The Song Title Game

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Spinning Wheel," Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Sometimes ya just gotta take a double shot, Steve!

Heck sometimes it's all I can do to reign myself in!

"Stuck in the Middle With You"-Stealers Wheel
Bonus points for a thematic connection.
Oh heck, I can't resist punching the nostalgia button:
"Baker Street" - Gerry Rafferty (co-founder of Stealers Wheel)
Edit: Oh man, Jeff squeezed in!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Downtown," Petula Clark. You may all barf now.

Actually as a lover of '60's pop I liked that one.
A lot!
And just for the "shock value", here's the story of the recording session from "the usual source" (my highlights):

"Downtown" was recorded on 16 October 1964 at the Pye Studios in Marble Arch. Thirty minutes before the session was scheduled, Hatch was still touching up the song's lyrics in the studio's washroom. Hatch said of his arrangement: "I had to connect with young record buyers... but not alienate Pet[ula]'s older core audience... The trick was to make a giant orchestra sound like a rock band."[3] The session personnel for the recording of "Downtown" who were assembled in Studio One of Pye Recording Studios – Hatch insisted that all session personnel on his productions be recorded performing together – included eight violinists, two viola players and two cellists, four trumpeters and four trombonists, five woodwind players with flutes and oboes, percussionists, a bass player and a pianist. Also playing on the session were guitarists Vic Flick*, Jimmy Page and Big Jim Sullivan, as well as drummer Ronnie Verrell, while The Breakaways provided the vocal accompaniment. Hatch's assistant Bob Leaper conducted.[8] According to Petula Clark, the session for "Downtown" consisted of three takes with the second take ultimately chosen as the completed track, yet elsewhere, an "extended" version, consisting of an instrumental and backing vocal track most likely from a session tape, makes this claim questionable.[9]
*my note: Flick was the guy who played the original "James Bond riff", and its close copy in the movie "Help!":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Flick

Nice trumpet on the fadeout, too!
Writer Tony Hatch and Petula Clark were the "Brit equivalent" of their US contemporaries Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick.
He also wrote "I Know A Place" and "Don't Sleep in the Subway", and "Call Me", which Chris Montez hit with in the US before Clark's version got here.
He got around, even producing the Searchers and David Bowie very early on in the game:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hatch

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"When The River Runs Dry" - Hunters And Collectors

"4 Sticks"- Led Zeppelin
(lyric)

Edit:
DANG!
I really gotta stop moonin' over all the connections I stumble across before I hit the "reply" button !
:glee:
"I shall have to pass the shoe"
54d53e2d662c0.jpg

Last edited: