maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_mntawtQ7Zq1rr8il6o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
was that their name before Jefferson?
Different band:
"Darby Slick played guitar in the Great Society, the band his sister-in-law, Grace Slick, sang in before joining the Jefferson Airplane. He also wrote "Somebody to Love," which Grace Slick introduced into the Jefferson Airplane's repertoire, and sang lead on when the Airplane recorded it for a Top Ten hit. More important, though, Slick was a skilled and distinctive guitarist and songwriter who made a substantial contribution to the birth of San Francisco psychedelic rock, particularly through his mix of rock and Indian styles. He is more obscure than he should be because the Great Society broke up after issuing just one rare single, although several albums' worth of live and demo recordings have subsequently become available...As a guitarist he wove modal, Eastern-influenced jams into songs such as "Grimly Forming," "Arbitration," "White Rabbit," and their cover of "Sally Go 'Round the Roses." All of those songs can be heard on Collector's Item, a CD of live 1966 performances. "
(Source credit: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/darby-slick-mn0000572384 )
The song that should also be included on that list "Father Bruce" which is probably the seminal "SF raga rock" sound, probably influenced by Revolver and East/ West, widely considered to be the original "raga rock" tune.
It features Grace on an oboe for that authentic "snake charmer" vibe.
(As does "White Rabbit")
Their versions of the 2 biggest charting Airplane tunes are very different indeed.
I think I actually prefer their version of "White Rabbit"!
:friendly_wink:
The album "Collector's Item" contains Conspicuous Only in its Absence and How it Was combined into a 2-disk set.
Wiki page is pretty good, too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Society_(band)

GuildedCage

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it's definitely Paul McCartney - Beatles, of course! From the "Let It Be" album.

"Wind Me Up" - Bootsy Collins

walrus

''Up where we belong'' - Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes Hope I am not intruding!:wink-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
''Up where we belong'' - Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes Hope I am not intruding!:wink-new:
Not at all...Only way this thread will never die is if we keep adding new members to our ranks.
BTW you might want to start being careful about going out during daytime or eating garlic, from here on out.
:glee:
"Where Were You When I Needed You"-Herman's Hermits

GuildedCage

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not at all...Only way this thread will never die is if we keep adding new members to our ranks.
BTW you might want to start being careful about going out during daytime or eating garlic, from here on out.
:glee:
"Where Were You When I Needed You"-Herman's Hermits

''I need you'' - America The animals in my yard provide me with all the ''Juice'' I need, and I just got another Guild so I see no need to leave my house. My hair might be too messy to go out anyway but I wouldn't know because I can't see my reflection. Meh

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
"this isn't what the govermeant" Also David Gates & Bread

Sorry but I could not pass the opportunity up...........

Now I will go back to work before the cabbages and tomatoes fly :abnormal:

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Ballet Of Bread Rolls - Charlie Chaplin

Oops - I somehow missed it by minutes - Let´s try another

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan

Last edited: