Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"The Trees" - Rush

walrus

"No Regrets" - Tom Rush

And if you want to play along (courtesy AGF):

Tuning is CGCGCE.

The intro riff is just 4th string on frets 4 and 2.

verse chords: open C and 0-0-0-2-0-1 (F/C, kind of)
then these:
0-0-0-5-4-3 (C)
0-0-0-3-2-1 (Bb/C, orC9sus)
0-0-0-2-0-1 (F again)
then that 4th string into riff.

The two shapes for the chorus riff are these:
0-0-0-4-0-3 (Cmaj7)
0-0-0-2-0-1 (F/C)
then he plays a couple of full barres for F (fret 5) and Bb (fret 10), and 12th fret harmonics for C.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn

"Ride the Tiger"-
Jefferson Starship

giphy.gif

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, you have to explain the connection to the Vera Lynn song me - I'm curious!

walrus

"We'll Meet Again" is closing scene tune from "Dr. Strangelove":

One of my favorite scenes is native Texan B52 pilot Major Kong riding the bomb down its glide path and shouting "whoopee!" all the way.
:eek-new:

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... native Texan B52 pilot Major Kong riding the bomb down its glide path and shouting "whoopee!" all the way.:eek-new:

Now THAT is just plain sick! - even at war. My late father was captain in artillery during war. He had about hundred cannons in his command. He with his men must have sent uncountable russians to their maker. He never ever bragged about it. If he ever talked about the war it was more on how horrible it is that people do such thing and that we should thrive for piece.

Back to thread

Taming The Tiger - Joni Mitchell

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now THAT is just plain sick! - even at war.

It is a satire, also called "black comedy", and war has not actually been declared , but a pre-emptive B52 bomber strike has been launched by a rogue US Air Force base commander.
When discovered by the US President, he alerts the Russian Premier to the problem so that they have enough warning time to be able to shoot down the bombers, because the rogue officer who launched the strike is the only one who has the recall code.
One lone plane, Major Kong's, manages to penetrate the Russian defenses but in the process its radio decoder (and bomb bay) is damaged and it can't receive the recall message when its finally discovered, so Kong does his duty by manually releasing the bomb which has become hung up in the damaged bomb bay.
This summary leaves out the various scenarios related to the launch of the attack and the interchanges between the Russian ambassador and the US President which are really at the heart of the movie.
Director Stanley Kubrick was already well-known for his anti-war philosophy:
Prior to ""Dr. Strangelove" he directed "Paths of Glory" about a French officer who defends his court-martialed soldiers in WWI for refusing to go into the massive meat grinder of Verdun.
There are a couple of others in his canon too, but rest assured the real message gets through if one watches "Strangelove" in its entirety.
:friendly_wink:

Back to thread

"Big Electric Cat"
-Adrian Belew

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My absolute favorite movie of all time! "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb." Monumental performances by Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens, and one of James Earl Jones' first film roles.

But I'm still not making the connection to "Ride The Tiger..."

I'll play along though: "Stray Cat Strut," Brian Setzer & Stray Cats

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Ride the Tiger"-

"Big Electric Cat"-Adrian Belew

My absolute favorite movie of all time! "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The War." Monumental performances by Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens, and one of James Earl Jones' first film roles.

Yes - the movie is fun in it's own strange way - but that scene is disgusting.

Anyhooo - we seem to have keeping good track wit'em felines - so what can I come up with?

Cat Stevens - But I might Die Tonight

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Strangelove"'s a monster, all right, one of my favorites too with at least a couple of other fans here as well.
In fact, per Wiki, in 1989 the United States Library of Congress included Dr. Strangelove in the first group of films selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.
So:
Major Kong is metaphorically Riding the Tiger:
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ride+a+tiger
"Ride a Tiger:
take on a responsibility or embark on a course of action which subsequently cannot safely be abandoned.
The expression comes from the Chinese proverb ‘He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount’."
Yes - the movie is fun in it's own strange way - but that scene is disgusting.
OK, couldn't remember if you knew of it but got the impression you didn't, from the anecdote.
Must be a cultural thing, the "over-the-topness" of it definitely strikes the nervous laughter chord over here.
Anyhooo - we seem to have keeping good track wit'em felines - so what can I come up with?
Cat Stevens - But I might Die Tonight
NOW who's being dark?!?
:glee:

"Have You Seen The Stars Tonight"
-Jefferson Starship

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Will It Go 'Round In Circles," Billy Preston. Great shot of Billy, George Harrison, and President Gerald Ford at about 2:08

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://youtu.be/ghj5V5cUo1s[/FONT]

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Will It Go 'Round In Circles," Billy Preston. Great shot of Billy, George Harrison, and President Gerald Ford at about 2:08

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://youtu.be/ghj5V5cUo1s[/FONT]

OK I can see a couple of 'em slipped in while I was still composing, so understand I got "out of order" but I don't get which post this is supposed to connect to?
"Piano Man" should have been "last up"...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
OK I can see a couple of 'em slipped in while I was still composing, so understand I got "out of order" but I don't get which post this is supposed to connect to?
"Piano Man" should have been "last up"...

I'm assuming Billy Joel leads to Billy Preston...

https://youtu.be/ghj5V5cUo1s

"I Will" - The Beatles

walrus