhyjAI.jpg

vCQXvWW.jpg

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Got to playing the new-to-me Guild for an hour or so on my nice headphones tonight and enjoyed it so much that I decided to record a quick demo. As some of you know, I'm not really a big fan of soloed bridge pickups in general, but (technically being a guitar pickup) this one sounds particularly anemic and thin so I didn't feel it necessary to include when I recorded the clip. Alas and alack, now I kind of feel like I should have demonstrated it just for the sake of science. Oh well... but for now, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/mellowgerman/1967-starfire

P.S. though the bridge pickup sounds pretty weak on its own, I'm really liking how it blends with the neck pickup. Still debating whether or not to try a matching Schaller in the bridge position

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
is this the beginning of a serious addiction? do i need to worry about them reproducing?

zvbx1jJ.png

Nah, two doesn't even begin to denote a SERIOUS addiction. You need to have a lot more. When you are up to 30 and are hiding them at work, in vacation cottages, friends' houses, rehearsal studios and gig locations, then we can talk about SERIOUS. At that point, several of us can give you tips as to how better to hide them. 2? SERIOUS? Heck no!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Nah, two doesn't even begin to denote a SERIOUS addiction. You need to have a lot more. When you are up to 30 and are hiding them at work, in vacation cottages, friends' houses, rehearsal studios and gig locations, then we can talk about SERIOUS. At that point, several of us can give you tips as to how better to hide them. 2? SERIOUS? Heck no!

Whew! So I can safely acquire at least a few more vintage Starfire basses then? Also, would you be willing to explain this to my girlfriend?

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I'll have to listen a few more times, but so far I think #2 and #4 are my favorites. How did you have the tone knobs twiddled?

I must say: it was quite disappointing that you didn't play along with a CD, slapping the entire time and recording it with your old phone...

Neal

Reaction score
If you are gigging those, redundance is a very good thing. I always take two guitars to gigs, usually because my playing partner breaks strings left and right and needs to borrow one to finish the set!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
"And then you pull out the "wrong" one and end up playing it for two hours and forget what you were looking for."

Sir, are you trying to imply that there is such a thing as a "wrong" Guild bass? Oxymoron alert!

I was about to reply that "I don't know - I don't have any", but then I remembered that I do.

BTW it's totally not a problem that I forgot I had one...

dbirchett

Reaction score
Whew! So I can safely acquire at least a few more vintage Starfire basses then? Also, would you be willing to explain this to my girlfriend?

Sure.

x=optimum number of guitars (basses)
n=number you currently have

x=n+1

Simple math.

For that matter, what is a girlfriend doing, telling you how many guitars you can or can't have. Do you tell her how many shoes/purses she can have?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For that matter, what is a girlfriend doing, telling you how many guitars you can or can't have. Do you tell her how many shoes/purses she can have?

I was considering going down that road but it seems so terribly sexist to assume that men have uncontrollable urges to collect guitars.