Introduction - M-20 content

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am new to the forum but not new to guitars. I have mostly owned Larrivee and Martin guitars in the past, with a couple of others thrown in for good measure. I just turned 53. All of my kids are grown and out of the house; now it's just my wife, our two dogs and me - in that order...thank goodness we don't have a cat or I would be even lower on the pecking order. The good thing about being last is that most of the time you get lost in the shuffle and no one knows what you're doing.

Anyway, I live about 45 minutes southeast of Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. While perusing their website yesterday I came upon a lovely Guild USA model - the M-20...watched some YouTube videos...and pretty much fell in love. I currently own a Martin 000-18 that I love. I tried dreads several times but am just not in love with them. I have found that I am a smaller body kind of guy and the M-20 is in my cross hairs. That "love at first sight/listen" caused me to search out this forum. I want to learn more about the M-20.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. I look forward to learning more about Guild guitars, particularly the M-20, and participating in some great discussion.

Thanks,

Rob

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rob:
Welcome and on one section of the forum--toward the bottom--is members reviews. Click on acoustic and scroll down toward bottom and think 5 members have given reviews for the M 20

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hi Rob, welcome to LTG!
Was going to suggest the same thread as Bonneville, but he beat me to it :)

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome, Rob . . . sounds as though you should take a 45 minute drive, & then post your own review!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...All of my kids are grown and out of the house...

Excellent! :untroubled: Welcome to the forums!

...I came upon a lovely Guild USA model - the M-20...

I don't know jack about that model. :blushed: I'm mainly into the jumbos. I did have several OM Epiphone Masterbilts (EF-500), so I understand how that size is very comfortable, and can still be sonic. Plus, recently picked up an OM sized Martin 12-string, which is a kick to pick. Have fun with that M20!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Hi Rob...welcome aboard. I am dangerously close to your age and we have dangerously similar taste in guitars....although we acquired them in a differing order (and had children at different stages of life too). I too am growing tired of playing dreads and I've long lusted for an M-20. As I understand, the M-20 had originally been Guild's response to a Martin 0-17. As you know...they are similar but not quite the same animal. I'm not sure whether you were looking at a vintage American M-20 or a newer version...which could be American or imported (M-120). The vintage version has an almost cult like following and the new American version receives praise as well. It is the first model that Guild (re)-introduced when they moved into their new(est) factory. I have an older one and love it...despite its atypically narrow nut width. The M-20 is what caused me to want a 000-18...so I scratched that itch. The newer American version will have a much more similar neck/nut when compared to your 000-18 (if you have one of the 2014 or newer 000-18's). M-20's are small and some find them to sound boxy...but I am not among them. They are exactly what they are intended to be...and they thrive within their respective arena. I smile every time I play my little M-20 and I think that the M-20 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I have a good dread (a 2012 D-40) that doesn't get much play these days because I am more drawn to the small bodied guitars. I haven't given serious thought to parting with the D-40 as it always gives me that Oooomph that none of my small bodied guitars could provide. In other words...each guitar has its strengths and weaknesses.