How an Electric Guitar Works

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Great thread. Re. Roger Mayer's comments on pickups, I think they apply when it comes to variances in a particular pickup design—say, a tall & narrow coil with the magnet(s) inside the coil and wound with a particular gauge of wire—but are less relevant once you change the pickup recipe. Two of Seth Lover's Gibson designs, the mini-humbucker (originally for Epiphone models) and the Firebird, are mostly the same pickup. But the former has a bar magnet under the coils while the latter has a magnet inside each coil. Makes quite a difference sonically.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Re. Roger Mayer's comments on pickups, I think they apply when it comes to variances in a particular pickup design—say, a tall & narrow coil with the magnet(s) inside the coil and wound with a particular gauge of wire—but are less relevant once you change the pickup recipe. Two of Seth Lover's Gibson designs, the mini-humbucker (originally for Epiphone models) and the Firebird, are mostly the same pickup. But the former has a bar magnet under the coils while the latter has a magnet inside each coil. Makes quite a difference sonically.

-Dave-

Good point, he specifically addressed the "number of windings" issue vs the mass of the string itself, saying he thought Leo got it just about right the first time around..so really was only talking about Strat pickups.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Don't forget superposition, it really simplifies analysis sometimes.

I suppose the most fundamental way to look at vibrating strings near a pickup is to say that the permanent magnets that are part of the pickup setup a static magnetic field. Then, a ferrous but stationary string causes distortions in the field. A vibrating string causes vibrating distortions, for want of a better description. The coils don't care about the static part, they only see the changing part, the vibrating part, which in this case is all mixed up with a stationary part that doesn't matter. It's really difficult to visualize just the changing part.

But there's a much simpler way to look at it. The string does become magnetized (it is correct to say that.) The resulting field (what we called a distorted field above) is just the sum of the permanent magnet and the magnetized string. That's superposition. Easy Peasy. If the string is vibrating, then the resulting field is just that of the permanent magnet summed with that of the vibrating string. But we already said that the coil of wire doesn't care about the static part, just the changing part. From this perspective, it's easy (ok, less difficult) to visualize the changing part: it's that of the vibrating string. In other words, you get the right answer if you just consider the magnetized string and ignore the permanent magnet entirely - except for the fact that it magnetizes the string. After it's done that, you can ignore it.

The only leak in the bucket is a very tiny one. The degree to which the string is magnetized depends on where it is within the field of the permanent magnet. So, if in the course of vibrating it moves farther away from and then closer to the magnet, its own magnetization changes slightly. But it's what physicists and engineers call a secondary effect. It's small compared to the whole.

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
How about the other way around. Loop some wire around a ferrous rod, apply current to the wire, and the rod becomes magnetic.

It's called Electromagnetism for a reason. :emmersed:

And, you just described how a solenoid works . . . for example, in the starter motor mounted in your car.

Furthermore, if you suspend a magnet on a spring, inside a coil of wire, you've now got a geophone. That's the gizmo that records earth vibrations recorded by seismographs, e.g. when an earthquake occurs.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
The concept that the string is "magnetized" I believe is a simplification. Any conductor that cuts the field generated by the pickup will actually create a distortion and therefore could be detected if the remainder of the circuitry was sensitive enough. In reality, the ferrous materials provide such a great response by amount of distortion in the field there is not much demand to get more "exotic". (excerpt from our resident PhD in physics...)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been on the boring side of Electronics classes and Physics too, but never went far with it. ( It turned into a Comp Sci degree ) ,but this thread got me thinking.

1) Ferrous metals are easy to magnetize. I have a screw driver magnetizer that I use by rubbing it on a normal screw driver to make it temporarily a magnetic tip. Works fast, but doesn't last long.

2) If the string in the magnetic field of the pickup DOES become magentized, ( which I am not quite convinced of ) then the more it is in the field, the more it becomes a magnet.

3) A magnet in another magnetic field has MORE of an effect than just a wire of ferrous metal. ( Try pushing magnets together or pulling them apart. )

4) Would it not them make sense that strings played a lot or even just ON the guitar near the pickup become MORE magnetized and have MORE of a effect on the pickup and so would be louder ? If it does not actually become magnetized, but simply stays a conductor moving within a static magnetic field, then the effects would not change, over time, and the guitar sound would not change.

matsickma

Reaction score
As I look at all the subtle difference in features and points raised it is becoming apparent to me that in general the basic functional operation is straight forward. However all the other subtle dufferences like how hard the string is picked and the resulting variance in the magnetic field, the position and placement of the pickup, potential distortion due to superposition of induced magnetism on the string. (I'm not sure this becomes distortion if the response is a linear copy of vibrating string. Maybe distortion is the wrong term.)
All these factors impact the final sound that no one in advance would have predicted sonically.

How does one explain all the different tones you can make on a non amplified guitar by the way the pick or your finger attacks the strings. You can get "pinch harmonics" and palm dampening to get very diffrrent sounds. When amplified these techniques lead to a whole new dimension of toned if played through a clean or heavily saturated amp. A clean pinch harmonic becomes a wailing feedback in a saturated amp.

And so as much as engineers can design the basic equipment the musicians make the ultimate determination of what the tone sounds like. Leo Fender really was the most prolific of them all as he evolved the guitars, pickups, guitar parts and amps to an incredible degree of variation. He really was incredible (or he and his team of design / inventors).

And so we muse about all the things that affect the sonic outcome when 70 years ago Leo and others started building these things and through steady iterations evolved them forward.
M

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... 2) If the string in the magnetic field of the pickup DOES become magentized, ( which I am not quite convinced of ) then the more it is in the field, the more it becomes a magnet. ...

Hello

About 15-20 years ago I got to think it would be nice to get a BIG magnetizing unit. I was busy repairing loudspeakers, and while re-coning is a piece of cake with no particularly special tools, every now and then people carried me their vintage personal treasures, where the magnet had gone off-center. So the voice coil got jammed between the pole piece and face plate. Only clean way to fix it would be to use magnetizer as demagnetizer by introducing opposite schock. Then dismantle the speaker - clean debris etc - recenter parts with thin glue - and magnetize the whole schabang again. There was this guy in England - he made those units - he was very friendly and after me telling him I need to magnetize a ring, that has 8 inch outer diameter and 5 inch inner dia plus it is 1 inch thick - he quickly calculated the size of the unit - and told me it would be about 10000 british pounds. A bit expensive for my then needs.

The principle of that unit is like camera flash - you charge capacitors and then switch that power through a coil - the magnet to be is connected in series with that coil. Sounds simple - but the energy in that pulse was something outrageous. He was talking of a pulse of tens of kilovolts amplitude with thousands of amps current. Very short pulse - only few milliseconds. So the unit was capable of producing one pulse per second using 240V 16A household outlet as source.

When I told, that I needed only one or two pulses per year and suggested the possibility to tickle charge capacitors he said it is a no-go, while they bleed and so have to be charged rapidly. Then I proposed the possibility of having smaller scale unit and leave the speaker in it for long time - even for moths. That was a no-go, too - he told me why:

And here finally my answer to JohnW63 - if we expose the item to magnetic pulse once, it gets a certain level of magnetism - and after that - no matter if we continue with same power pulses to eternity - the magnetism gets only about 20% higher from that initial level , that was caused by the very first pulse.

All above is way back - and I might remember the exact volt/amp values wrong, but they are in the right ballpark. Pulse power about 300kW

So the string of electric guitar does not become a magnet . . .