Should I drill out the tuner holes on this '69 D-40 or not?

Islandtexan

Reaction score
I've talked about this guitar on the forum before. This was given to me a couple of years ago by a friend and the only other owner of this near-perfect D-40 that's spent almost all its life in a case in a closet. Of course, I've surfed around Reverb, etc. and realize this guitar is not worth a fortune but would probably bring four figures without much effort. I took it to a trusted tech and proprietor of a well-respected mom & pop store. He confirmed no need for a neck reset and did a really simple set-up while he had it. It has the original tuning keys which regretably are these stiff, Japanese-made crummy tuners. They are the worst thing about this guitar. But... it does stay in tune and they aren't really unsightly. So here's where I am with this: I have the beautiful set of Schaller DaVinci tuners I was going to install. I got as far as taking off one of the old ones, only to find these new ones are a bit bigger. Drilling out the holes involves dealing with the black veneer top with its Chesterfield logo. I think it could be done if care is taken without damage. But it does mean adulterating an all-original fifty year old dreadnaught. FWIW, I have no real intention of selling this guitar, but someday my decision now might weigh on the next owner, even if it it's through my will. What do you guys think? Do what feels good in regard to quality tuners and blow off the thing about originality? Or maintain the pristine originality for the sake of posterity or perhaps monetary value and just put up with rather low-end tuners? Oh yeah - one more thing: I don't think this guitar will likely ever leave my house except perhaps to a friend's just to show it off. It is unlikely to ever be a performance instrument while I own it. I welcome all suggestions and promise I won't tinker with this thing for a while. The tuners can always find another home.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
guitars are for playing...upgrade your tuners and be happy.:courage:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Schaller Davinci IS an upgrade and to not improve it would be jusr an ego stroke when telling someone about it. And from your writings you do not seem to need an ego boost.
I have stated on this forum I am looking for a D40 and those Schaller Davinci tuners would be a plus in my mind.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you can’t find good tuners in the right size ?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regardless of whether you should, or should not, change tuners; DON’T drill the holes to make them bigger. You’re asking for trouble; not just having the bit skip and ruin the overlay, but not having it stay centered.
What you want to use is a tapered reamer to ream the hole bigger. That is the standard procedure for luthiers.

A second best best would be to use a step drill bit, and go SLOW!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regardless of whether you should, or should not, change tuners; DON’T drill the holes to make them bigger. You’re asking for trouble; not just having the bit skip and ruin the overlay, but not having it stay centered.
What you want to use is a tapered reamer to ream the hole bigger. That is the standard procedure for luthiers.

He speaks the truth.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

^^^^ What he said. If you CANNOT find tuners to fit (which if you work a bit you could probably do, ask Hans Moust here on the forum for help, he's a nice guy) I'd not drill out the holes in the guitar unless it's a wreck, then do what you want!!!

Sal

Reaction score
^^^^ If you CANNOT find tuners to fit (which if you work a bit you could probably do, ask Hans Moust here on the forum for help, he's a nice guy) I'd not drill out the holes in the guitar unless it's a wreck, then do what you want!!!

I agree. Find a top notch set of tuner that will fit the existing holes.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Leave them alone. They work. They are original. I've seen too many butchered tuner installations.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I upgrade the tuners on most of the vintage guitars I acquire. (Those three-on-a-plank tuners are awful!)

As others have said, never use a drill.

Rather, use a hand reamer. Not only will they enlarge the hole, but they'll keep the hole centered. When you use a drill, unless you've got the headstock locked down and you're using a drill press, the bit will find the path of least resistance and enlarge the hole off-center. Drills are also too hard to control and you risk chipping the wood.

Good luck!

bobouz

Reaction score
Whenever possible, always go for an option that is reversible (does not require structural modifications).

Sure, those Schaller tuners would represent a modest modification, but why not first look for a good quality tuner that will drop in? Then the original tuners can just go in the case pocket, to be passed forward to the next owner.

Especially on a good quality vintage piece, the closer you can remain to original, the better.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I bought my 1957 Gibson LG2-3/4 about thirty years abo. It had original three-on-a-plank tuners, that were so hard to use even after cleaning and oiling, that I soon decided to upgrade. I have gold plated Schallers , that were original Gibson spares - they have Gibson on them instead of Schaller. Holes were enlarged with reamer. The backside of peghead looks a bit awkward, because the old screw holes are there, but very few ever look there. After this upgrade the guitar has been nothing but joy. Never regretted once.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
On the other hand, if you're having a luthier resent the neck, why not add tuner installation to the job? A reset disqualifies the guitar from collector status, so you're not devaluing the guitar by putting on better tuners.

Islandtexan

Reaction score
On the other hand, if you're having a luthier resent the neck, why not add tuner installation to the job? A reset disqualifies the guitar from collector status, so you're not devaluing the guitar by putting on better tuners.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. This guitar does not need a reset. Other than the crappy tuners, the only thing it needed was a replacement for the lousy chipboard case, which I did. It has a fat neck of that era, made in Hoeboken, light as a feather, aged to a golden hue without a scratch. A couple of very minor 'buckle dents' on the back of the mahogany body. I don't play bluegrass or even flatpick on this one. Not a pickmark on it. As I expected, lots of differing opinions so far. Keep 'em coming. Thanks for the feedback and advice so far.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Perhaps I wasn't clear. This guitar does not need a reset. Other than the crappy tuners, the only thing it needed was a replacement for the lousy chipboard case, which I did. It has a fat neck of that era, made in Hoeboken, light as a feather, aged to a golden hue without a scratch. A couple of very minor 'buckle dents' on the back of the mahogany body. I don't play bluegrass or even flatpick on this one. Not a pickmark on it. As I expected, lots of differing opinions so far. Keep 'em coming. Thanks for the feedback and advice so far.

I don't think there are differing opinions. Here's my summary of what I see in the thread:

Better tuners are a good thing.
Don't drill your guitar.
Try to keep any mods reversible.
If you feel that a non-reversable mod to the wood is required, bring it to a pro.

To summarize my summary; if you want better tuners, don't drill your guitar.

docfishr

Reaction score
Wow! I was unaware that Guild ever used MIJ tuners on any of their models. I'd like to see a pic.

And I have seen many tuner replacements that are done well, so if you intend to play the thing you will like the change. But if you intend to have it sit in your collection leave it original.
Or not.
As Stuball pointed out, many of us find a good tuner upgrade to be a desirable thing.

Bottom line its your guitar do what you want.

Last edited:

Sal

Reaction score
A '69 D40 is pretty cool! I also really like those Schaller DaVinci tuners you're considering, very unique. But to my eye those Shallers belong on a contemporary guitar. If it were my project I'd say yes to a tuner upgrade but I'd try to keep it close to period correct. Vintage style Waverly or Grover?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A reset disqualifies the guitar from collector status

I disagree with this statement. If a vintage guitar has had a quality reset that will obviate the need for one for many years, I believe it actually enhances the value. More true for 12 strings, but for 6 strings as well. At least for me.